• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Robert Sherman (composer/lyricist) Dies

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
http://news.yahoo.com/small-world-songwriter-robert-sherman-dies-86-150030121.html

Alas -- half of the composition team for some of the most well-known melodies around Earth (especially for the songwork he and his brother Richard did on Mary Poppins).

LONDON (AP) — Robert B. Sherman, one half of the prolific, award-winning pair of brothers who penned instantly memorable songs for "Mary Poppins," ''The Jungle Book" and "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" — as well as the most-played tune on Earth, "It's a Small World (After All)" — has died. He was 86.

Sherman's agent, Stella Richards, said Tuesday that Sherman died peacefully in London on Monday.

Sherman, together with his brother Richard, won two Academy Awards for Walt Disney's 1964 smash "Mary Poppins" — best score and best song, "Chim Chim Cher-ee." They also picked up a Grammy for best movie or TV score.

Their hundreds of credits as joint lyricist and composer also include the films "Winnie the Pooh," ''The Slipper and the Rose," ''Snoopy Come Home," ''Charlotte's Web" and "The Magic of Lassie." Their Broadway musicals included 1974's "Over Here!" and stagings of "Mary Poppins" and "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" in the mid-2000s...

I like something that was mentioned later in the article:

Most of the songs the Shermans wrote — in addition to being catchy and playful — work on multiple levels for different ages, something they learned from Disney.

"He once told us, early on in our career, 'Don't insult the kid — don't write down to the kid. And don't write just for the adult.' So we write for grandpa and the 4-year-old — and everyone in between — and all see it on a different level," Richard Sherman said.

I think their lyrics have always been accessible to a wide age range, and were rather amusing and even wry while remaining hopeful, before much of our humor took a cynical turn over the last 20-25 years.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually, I meant ROBIN Sherman, which is the name of Mr. Peabody's boy, who just would typically go by his last name since people would tease him about being a Pooh when he went by the name Robin. It was a terrible tragedy -- the three bears were planning to eat him, but instead allowed him to reheat their soup for them since one of the bowls of porridge was cold, and a microwave oven explosion left poor Robin Sherman in pieces. The first coffin was too big, the last too small, but the third was just right.

.... :doh:

gps

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Actually, I meant ROBIN Sherman, which is the name of Mr. Peabody's boy, who just would typically go by his last name since people would tease him about being a Pooh when he went by the name Robin. It was a terrible tragedy -- the three bears were planning to eat him, but instead allowed him to reheat their soup for them since one of the bowls of porridge was cold, and a microwave oven explosion left poor Robin Sherman in pieces. The first coffin was too big, the last too small, but the third was just right.

.... :doh:

Well ... just right for Robin but not for both him and Davy Jones.
Which raises the issue of whether David `Bowie' can now use David Jones as his DBA.

Okay ... what gives?
How do those named Robert Sherman and David Jones end up in the music industry?

What name would I have to have to make me a shoe in for shaggin' hot babes?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Which raises the issue of whether David `Bowie' can now use David Jones as his DBA.

Maybe he can use the name
but he'll have to up his game
and make a monkey
out of himself, see?

How do those named Robert Sherman ...end up in the music industry?

At least his name wasn't Roman Sherbert.

What name would I have to have to make me a shoe in for shaggin' hot babes?

You might need a much bigger foot!

gps

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
You might need a much bigger foot!

And all this time I had believed it had something to do with the angle of the dangle and the heat of the feet!
It might not be my cold feet after all?
There IS hope.
It's not the heat of the feet it's their SIZE.
Well, supercalifornicating alpine nannies ... I'll get me a pair of them clown shoes for my cold feet and hit the town runnin'!