• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mass Effect 3

Engineer

Dependable Skeleton
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So... yeah... I'll just leave this here...

[YOUTUBE="bG2mdZ23eP8"]Mass Effect 3 Launch Trailer[/YOUTUBE]

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

1328115742229.jpg

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
My excitement was somewhat tempered by the From Ashes day 1 DLC fiasco, but I'll still probably get it because I'm a sucker. Oddly, multiplayer ended up being a wonderful surprise and extremely well done.

Engineer

Dependable Skeleton
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My excitement was somewhat tempered by the From Ashes day 1 DLC fiasco, but I'll still probably get it because I'm a sucker. Oddly, multiplayer ended up being a wonderful surprise and extremely well done.

From what I heard, the DLC was an idea that only got approval to be added into the game when the "actual" game was being pressed... So I'm not as mad. Also, Space Jamaican, so yes.

I agree! Multiplayer felt like... gasp... a natural extension of ME's gameplay. Which was nice, considering EA's usual heavy-handed approach to multiplayer (tack it and tax it).

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Got me finally to begin playing Mass Effect 2...

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
From what I heard, the DLC was an idea that only got approval to be added into the game when the "actual" game was being pressed... So I'm not as mad. Also, Space Jamaican, so yes.

Well, it was planned early and I understand that starting DLC before the game is released is a good way to keep artists and writers involved in the project when they're no longer needed, however I think the outrage is more that the content is juicy and "feels" essential to the complete universe, so to have it be a 10$ charge right out of the gate just feels like holding your own customers hostage.

Spoilers about the DLC Content ahead.

From a business standpoint, it's a wonderful tactic, but as a fan, I think it sucks.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
[My opinion..]

This game is decent. I've been playing MP on the demo. Was going to create a thread a few days ago but didn't know it was up on the consumer-brand.

I initially played the SP which gives you an insight in two levels that are fantastic. The world it creates is stunning.

I made it to 54 N7 on my MP and more often than not played as the Infiltrator Class Human Female that kicks ass! The Sentinel Class Human Female is also good. You also get the benefit from playing as various other player types (including a branch of alien types). Lately stepped up a notch onto Silver/Gold on Cerberus which are pretty easy to destroy now. The Nemesis and Phantom bosses are difficult how ever and if you confront them alone you get killed. I was mutilated more times than I could remember by either of them. Unfortunately the demo expires in a week so I have to give up all my stuff I worked so hard for! I'm on the Mattock IV (Assault Rifle) and Phalanx III (Ballistic Handgun) among a handful of other useful weapons and have to give them all up.

Looking forward to the actual release in a week! It's going to be worth the money.

Pinker85

Meh. I see both sides of the argument. I think the fact the game stands on its own even without the DLC is the saving grace for me. Sure, it's a tactic by Bioware and EA to make money but shit . . . isn't that what all game companies do? I mean if they didn't think they could make the money off the DLC they probably wouldn't have made it . . . and I'm just happy to have a richer game experience now due to the DLC.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Could somebody kindly explain to me what a "DLC" is? .. Thanks.

I pre-ordered it.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
From a business standpoint, it's a wonderful tactic, but as a fan, I think it sucks.

Yeah -- I'm not too happy about it either. At least in their prior games, the day 1 DLC came with any (new, not used) game purchase. But I'll be buying it, in addition to the game -- my rationale being that as much as I've enjoyed the prior games, $10 more for the final game in the series will likely be worth it, as opposed to say, buying another cheaper game that I probably wouldn't enjoy as much.

I'm sort of worried about the multiplayer portion -- I don't have much interest in that, nor any friends that are likely to play it, and I'm hoping (as advertised) that not participating in multiplayer won't prove too much a disadvantage for the single-player storyline and gameplay. But yeah, I'll be stopping off to pick up a copy on my way home from work tomorrow.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I received my copy today.

I am going to play this game's MP for the whole year! The weapons are so kick-a** I have to get them all.. There's the Spectre pack of weapons now available which dwarfs the Veteran pack.

If I don't though maybe something better came along.. but I doubt that.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm behind in my ME2 playthrough so I've only [blasphemously] played a couple rounds of multiplayer. Yep, the multiplayer is that good.

I received my copy today.

I am going to play this game's MP for the whole year! The weapons are so kick-a** I have to get them all.. There's the Spectre pack of weapons now available which dwarfs the Veteran pack.

If I don't though maybe something better came along.. but I doubt that.

Have you guys never played a horde mode before? Gears of war, resident evil 4/5, Halo ODST/reach?

Its fairly common console business. ME3's is good but nothing that special. The one big addition is the objectives. I like those. Make the mode for me, really. They get the players moving. Most other horde modes get stale as the players simply bunker up in the most optimum position.

Engineer

Dependable Skeleton
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So, I beat the game last night. Anyone else beat it yet?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
So, I beat the game last night. Anyone else beat it yet?

I was pissed too. But then, if you read around about the "Indoctrination/Hallucination Theory" it does make sense. The thing is, it was such a joke of an ending it is almost impossible to believe they'd actually end their trilogy/epic that way, so the fans are forced to come up with these alternatives.

I don't think the choices are so bad on their own, despite being ripped from Deus Ex it seems, but it's the complete lack of coherency and conclusion that is most mystifying.

Engineer

Dependable Skeleton
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was pissed too. But then, if you read around about the "Indoctrination/Hallucination Theory" it does make sense. The thing is, it was such a joke of an ending it is almost impossible to believe they'd actually end their trilogy/epic that way, so the fans are forced to come up with these alternatives.

I don't think the choices are so bad on their own, despite being ripped from Deus Ex it seems, but it's the complete lack of coherency and conclusion that is most mystifying.

Basically my opinion is this: http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/3/
I've heard unconfirmed rumors about a DLC called "The Truth" which is set for release in April as a free expansion... but I certainly do not want to get my hopes up for that, especially considering how depressed the current ending made me.
And you're completely correct: none of the ending made sense.

Basically the last ten minutes were made of pure, uncut, unfiltered "what the fuck"... And the fact that all the endings are identical outside of the color of the explosions... well, that didn't help anything.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Basically my opinion is this: http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/3/
I've heard unconfirmed rumors about a DLC called "The Truth" which is set for release in April as a free expansion... but I certainly do not want to get my hopes up for that, especially considering how depressed the current ending made me.
And you're completely correct: none of the ending made sense.

Basically the last ten minutes were made of pure, uncut, unfiltered "what the fuck"... And the fact that all the endings are identical outside of the color of the explosions... well, that didn't help anything.
I've also heard of the "Truth" DLC but I don't know how that'd work for fans/players who do not have internet connections for the consoles or what have you. Even if the "real" endings were DLC, how do you get that to people without those connections? How do you deflect the criticism that ME3, sold as is, is an incomplete product without a true conclusion? While the fan in me is hopeful, I can see how that answer can be just as messy. And if they ever had the balls to charge for this Truth DLC...wow. Pitchforks would be an understatement.

I've read that gamefront article and thought it was very good, and accurately portrays the fan criticism even while other media outlets have taken the strawman approach in criticising the reaction. I will say, that I am not in favor of "demanding a change" because if that's how a creator/artist/whathaveyou wants to end their product it's perfectly within their right, but they need to recognize it is also my right as a critic of that entertainment to tell them it's shitty and horrible and here's why.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I agree -- I finished it late last night, and had pretty much the same reaction.

All in all, I had fun playing it, and thought that most of the story was really pretty well done. It suffered a little bit from the (sometimes forced) large number of cameo appearances from characters in the prior games, but honestly, I'd have been disappointed not to see all of the folks I took such pains to save in ME2.