• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Prometheus

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
It's the same thing, dolt.

Go sniff some glue, kid.

...What in the hell are you babbling on about, fool?

I like Mal as little as the next guy, but...

:banned:

Weird, the Ni-doms seem to have enjoyed it, while the Ti-doms didn't.

I've been noticing the same correlation.

It's certainly not 1:1, but I think it kinda is there.

Could the ''suspension of disbelief'' theory be applied here?

What theory is this?

That Ti doms aren't willing to suspend their disbelief, but Ni doms are?

Well, I think you kind of stepped over the cliff with a sweeping generalization like that. There's lots of bad movies with lots of plot holes, unless of course having any reason -- however stupid -- for something happening counts as cover for a plot hole.

(Kind of like laying down concrete vs wood slats vs cardboard vs tissue paper over an actual hole ... maybe the hole is covered, but I know which one(s) i'll trust with my weight.)

I'm sorry, but is this example serious, or sarcastic?

I've only quickly read through the recent posts, and already mistook one case of sarcasm for being serious.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What theory is this?

Here; swap Avatar for Prometheus.
Maybe he had point? Even a broken clock is right twice a day, you know? :D

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I've been noticing the same correlation.

It's certainly not 1:1, but I think it kinda is there.

What theory is this?

I'm sorry, but is this example serious, or sarcastic?

I've only quickly read through the recent posts, and already mistook one case of sarcasm for being serious.

Are you agreeing with me?

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP

Oh, c'mon guys. I'm just playing around.
I didn't take my blood pressure medicine this morning. Kinda testy.

Is that a good enough excuse?

lol

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
The characters were one dimensional and the plot was generic, but neither of those ruined the film for me as they served an adequate platform that (to me) carried a central theme which Ridley Scott already explored in his Blade Runner, which is not the nature of life and its distinction from machines, but the relationship between a sentient being and its maker.
In a way it succeeds as a generic film, fails as a quality film, but then again succeeds as an inquiry into the human condition.

prometheus-michael-fassbender_400.jpg

"Don’t all children really want their parents dead?"

Maybe I just relate to Scott's daddy issues.

I'd agree with this. I thought it enjoyable enough, but expected more, which I suppose is my fault. Great trailer, great TED tie-in which approaches a subject I am extremely interested in [the complete shift in how humanity, life, sentience is understood when synthetic life is introduced], interesting questions raised but very little in terms of follow through and development. Thematically it just seemed to throw a lot of buzzwordy concepts at you as though it was just trying to get through its own version of Sci-Fi ad libs. The reason I thought it was "crap" was essentially because I thought it could do more, but it didn't, and what was a well shot movie was dragged down by an incredibly weak story/script that teased depth while ultimately unraveling into simple OMG RUN ALIENZ!!!! [MENTION=10757]Nicodemus[/MENTION]' Sunshine comparison was extremely apt, even though I thought Sunshine was a bit more focused and delivered more powerful moments [Kineda!? What do you see?].

However, I really loved Michael F. Assbender's David, a lot. I thought he was clearly the strength of the movie and the perfect character to force the humans to examine their pursuit of the Engineers through him and I was happy to at least see that was attempted. I even liked seeing David have his own taste of playing God when he stole away his little pet and infected Dr. "I just discovered aliens and overturned Darwinism, but I'm going to cry and bitch about like a little girl because I can't ask them questions the first day on my expedition" just because he could and wanted to see what would happen, clearly a possibility describing the Engineers' relationship to humans.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Which chick survived in the end? Noomi? Anyway, I thought it was pretty strange that she wants to visit a whole planet full of the same aliens who just savagely killed off some of the entire crew of the Prometheus. Pretty suicidal, actually.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Which chick survived in the end? Noomi? Anyway, I thought it was pretty strange that she wants to visit a whole planet full of the same aliens who just savagely killed off some of the entire crew of the Prometheus. Pretty suicidal, actually.

