• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cool Story Bro

F

figsfiggyfigs

She's not nearly compelling enough for all that.

Yup. I thought it was such a outrageous remark, I couldn't even comment on it.
It's not only Kdude that has mentioned this. The comparisons have been made in articles about vagina-lips a few times, which makes it even sadder.

Sorry [MENTION=9214]KDude[/MENTION], but I'm going to have to punch you.

KDude

Yup. I thought it was such a outrageous remark, I couldn't even comment on it.
It's not only Kdude that has mentioned this. The comparisons have been made in articles about vagina-lips a few times, which makes it even sadder.

I can take it. :cool:

Anyways, I'm not talking about quality. Just the style and production.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I like Lana Del Rey and I find her little world charming. She makes some of her own videos, and I think her "old Hollywood" obsession is fun, and I find her lyrics vulnerable and honest, something that is rare in today's society of emotional detachment, divorce, living alone, and ridiculing people for needing other people, or for not moving along quickly.

Also, I think some women feel threatened by the fact that her sexuality is so traditionally submissive, and she plays on the whole "gangster moll" stereotype of the early 20th century U.S.

I'm used to people not necessarily being able to appreciate the art of someone who does have more production involved, like Panic! at the Disco for example. I still love their first album six years later, I find it fucking impressive that some seventeen year olds put it together.

To each their own.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

What's the problem? Nancy Sinatra had a rich famous daddy who helped her. Lana del Rey's daddy is just rich.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Also, any retard remarks about her re-inventing herself or changing her name don't hold water. Madonna and David Bowie were not born as such, and neither have had a consistent image.

Even new wave-synth pop-early 80's rock queen Pat Benatar began singing opera.

The difference between then and now is that people are much too highly informed every ten seconds by the Internet, so they have utterly unreasonable expectations of people.

Not liking her music is fine, that's an aesthetic personal preference, but all of this bashing of her actually appears to me kind of like a trendy-fuck mob mentality, like it's cool to hate Lana Del Rey, you don't want to be discovered in the closet listening to one of her songs.

As someone who shamelessly listens to Eastern European polka techno, I don't give flying fuck. I immediately liked her.

KDude

I made a whole mix tape for a friend that had music like this.. music for "Fembots".

I like that she gets in character though. Or like you said, with Bowie or Madonna.. they always put some image out there to associate with the music. Like Bowie had Ziggy Stardust, then a stoic German stage, etc.. My favorite band in the world (the Misfits) was part act/part music. I kind of like Kiss for the same reason. Rock bands don't do it much anymore.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
This is interesting too, from 2007, has kind of an old West Virginia/Kentucky/Tennessee Appalachian mountain girl sound. Her accent isn't bad at all.

I appreciate her musical flexibility.

I think this also proves there's nothing "contrived" about her newer image which also heavily relies on Americana and the roles of women in the past, romanticized.

F

figsfiggyfigs

What's the problem? Nancy Sinatra had a rich famous daddy who helped her. Lana del Rey's daddy is just rich.

Having a rich daddy is unrelated to talent. Nancy Sinatra is a legend for a reason. Lana will unlikely be remembered in two years time. She constantly slurs and pouty-mumbles her the words to her song, which is bad. I don't care about the reinventing, or the name change, the worst part is her uncomfortable-to-watch attempt at coming off as sexy and deep yet aloof that makes most of us cringe.
Her voice/rhythm is always off from the beat, and sounds extremely lazy in contrast. I understand why some would like her because she does come off as edgy(dear god her live performances are terrible), and her style is slightly different from what is coming out today, however, I am even more understanding of why so many people can't stand her.

Edit: The most annoying part about her, is her constant denial of getting anything done(more specifically her lips). She must think the world is stupid. Just own up to it. Gefus.

LEGERdeMAIN

Lana will unlikely be remembered in two years time. She constantly slurs and pouty-mumbles her the words to her song, which is bad. I don't care about the reinventing, or the name change, the worst part is her uncomfortable-to-watch attempt at coming off as sexy and deep yet aloof that makes most of us cringe.
Her voice/rhythm is always off from the beat, and sounds extremely lazy...

It worked for bob dylan, tom waits and eddie vedder.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You guys are mean! And I'm stupid, this thread should be in the bonfire or something moderators.

Although I do think Lana Del Rey is an ISFP I don't think this counts as an SP blog.

I guess it could be a music/famous people blog...

moved

F

figsfiggyfigs

It worked for bob dylan, tom waits and eddie vedder.
Scratching things out doesn't make them non-existent. It's a package, not part of a package. If you were to run only the bold as Lana, the system would crush because you'd be missing elements, such as the bad attempt at being sexy/distant. Lana is a special breed of suck.

