• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do Boxers/fighters have anger issues?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I really wonder this. I like boxing but when I watch it I start to ask myself why they beat each other up and how they can do that all the time? I rationalize that they must be angry and taking their anger out on someone!

It makes me wonder if they would be more likely to beat someone up outside of the ring????

Am I totally off? Please tell me I am and why.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I really wonder this. I like boxing but when I watch it I start to ask myself why they beat each other up and how they can do that all the time? I rationalize that they must be angry and taking their anger out on someone!

It makes me wonder if they would they be more likely to beat someone up outside of the ring????

I'll speak from several years of experience with Muay Thai, BJJ, and Wrestling.

The gym and fighting serve as an outlet for aggression, and in my humble opinion, lowers the aggressive tendencies of those who participate.

I think fight sports serve to focus aggression and express it in a productive way.

P.S. - whether fight sports tend to attract those with higher than average levels of aggression is another question entirely.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I agree with Disco, better they fight in a consensual, controlled/regulated situation than having those violent urges pop up somewhere less appropriate.

KDude

Yeah, just think of it as a sport. It's not exactly fighting, as there are a lot of rules to play by and train with in mind. Some don't even fight with that much fierceness or emotion at all. They fight strategically and purposely take fights the whole 12 rounds, in order to win by points. These aren't the actions of someone who's pissed off.

There are a few exceptions - most infamously, Mike Tyson. He's a true fighter. More fighter than boxer, and seems to make it personal half of the time. His skills were completely revolved around knocking people out and making the other guy's "kids cry". Once people started forcing him to actually play it as a sport, he lost.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I had the thought that they could be more prone to violence outside of the ring but I just don't feel comfortable with it. It doesn't seem right or accurate or maybe it's a bad stereotype? I don't want it to be true!

Beorn

Permabanned
If they're on certain drugs and supplements they can definately be more aggressive. I don't think just participating in the sport makes a person unreasonably aggressive.

KDude

I had the thought that they could be more prone to violence outside of the ring but I just don't feel comfortable with it. It doesn't seem right or accurate or maybe it's a bad stereotype? I don't want it to be true!

I don't know. Sugar Ray Leonard and Roy Jones would still be scary to fight, but they came more from an Olympic background.

Some other guys grew up rough, but they might have a lot of religious beliefs (like George Foreman).

Some might think they're tough, but don't actually handle themselves in streetfights well apparently. Mike Tyson got in some fights with boxers on the streets and completely destroyed them. That was his type of game. They weren't truly violent, like Tyson. Like this guy Mitch Green.

mitch-green-eye-2-ab-100509_display_image.jpg

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It makes me wonder if they would they be more likely to beat someone up outside of the ring????

it doesn't always have to do with anger, it's more based in sheer, instinctual aggression, which is present in varying degrees among humans (more often in males). thus, some people (again, more often males) are driven by thrill seeking, combat and adrenaline rushes, and boxing can provide this (personally it's not a trait I share, and one I am continually baffled by. why would someone deliberately seek out an intensely painful situation?)

KDude

why would someone deliberately seek out an intensely painful situation?)

Most wouldn't think like that to begin with. They think about winning. Look up Muhammad Ali quotes. He's not only funny, but has the most incredible ego ever.

"I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was."

"If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize."

"It's lack of faith that makes people afraid of meeting challenges, and I believed in myself."

"Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just don't let yourself believe it will happen to you."

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Most wouldn't think like that to begin with. They think about winning. Look up Muhammad Ali quotes. He's not only funny, but has the most incredible ego ever.
"I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was."
"If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize."
"It's lack of faith that makes people afraid of meeting challenges, and I believed in myself."
"Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just don't let yourself believe it will happen to you."

so you're saying, the following traits would probably be present in someone for whom boxing was an ideal career choice
- ego driven
- desire to prove themselves/desire for external feedback
- intensity junky
- doesn't think much of/care about physical pain
- competitive/likes to win

so basically an ESTP 3w2 Sx/So

KDude

so you're saying, the following traits would probably be present in someone for whom boxing was an ideal career choice
- ego driven
- intensity junky

Probably.

