• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do Boxers/fighters have anger issues?

Mole

Permabanned
The Killer Instinct

Yeah I can see this now. It's more focused skill and competition than emotion.
Really?

C'mon, there is lots of emotion in amateur boxing. Not only did I become angry at losing, but when I was winning, my killer instinct kicked in and enveloped by whole body and mind and I set about demolishing my opponent.

Perhaps the most valuable thing amateur boxing taught me was that I had a killer instinct. Normally in the modern world we would only discover this in battle, but I was lucky enough to discover this in the safe confines of amateur boxing.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
C'mon, there is lots of emotion in amateur boxing. Not only did I become angry at losing, but when I was winning, my killer instinct kicked in and enveloped by whole body and mind and I set about demolishing my opponent.

Perhaps the most valuable thing amateur boxing taught me was that I had a killer instinct. Normally in the modern world we would only discover this in battle, but I was lucky enough to discover this in the safe confines of amateur boxing.

Wow.

*ponders*

godscollie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
intp
I really wonder this. I like boxing but when I watch it I start to ask myself why they beat each other up and how they can do that all the time? I rationalize that they must be angry and taking their anger out on someone!

It makes me wonder if they would be more likely to beat someone up outside of the ring????

Am I totally off? Please tell me I am and why.

There are many cases of boxers who do not suffer from anger issues

Lennox Lewis
Chris Eubank
Barry McGuigan

to name but a few, but there are loads, if anything i would think they are less likely to beat someone up outside the ring. I do not remember a top professional boxer (that would get media attention) ever being charged for violence. There may be specific cases but i don't know of any. Boxing is a sport and isn't related to street violence.

godscollie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
intp
Once people started forcing him to actually play it as a sport, he lost.

That's a very misguided view of Mikes career. He also helps many of his opponents up after knocking them out and loves the history of boxing. I believe his favourite boxer was Jack Dempsey.

William Harrison "Jack" Dempsey ("The Manassa Mauler") (June 24, 1895 – May 31, 1983) was an American professional boxer who held the World Heavyweight Championship from 1919 to 1926. Dempsey's aggressive style and exceptional punching power made him one of the most popular boxers in history. Many of his fights set financial and attendance records, including the first million dollar gate. He is listed #10 on The Ring's list of all-time heavyweights and #7 among its Top 100 Greatest Punchers. In 1950, the Associated Press voted Dempsey as the greatest fighter of the past 50 years. He is a member of the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

Sounds like mike.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I thinl there are a few like that, but people who get into fighting sports/military and become highly developed in it seem to begin to possess a tranquility of mind where they view fighting as a sort of means of expression like art or language. They start to hate "cheap tactics" that do not help both competitors to achieve new heights of power, because if you're rigging things so you win easily, then where's the SPORT or fun in that?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I thinl there are a few like that, but people who get into fighting sports/military and become highly developed in it seem to begin to possess a tranquility of mind where they view fighting as a sort of means of expression like art or language. They start to hate "cheap tactics" that do not help both competitors to achieve new heights of power, because if you're rigging things so you win easily, then where's the SPORT or fun in that?

What are they expressing?

I don't mean to sound dumb but I'm trying to understand and am curious.

Maybe I should ask on a boxing forum.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The adrenaline rush. The feel of power roiling through your nervous system. The surge of hormones. Muscles straining as your brain spills endorphins to mute the pain. It's like a different level or kind of awareness.

I like what Bruce Lee said:

"Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend." --Bruce Lee

I think there are some mind-body geniuses who consistently operate at this level of awareness. You see it in emotionally healthy SPs a lot.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The adrenaline rush. The feel of power roiling through your nervous system. The surge of hormones. Muscles straining as your brain spills endorphins to mute the pain. It's like a different level or kind of awareness.

I like what Bruce Lee said:

"Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend." --Bruce Lee

I think there are some mind-body geniuses who consistently operate at this level of awareness. You see it in emotionally healthy SPs a lot.

Ohmygod, lightbulb moment!

Thank you for explaining that. :)

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm watching the movie "Raging Bull" right now. :shock: Never seen this.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I def don't think that the majority of people who practice classic martial arts (karate, aikido, kung fu, tae kwon do, etc) do, because a lot of their training has to do with the mind, body, and the spirit. However, MMA guys are more brutal, so I could see more of them having anger issues. To tell the truth, I think it depends of the individual.