• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Prometheus

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Not to put too much importance on stereotypes: but aren't ISTPs reputed for often hating sci-fi?

Is that even a stereotype? I mean, regardless of its level of truth and nah nah nah, is it even something that's often said about ISTPs in the usual ignorant, stereotypical way? I wouldn't think that it was...it doesn't make much sense and isn't even one of those things that can be erroneously pulled up from type descriptions, nicely out of context and blown out of proportion, like the other stereotypes.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Is that even a stereotype? I mean, regardless of its level of truth and nah nah nah, is it even something that's often said about ISTPs in the usual ignorant, stereotypical way? I wouldn't think that it was...it doesn't make much sense and isn't even one of those things that can be erroneously pulled up from type descriptions, nicely out of context and blown out of proportion, like the other stereotypes.
I'd like to agree with your point but I can't get past the fact my ISTP Dad totally DESPISES sci-fi... :D

I once tried to get him to explain why and he said, "it's just not real".

Nicodemus

In fact, part of my original point is that it's interesting that he's coming back to sci-fi after all this time off, so, not only had I already acknowledged the fact that he's been doing a lot of non-sci-fi work for a long time, the fact that he's coming back to the genre is part of my thesis why this all might have something to do with Cameron.
He may just be coming back to the (commercially potent) 'Alien' series for the same reasons that Cameron now directs 'Avatar 2': money, money, money.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team

I'd like to agree with your point but I can't get past the fact my ISTP Dad totally DESPISES sci-fi... :D

I once tried to get him to explain why and he said, "it's just not real".

Yeah, Orangey, this is one more example of the exact same thing I've heard from numerous different places.

After hearing it enough times, from totally different sources, and quoting the exact same rationale, I figure it's disproportionate.

Between people irl and people online, I think I've heard this exact same thing about 5+ times now, including Southern Kross' example.

He may just be coming back to the (commercially potent) 'Alien' series for the same reasons that Cameron now directs 'Avatar 2': money, money, money.

Well, yes, I would never doubt that to be a motivation.

I just wonder to what extent the motivation I have mentioned might be in play as well.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I went to go see it, saw i had forgotten my purse at home had to drive 20 minutes back to my house realized i was going to miss part of it, went to a bar instead.now I'm glad i didn't waste my money on it, if it's as bad as everyone's saying

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought it was crap.

I chose kinder words in my blog about it, but identify with the sentiment.

It would have been better to have just stuck with the trailer....it was better than the movie.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Have heard mostly disappointing reviews. Bummer, because I really wanted this movie to rule. Will still see it at some point.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An exerpt:

I saw Prometheus. I cannot begin to describe what a mess it was, and I'm not going to waste time doing so. (Though the final scene put a smile on my face.)

And Roger Ebert gave it 4 stars out of 4. It must've been filmed in Chicago. :dry:

Also, what exactly was the point in having Charlize Theron in the movie? (Or her character for that matter?)

But anyway, Prometheus was easily Ridley Scott's worst movie since Gladiator.

But it could be worse. It could be Alien Resurrection.

V

violaine

They didn't find their feet w this one but I still liked it. I would love to see a different, expanded cut. I am rather taken with the Engineer storyline (and all of the things I hope the next movie(s) might reveal).

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I couldn't resist stating how backwards I thought that was...and why did it put a smile on my face?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
An exerpt:

And Roger Ebert gave it 4 stars out of 4. It must've been filmed in Chicago. :dry:

Also, what exactly was the point in having Charlize Theron in the movie? (Or her character for that matter?)

But anyway, Prometheus was easily Ridley Scott's worst movie since Gladiator.

But it could be worse. It could be Alien Resurrection.
Since when is Gladiator regarded as bad?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Since when is Gladiator regarded as bad?

The movie is just as clumsy, and one of the hokiest, corniest movies I've ever seen. It certainly didn't deserve an Oscar for Best Picture, and the visual effects (which also won an Oscar) were atrocious.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
The movie is just as clumsy, and one of the hokiest, corniest movies I've ever seen. It certainly didn't deserve an Oscar for Best Picture, and the visual effects (which also won an Oscar) were atrocious.
No, no, no, no. For when it came out, it was epic.