I think a lot types can ignore pain though. Not sure it's really type related. ISPs might do things like this solely of their own choosing. Not strictly out of competitiveness or external factors. As long as they're comfortable, it's cool. They care about more about comfort than pain (if that makes sense). EJs go through a lot of pain it seems too. They always seem like workaholics to me, then deal with the fallout when it's too late.

This is probably off the point though.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Probably.

I think a lot types can ignore pain though. Not sure it's really type related. ISPs might do things like this solely of their own choosing. Not strictly out of competitiveness or external factors. As long as they're comfortable, it's cool. They care about more about comfort than pain (if that makes sense). EJs go through a lot of pain it seems too. They always seem like workaholics to me, then deal with the fallout when it's too late.
This is probably off the point though.

so essentially pain + comfort is better than no pain without comfort? I think I get it

KDude

so essentially pain + comfort is better than no pain without comfort? I think I get it

I'm tired. This sentence isn't computing for me.. for some reason. hah

Maybe enjoyable is a better word. As long as enjoyment outweighs any risks, an isp would throw themselves at something. But they aren't necessarily doing anything to be the best or impress. The activity must be fun for the sake of it. Otherwise, it sucks. And no one would change their mind.

Snow Turtle

I'll admit I do love the sparring aspect of any martial arts, but I don't actually believe that is reflective of real life fights at all where people will end up in hospitals.

While I know there are many who are into fighting because they are violent, there are some in it just for the self-defence aspect. I like the idea of being able to stop an attacker by forcing them into submission if I need to. Not to mention, I think it's useful to have an aura-attitude that you won't back down from 'casual' violent threats/bluffs that bullies often employ.

Unfortunately, it has been noted that martial arts/fighting individuals are often killed because they engage in armed attacks.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'll admit I do love the sparring aspect of any martial arts, but I don't actually believe that is reflective of real life fights at all where people will end up in hospitals.

While I know there are many who are into fighting because they are violent, there are some in it just for the self-defence aspect. I like the idea of being able to stop an attacker by forcing them into submission if I need to. Not to mention, I think it's useful to have an aura-attitude that you won't back down from 'casual' violent threats/bluffs that bullies often employ.

Unfortunately, it has been noted that martial arts/fighting individuals are often killed because they engage in armed attacks.

Yeah I'm starting to see that it starts out just for sport, exercise and self-defense and then maybe turns into something more competitive if they are good at it.

I think maybe the ones that are good at it may get caught up in making money or being the "alpha male".

Lark

When I've actually been in fights if I'm not angry but more calculating its generally secured victory.

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
- ego driven
- intensity junky

Yeah I see that. I think STPs are very effective in contact sports.
I do a bit of martial arts. (Mostly for self defence purposes). Mostly I play rugby, which is a pretty physical contact sport although not specifically fighting. If you truly love the sport and the game and the physicality, you honestly don't feel pain. Boxers who love it do not feel pain in the ring. Because they are so focussed on the fight, on the game, on winning. (Or maybe this is just an SP point of view. But I imagine a lot of boxers are SPs) I feel no pain on the rugby pitch. I feel pain after the match. And the next day. But it is definitely worth it. I have broken my hand/fingers/nose on the pitch and continued to finish the game. Adrenaline numbs the pain. Any boxers would be the same. Anyone who cries about breaking a toenail is definitely in the wrong sport.

[MENTION=4398]Giggly[/MENTION] I think for any kind of contact sport you need controlled aggression. Boxing may be fighting, but it has rules. You aren't allowed to kill each other. So you need some kind of self-control, not just pure anger. In my experience sports like fighting and rugby are a release of aggression and stress and therefore people who partake in them are less likely to fight in a bar or on the street. And also less likely to be stressed.
Of course this doesn't apply to everyone but I don't think boxers in general are any more angry than anyone else. It is ultimately a sport. Cage fighting is much more likely to attract real scrapper types.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I would imagine, having played various competitive sports, that anger is more detrimental to boxers than anything else. You can't win if you're tilted...it just clouds the decision making process, which is a vital component of ANY sport. Basically, if you have two fighters of equal skill, and fighter A is being influenced by anger while fighter B isn't, then fighter B has an advantage.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would imagine, having played various competitive sports, that anger is more detrimental to boxers than anything else.

Yeah I can see this now. It's more focused skill and competition than emotion.

I was an amateur boxer and I found losing made me angry.

Really?