• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Diablo 3 beta and release

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i got two guest passes(same content as open beta weekend) and if someone wants to try the game, i can give one of those

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
yay, just finished act1

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm excited to play Diablo III, though I did not get it at the midnight release (I'm playing other games, and as a result saw no need to do so).

Diablo I and II were really defining games in my childhood. Diablo I was the first PC game I was ever into. I was a hardcore Blizzard fanatic, but I was turned off by WoW. Online play generally doesn't appeal to me, and the sheer amount of time my friends spent on WoW made me adamant about not playing it for fear of doing the same.

I'll bet I pick it up within the next couple weeks. Personally, I hope Mephisto makes an appearance and he's a bit more of a force. I always thought he was clearly the real main villain. Lord of Hatred was so much more thematically impressive than Lord of Destruction or Lord of Terror. Plus, if I remember right, he was the eldest of the three.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Cool. Why does it require internet connection even on single player? Is it mainly to keep a real-time log of progress, stats, etc?

Has to do with ensuring game integrity: if they're going to monetize the sale of virtual items and currency they need to ensure that people aren't duping items or hacking the game in some way to get an advantage. It'd ruin the economy.

Also, is there really much of an advantage or disadvantage in getting the downloadable digital copy online vice picking up a hard copy at the store?

No difference, other than the wonderful new-game smell.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Has to do with ensuring game integrity: if they're going to monetize the sale of virtual items and currency they need to ensure that people aren't duping items or hacking the game in some way to get an advantage. It'd ruin the economy.

No difference, other than the wonderful new-game smell.

Cool. So I went ahead and got the digi copy last night, and have just set up my character (monk). Now as a noob, should I start single player or go multi player? I enjoy multi-player games more, but would it be more beneficial for me to play first in single player to get familiar?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Cool. So I went ahead and got the digi copy last night, and have just set up my character (monk). Now as a noob, should I start single player or go multi player? I enjoy multi-player games more, but would it be more beneficial for me to play first in single player to get familiar?

More of a personal choice than anything. I found that playing an open game with other people had a far faster pace and is better for when you're just grinding items/experience and not really concerned with exploring or the story. Playing alone affords you control over the pacing of the story or exploration without other players triggering story events you're not ready for. If you go the multiplayer route, the game ramps up monster difficulty depending on how many players are in your game, so it's never too easy, and there's no such thing as stealing loot because every player sees their own items drop from any monster killed.

My first playthrough, I'll likely do solo or perhaps join some public games if I get too bored.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
More of a personal choice than anything. I found that playing an open game with other people had a far faster pace and is better for when you're just grinding items/experience and not really concerned with exploring or the story. Playing alone affords you control over the pacing of the story or exploration without other players triggering story events you're not ready for. If you go the multiplayer route, the game ramps up monster difficulty depending on how many players are in your game, so it's never too easy, and there's no such thing as stealing loot because every player sees their own items drop from any monster killed.

My first playthrough, I'll likely do solo or perhaps join some public games if I get too bored.
Alright, it looks like I'll go single player my first time through.

I booted it up and it doesn't run as smoothly as I thought it would, considering the graphics aren't over the top to begin with. I have a year old Macbook Pro. I guess I can't play with all my settings on high, which sucks because I much enjoy the visual aspect of games.

If anyone has advice for which graphics settings to tweak/not tweak, lemme know. I haven't installed a computer game in years. hah

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
how are the servers holding up? are they getting better?

so excited to try it out when I get home tonight. Still have to buy and install it though. hoping the servers aren't TOO fucked by then.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
"11:30 a.m. PDT- We are in the process of performing an emergency maintenance for Diablo III servers in the Americas to resolve several issues that are currently impacting the game. This maintenance may cause some interruption in communication, ability to log in, use of in-game features, and disconnections. We anticipate all servers will be available for play at approximately 1:30 p.m. PDT. We will provide further updates as necessary. Thank you for your patience."

Haha. Oh Blizzard.

I love all the people who complain, saying "I took sick days for this!" Online launches like this NEVER WORK ON THE FIRST DAY. EVER.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
"11:30 a.m. PDT- We are in the process of performing an emergency maintenance for Diablo III servers in the Americas to resolve several issues that are currently impacting the game. This maintenance may cause some interruption in communication, ability to log in, use of in-game features, and disconnections. We anticipate all servers will be available for play at approximately 1:30 p.m. PDT. We will provide further updates as necessary. Thank you for your patience."

Haha. Oh Blizzard.

I love all the people who complain, saying "I took sick days for this!" Online launches like this NEVER WORK ON THE FIRST DAY. EVER.
People should have taken their sick days on D3 (day 3).

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I suck.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
how are the servers holding up? are they getting better?

so excited to try it out when I get home tonight. Still have to buy and install it though. hoping the servers aren't TOO fucked by then.

I haven't had many problems, TBH. It was bad RIGHT at launch. It took me 45 minutes to get in because the server was overloaded. I have played seamlessly without lag since then. I can't seem to add people to my friends list, though. It gives me a 'Server Timeout' error.

Very playable, though.

P.S. Level 30 now.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Does it seem weird that a year old Macbook Pro would have difficulty running the game smoothly on high settings?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
No, it probably has an Intel HD3000 in it [mine does at least], which doesn't meet Diablo III's OSX minimum requirements.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
No, it's probably got an Intel HD3000 in it [mine does at least], which doesn't meet Diablo III's OSX minimum requirements.

Oh, you're right it does. What kind of crap is that? Mac's upper end lap tops can't even run this game properly because the graphics card sucks? Over priced POS.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I turned off shadows and that helped quite a bit. This game kicks ass!

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
installing now :happy2:

edit: well shit. queued order = lame. I have a physical CD (not mine) and also bought the game online, but they apparently still have to go through the orders manually? lame ass shit.