• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

NHL Playoffs coming!

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
And of course the Coyotes score goal number 2 on a play that should have been whistled for a blatant tripping penalty.

Engineer

Dependable Skeleton
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Preds are out :(

LA/Phoenix for the western conference final.

Surprising, and perhaps well deserved on the part of the Kings, but nonetheless still kinda lame.

On the other hand, Eastern Conference isn't going to be much better... Rangers/New Jersey is all but written in stone.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I wonder if the announcement about the pending sale added some energy to the building tonight and helped the Coyotes. Even if it did, Nashville had no business winning this series, as much as I wanted them to. Phoenix just punked them. Get ready for seven 1-0 games!

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And of course the Coyotes score goal number 2 on a play that should have been whistled for a blatant tripping penalty.

Hey, it's Phoenix. They're special. So special, in fact, that they're allowed an assassination attempt on Marian Hossa without so much as two minutes in the box. (Yes, Torres is now serving a massive suspension, but there should have been in-game ramifications and I'm still bitter.)

Now the Preds are gone, too. :dry:

I'll risk the apparent curse on this thread by announcing my allegiance to LA. Someone needs to put the dogs to sleep.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'll risk the apparent curse on this thread by announcing my allegiance to LA. Someone needs to put the dogs to sleep.

I'm pulling for LA too. Feels weird saying that being an SJ fan... I'll hate them again next season.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Perhaps puckheads can explain something to me:

Why don't teams pull their goalies earlier when they are down 2 or more goals? Right now the Caps are beating the Rangers 2-0 with about 4 minutes to go. Why don't the Rangers pull their goalie? Obviously nothing has worked all game, they need two goals just to force OT.

One goal down, I get not adding an extra man, but I'd think teams would want to be more aggressive and desperate losing by that much.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6

Why don't teams pull their goalies earlier when they are down 2 or more goals? Right now the Caps are beating the Rangers 2-0 with about 4 minutes to go. Why don't the Rangers pull their goalie? Obviously nothing has worked all game, they need two goals just to force OT.

One goal down, I get not adding an extra man, but I'd think teams would want to be more aggressive and desperate losing by that much.
Having an extra man on the ice (by pulling the goalie) isn't a surefire way to score goals when you're down. A lot of times it accomplishes nothing, and having more men covering the ice can sometimes be counter-productive. On the contrary, losing a goalie makes your opponent's chance of scoring that much more likely if a puck makes its way toward the net (even if it is a little tougher with an extra moving defensive man out on the ice). Pride is a big part of hockey. Widening the losing deficit is a shot to the ego.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Having an extra man on the ice (by pulling the goalie) isn't a surefire way to score goals when you're down. A lot of times it accomplishes nothing, and having more men covering the ice can sometimes be counter-productive. On the contrary, losing a goalie makes your opponent's chance of scoring that much more likely if a puck makes its way toward the net (even if it is a little tougher with an extra moving defensive man out on the ice). Pride is a big part of hockey. Widening the losing deficit is a shot to the ego.

I know it's not a surefire way, but when you're down 2 goals, what does it matter if you lose by 3 goals?

I think most sport teams (football is really bad at this) play not to lose rather than to win. Which only works when you have the lead...

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I know it's not a surefire way, but when you're down 2 goals, what does it matter if you lose by 3 goals?

I think most sport teams (football is really bad at this) play not to lose rather than to win. Which only works when you have the lead...

If my answer didn't suffice, EffEm will provide more insight I'm sure.

MBTI Type
INTJ

I think there are two lines of reasoning. The first, and perhaps more legit reason is that usually when you're on the power play you want your top forwards on the ice. Shifts are so short that you can't have them out there for more than a minute without tiring. The second, and to my mind bullshit reason, is the same reason that football coaches don't go for it on fourth down more often. If they don't pull the goalie/go for it, and lose, the players will be to blame. But if they DO, and lose, the coach will be to blame for his strategic decision.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
^Predictions for game 7? I think the Rangers will take the series.

Let's assume the cup match-up is LA/NY. Who do you feel has the better chance there?

Usehername

On a mission

[MENTION=325]EffEmDoubleyou[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1330]swordpath[/MENTION] make good points. In addition, in four minutes you can legitimately score two and force OT so all is not lost (Billy Mosienko has the record for a hat trick in 21 seconds; the Bruins as a team scored 3 goals in 20 seconds, and you only need 2 goals to force OT).
Whereas if you pull a goalie you've got to have perfect timing with on-the-fly line changes, perfect passes etc., with no margin for error, all probably without a whistle, because the team with an open net is likely to play extra clean so as to force those on-the-fly line changes.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=325]EffEmDoubleyou[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1330]swordpath[/MENTION] make good points. In addition, in four minutes you can legitimately score two and force OT so all is not lost (Billy Mosienko has the record for a hat trick in 21 seconds; the Bruins as a team scored 3 goals in 20 seconds, and you only need 2 goals to force OT).
Whereas if you pull a goalie you've got to have perfect timing with on-the-fly line changes, perfect passes etc., with no margin for error, all probably without a whistle, because the team with an open net is likely to play extra clean so as to force those on-the-fly line changes.

Then why EVER pull the goalie? Obviously there's an advantage or teams would never do it. I just don't understand why they don't do it sooner when down two or more goals. The Rangers last night didn't score a goal at all till they pulled the goalie with 2:30 remaining. But by the time they did score there was only a minute remaining and they needed two goals.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Then why EVER pull the goalie? Obviously there's an advantage or teams would never do it. I just don't understand why they don't do it sooner when down two or more goals. The Rangers last night didn't score a goal at all till they pulled the goalie with 2:30 remaining. But by the time they did score there was only a minute remaining and they needed two goals.

You win some, you lose some...

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I say that nearly every time a goalie is pulled. Why not do it at the 11 minute mark of the 3rd when you're down by one or two, for example? In a delayed penalty situation it is routinely done so why not? Puck and faceoff location are two obvious things to heed when pulling the goalie because no matter what, your extra attacker could simply become a goaltender, minus pads. The blue line has to be defended as well and this is the biggest reason (to me) why PTG doesn't work as often as it should, you end up with a third defenceman, not a fourth forward.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I say that nearly every time a goalie is pulled. Why not do it at the 11 minute mark of the 3rd when you're down by one or two, for example? In a delayed penalty situation it is routinely done so why not? Puck and faceoff location are two obvious things to heed when pulling the goalie because no matter what, your extra attacker could simply become a goaltender, minus pads. The blue line has to be defended as well and this is the biggest reason (to me) why PTG doesn't work as often as it should, you end up with a third defenceman, not a fourth forward.

I know there's a tipping point sooner or later, teams score more empty net goals than teams do with a man advantage by pulling the goalie.

However, the percentages do increase that you will tie or win a game by pulling a goalie.

Pulling the goalie with 10 seconds to go doesn't do much to those percentages. 1 minute to go... 2 minutes to go... there you see an increase. I want to know how far out you can go before it becomes a negative.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I know there's a tipping point sooner or later, teams score more empty net goals than teams do with a man advantage by pulling the goalie.

However, the percentages do increase that you will tie or win a game by pulling a goalie.

Pulling the goalie with 10 seconds to go doesn't do much to those percentages. 1 minute to go... 2 minutes to go... there you see an increase. I want to know how far out you can go before it becomes a negative.
I just don't think its so easy to tell. Pulling the goalie could do the down team good, or it could even hurt them, all in just ten seconds. 2 minutes, the same story or it could do nothing at all. It's hit or miss to the point where I don't even think you could get good statistics on it.