LEGERdeMAIN

Scratching things out doesn't make them non-existent. It's a package, not part of a package. If you were to run only the bold as Lana, the system would crush because you'd be missing elements, such as the bad attempt at being sexy/distant. Lana is a special breed of suck.

I scratched out anything that didn't seem relevant to all artists mentioned. You seem to be comparing one package to another package as if all packages were made in the same factory with the same standards and shipped to the same consumers - they are not. They were all entertainers, but the audience is not the same for each artist mentioned in the past few posts. Some artists are hammers meant to drive nails, some are brushes meant to paint pretty colors on plastered walls. It's important to consider differences and similarities between artists in the context of the preceding statements. There's no one standard, which makes it's pointless to compare entertainers as if there were.

The basic point I was getting at was that a comparison between Frank Sinatra and Lana is meaningless*. Kind of like comparing her to bob dylan is meaningless. They're completely different artists in completely different times. A Frank Sinatra wouldn't make it today, but for some strange reason a Bon Jovi continues to make it. They've been making it for 30 years.... "it" being pop rock sound farts. Last years tour they made almost 200 million, second only to U2. Bon Jovi has consistently released albums of recycled horseshit, never changing their formula. It's complete garbage, but people like it, they buy the biennial greatest hits albums and fill up the stadiums and everyone involved seems happy about the exchange. Bon Jovi will be continue to be a household name for some time simply because of their popularity, this may happen with Lana or Lady Gaga or gods-know-who-else. It seems stupid to me, because I have my own standards. But if people want to build temples to honor the Bon Jovis and Lanas and Sinatras of the world, let them.

*I will note that Sinatra is the Lana of his time. I won't go further into it because some people might be offended.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
c83.gif

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Having a rich daddy is unrelated to talent. Nancy Sinatra is a legend for a reason. Lana will unlikely be remembered in two years time. She constantly slurs and pouty-mumbles her the words to her song, which is bad. I don't care about the reinventing, or the name change, the worst part is her uncomfortable-to-watch attempt at coming off as sexy and deep yet aloof that makes most of us cringe.
Her voice/rhythm is always off from the beat, and sounds extremely lazy in contrast. I understand why some would like her because she does come off as edgy(dear god her live performances are terrible), and her style is slightly different from what is coming out today, however, I am even more understanding of why so many people can't stand her.

Edit: The most annoying part about her, is her constant denial of getting anything done(more specifically her lips). She must think the world is stupid. Just own up to it. Gefus.

She had one bad performance on SNL. She had several other live performances, including Letterman, that were good. You've been misled by the marketing of a meme "OMGZ LOOK AT THIS SNL PERFORMANCE AND NOTHING ELSE ABOUT LANA DEL REY."

I don't know the plastic surgery thing doesn't bug me, I don't even care.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Your hatred of her is severe. It reminds me of the way I used to hate Paris Hilton. So there's nothing anyone could say that could convince you otherwise, even showing you her other music or pointing out similarities between her and other artists, and the simple fact that her flaws have been hyped up by the media.

I agree with Leger about Eddie Veder and others slurring. Take major legends, like Kurt Cobain, who whined, who slurred...yeah, I really really don't care.

Micheal Jackson lied about his plastic surgery too (no I'm not lightening my skin on purpose!) and he's the legendary King of Pop.

I'd also like to point out just how much I love certain one-hit-wonders from the 80's, like 'Til Tuesday...I don't think people are gonna forget Lana Del Rey, not after all this hoopla.

When people hate you en masse, you are not forgettable.

KDude

I'm surprised that [MENTION=9602]YWIR[/MENTION] is annoyed. I only mentioned Nancy Sinatra because she had the same nonchalant delivery and Phil Spector-ish production (she was married to Spector actually). I've googled since and saw that del rey intentionally went for that sound. A lot of people do. It's not an assessment on quality or saying del rey will have the same legacy. Just that she's working with the same palette. You're free to think it's a shitty use of that palette.

F

figsfiggyfigs

I'm not annoyed at all. It's odd that you think my critcism of Lana Del Ray as being a crappy singer is coming off as annoyance, or as hatred.
Leger is right to a degree. People like what they like, even if it isn't universally viewed as talent. Although the singers he mentioned had it.

And no, marm, I watched quite a few of her videos. It wasn't the snl video that made me think she has no presence other than uncomfortable awkwardness. It was her music videos that did. Her MTV flop only added to that.