• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Prometheus

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That example is like the scene where everybody first takes off their helmets because the atmosphere is breathable, paying no attention to the fact that there might be alien microbes floating around. There are worms on the surface, according to one brief scene, why wouldn't there be microbes? These scientists lack common sense. But that's not a plot hole.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's like the scene where the lady scientist says the atmosphere of the planet is 3% CO2, and then compared it to sucking on tailpipe exhaust.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Example: The alien penis snake. The two scientists played with it like a puppy.
Despite the fact that it was TERRITORIAL and aggressive.
Remember how it initially hissed and lunged at them?

This was the precise moment I gave up on the movie and shut my brain off.

Yeah, how dumbass can geologists be? Especially timid paranoid ones?

Oh wait. They weren't biologists. Geologists are so dumb, they'd pet a hissing cat.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lol...i have a feeling "objectivity" here is defined more by the whims of the speaker than by any universal standard.

In fact, I've been looking for a reviewer who isn't influenced by Ridley Scott's rep or by having seen and loved the first Alien movie (not the sequels). I don't like horror. But Alien was really well-played. That gives me high expectations. How can I be objective? I rely on good reviewers to provide this to me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What? Now you're agreeing that no one is objective? I'm getting whiplash.

To temporarily end on something pleasant, david reading the alien starmap was transcendent. Too bad it wasn't in a better movie.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

To temporarily end on something pleasant, david reading the alien starmap was transcendent. Too bad it wasn't in a better movie.

Nope. Recall I said "Objectivity at last." I was so impressed with Outsider's objectivity that I will repost what he or she wrote:

"The characters were one dimensional and the plot was generic, but neither of those ruined the film for me as they served an adequate platform that (to me) carried a central theme that Ridley Scott already explored in his Blade Runner, which is not the nature of life and its distinction from machines, but the relationship between a sentient being and its maker.
In a way it succeeds as a generic film, fails as a quality film, but then again succeeds as an inquiry into the human condition."

Wow! That sums it up in a few heartbeats. That's exactly what I was looking for, except maybe a few more details would improve it. But those details have been provided by other commenters anyway.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I read it the first time, thanks...and then you tried to backpedal on topic of your own objectivity.

You've labelled it as objective because you wete "looking for it." Not much else to say. Squabbling over the definition of plot hole when it was clear the point was 'this movie has big problems' didn't help either.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I read it the first time, thanks...and then you tried to backpedal on topic of your own objectivity.

Sorry, I'm busy at work and I'm not exactly writing for clarity, most of the time.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't really... attest to any objectivity here, but I'm happy if my post was pleasant enough to read.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hah. Nice name for it. Yes, that's exactly where the plot-hole meme originated. Every IMDBro wants to be a reviewer when he grows up and use big reviewer words. In fact, plot-holes are very rare. People that make movies are real, real smart, they are even college edumacated, and they usually don't let things like that just slip by them.

Agreed. Most people don't know what plot holes are, and think they see them where they don't exist.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP

Agreed. The few moments of perfection and sheer imagination salvaged this movie.
This is the most frustrating aspect.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Agreed. Most people don't know what plot holes are, and think they see them where they don't exist.

Lately, any big-budget movie that comes out these days that lacks in perfection is "riddled with plot-holes" and "the worst movie ever."

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Weird, the Ni-doms seem to have enjoyed it, while the Ti-doms didn't.
[MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION]
Could the ''suspension of disbelief'' theory be applied here?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lately, any big-budget movie that comes out these days that lacks in perfection is "riddled with plot-holes" and "the worst movie ever."

Sweeping generalizations are still avoiding any reasonable arguments.

[MENTION=13260]Rasofy[/MENTION]: i have an idea about that but it's too much to type on cell right now.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Weird, the Ni-doms seem to have enjoyed it, while the Ti-doms didn't.
[MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION]
Could the ''suspension of disbelief'' theory be applied here?

Maybe it's my "suspension of belief" at work. I can easily accept and enjoy credible sci-fi. But there are objective reasons why Wrath of Khan was better sci-fi than Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock, and Alien was better than Prometheus. Ni doms I imagine simply want to enjoy the movie.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't really... attest to any objectivity here, but I'm happy if my post was pleasant enough to read.

I didn't agree with your final conclusion, but i did actually enjoy your post. Thanks.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sweeping generalizations are still avoiding any reasonable arguments.

What did I say again? People who make movies are really smart and college edumacated, they don't make that kind of mistake often. You could reasonably say to that "non sequitur, even if true, that doesn't prevent them from making mistakes." But the fact that there aren't very many plot-holes in movies should tell you that plot-holes aren't slipping through the editing process. The one in Dreamcatcher was also in the novel which I read. Perhaps an editor caught it but then decided it would go without any viewers noticing because that scene is very crucial to the plot. Henry has to escape somehow and in a way coherent with the rest of the story. Perhaps Owen was so desperate to fight against Curtis's scheme to kill the Americans in the quarantine camp that he was willing to believe anybody.