Maybe she'll be lucky and the next Engineer she meets won't be Engineer the Homicidal Maniac and just go HULK SMASH at the slightest provocation. Perhaps the ships were basically interstellar versions of Australia; a penal colony filled with Engineer psychos that are tossed to offending life form planets as punishment. I trust they'll be able to cook up an unsatisfactory explanation that seems as though it was penned by a 13 year old, if only to keep the feel of both films consistent.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe she'll be lucky and the next Engineer she meets won't be Engineer the Homicidal Maniac and just go HULK SMASH at the slightest provocation. Perhaps the ships were basically interstellar versions of Australia; a penal colony filled with Engineer psychos that are tossed to offending life form planets as punishment. I trust they'll be able to cook up an unsatisfactory explanation that seems as though it was penned by a 13 year old, if only to keep the feel of both films consistent.

Ridley is good at insulting our intelligence. Is it true that the Engineer who survived had been in suspended animation for 1000 years? Or am I missing something?

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Ridley is good at insulting our intelligence. Is it true that the Engineer who survived had been in suspended animation for 1000 years? Or am I missing something?

2000 years.

(Probably.)

Please don't go start calling this a plot hole.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

No, no, she has faith and is wearing a cross, so some divine miracle + the spirit of her dead father will save her. :smile:

[MENTION=5639]JocktheMotie[/MENTION]: i agree with your comments about david, i think he was the highlight characterwise of the movie.

[MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION]: I'm sorry but i can't enjoy the movie unless it makes sense. I honestly can't. If it's bullshit, them it's bullshit. It surprises me how many of you Ni'ers can play let's pretend, because it's beyond me. I know I'm pretending, and it would just be a lie. I also cannot equate possibility with probabilty. What you suggest is possible but not probable.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper

Well this sort of leap and [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION]'s autistic-level-nitpick-to-the-extreme complaint about g forces don't bother me too much. I'm imaginative enough to assume a creator-level intelligence can devise a suspended animation apparatus or successfully design something to mitigate acceleration changes in their spaceships. It's never a particular detail for me that drives me nuts so much as it's a break in common sense or nonsensical action/reaction situations.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP

Two millennia, which leads to this:

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/ridley-scott-prometheus-interview/8232

Movies.com: You throw religion and spirituality into the equation for Prometheus, though, and it almost acts as a hand grenade. We had heard it was scripted that the Engineers were targeting our planet for destruction because we had crucified one of their representatives, and that Jesus Christ might have been an alien. Was that ever considered?

RS: We definitely did, and then we thought it was a little too on the nose. But if you look at it as an “our children are misbehaving down there” scenario, there are moments where it looks like we’ve gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, “Lets’ send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it. Guess what? They crucified him.

By all accounts, Christ was not a 12 ft. albino.
Plot hole. I'm calling it right now.

Hahaha!!!

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
2000 years.

(Probably.)

Please don't go start calling this a plot hole.

I'm not the plot hole guy. I just want to know how they maintain musculature over long periods of cryogenic sleep.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
No, no, she has faith and is wearing a cross, so some divine miracle + the spirit of her dead father will save her. :smile:

I suppose we have just given up on using spoiler tags by now, but I'll still try...

I dunno. That's just one of many questions I've been thinking about since seeing the film, and its lack of resolution doesn't so much annoy me, as make me interested in what directions the mythology could possibly be taken.

Edit: And it looks like someone brought up the 2,000-yr thing as I was typing that last post. Anyway, if you ask me, it sounds like the hypothetical discussed in that interview isn't actually what they're going for. Frankly, based on the stuff in the movie, it looks to be pointing a lot more in the opposite direction. Then again, that's the kind of question that would be resolved, at least to some degree, in a future movie (in which, hopefully, Noomi will run around again in very little clothing [and sans recently having removed a squidbaby, preferably]).

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

I think it's pretty clear that she didn't expect to survive, all she cared about was an answer to why her makers created her and then wanted to kill her; a question that would likely not be answered, but wouldn't you do the same thing?