• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Die Welle (The Wave) 2008 German Film

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This movie was great! Has anyone else seen it? Talk about a compelling sociocultural and political lesson--

Diewelle_poster.jpg

View Clips Synopsis:
When Rainer Wegner, a popular high school teacher, finds himself relegated to teaching autocracy as part of the schools project week, hes less than enthusiastic. So are his students, who greet the prospect of studying fascism yet again with apathetic grumbling: The Nazis sucked. We get it. Struck by the teenagers complacency and unwitting arrogance, Rainer devises an unorthodox experiment. But his hastily conceived lesson in social orders and the power of unity soon grows a life of its own.

In probing the underpinnings of fascism, The Wave is far from a social-studies lesson. As with his previous film, Before the Fall, director Dennis Gansel fashions an energetic, gripping drama that cuts through superficial ideological interrogatives and goes straight for the veins--the human psychologies and individual behaviors that contribute to collective movements. In unpeeling the emotional layers and contradictions of his characters (the need to belong, to be empowered, to escape social distinctions), Gansel offers a humanistic perspective on the terrifying irony that these students may welcome the very things they denounce.

And lest we too easily dismiss this cautionary tale, its noteworthy that the true story that prompted Todd Strassers novel The Wave (from which the film was adapted) did not take place in Germany, but at a high school in Palo Alto.

N

NPcomplete

I read the book some years ago. It was quite the chilling eye-opener. I didn't know there was another movie. I'll have to check it out one day. :D

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Yeah, I know the film. For those who are interested, there was also already a short American film in 1981 called "The Wave" which is also based on the same book. They showed us that one at school once back then. The film seems to be fully uploaded on Youtube.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I remember seeing the old version in my social studies class. It would be interesting to see how the new one compares.