• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Battle Royale vs. The Hunger Games

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nice one, I've just mentioned that elsewhere I think.

Oh, and I forgot about the original Rollerball. (But stay the fuck away from the John McTiernan remake -- quite easily the worst movie ever made, IMO.)

Lark

Oh, and I forgot about the original Rollerball. (But stay the fuck away from the John McTiernan remake -- quite easily the worst movie ever made, IMO.)

I totally agree there, the original Rollerball was fantastic, although I think the remakes of Deathrace were rubbish too, perhaps OK as stand alone movies but I dont like their association, even in name with the original one. The original Deathrace was a good reflection on infatuation with violence or bloodsports, even if it can appear a little like the wacky races to a modern viewer, the remakes were like some sort of gritty reboot of Too Fast, Too Furious.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I totally agree there, the original Rollerball was fantastic, although I think the remakes of Deathrace were rubbish too, perhaps OK as stand alone movies but I dont like their association, even in name with the original one. The original Deathrace was a good reflection on infatuation with violence or bloodsports, even if it can appear a little like the wacky races to a modern viewer, the remakes were like some sort of gritty reboot of Too Fast, Too Furious.

No they aren't.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Hunger Games tried to play with big themes, but didn't exactly know how, and got its fingers burned.

That was the impression that the film gave anyway.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Have not seen Hunger Games (U.S.) yet but loved Battle Royale(Japanese). I suspect that the Hunger Games will have 20somethings playing the role of the youth.

One of the things I hate about U.S. censors is that they will allow only a little if any depiction of violence on children (via the rating system). Why is that? Is the life of a brat worth so much more than that of an adult that artistic integrity must be compromised?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Have not seen Hunger Games (U.S.) yet but loved Battle Royale(Japanese). I suspect that the Hunger Games will have 20somethings playing the role of the youth.

One of the things I hate about U.S. censors is that they will allow only a little if any depiction of violence on children (via the rating system). Why is that? Is the life of a brat worth so much more than that of an adult that artistic integrity must be compromised?

And, of course, only a few F-bombs are allowed before a film gets an R-rating, because apparently, kids have never said or even heard the word before. Case in point. Not that I entirely agree with giving this movie a lower rating to reach its target audience; while the film was made to discourage bullying, I have a feeling that some kids will get the wrong message, just like those MTV shows about teenage parenting. (But seriously, would it have hurt the film that much to bleep out the F word?)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

if this is how you feel, you will love The Hunger Games (personally, I can't remember the last movie that managed to make me so angry, but it was a great movie)

Lark

Battle Royale was much better than the Running Man....I still need to watch Death Race 2000.

Hmm, not so sure, perhaps BR is better in its conclusion, Running Man does turn into the average popcorn actioner after they break out of the games arena but its a pretty superb future dystopia up to that point. I actually thought that it was the best dystopia since 1984 when I saw it and probably as plausible as Brave New World.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
See this Series 7: The Contenders. Despite the low production value it is pretty cool. Its on Netflix right now and has a prego playing T.A.G. (The Game of Death) as the lead role. She is good but my favorite with the ISFJ elderly nurse.

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
lets make the hunger games and battle royale go to some island and fight each other to the death