• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Weird, dark movies

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The movies I'm always drawn to are the weird dark ones. I have a need to ritualistically creep myself out.

I just watched Antichrist (2009, Lars von Trier), & it was the most unsettling thing I've seen in a while. I may have nightmares.

Regardless I'd like to know what are some of the weirdest &/or darkest movies you've seen... disturbing / frightening isn't necessary, since I'm more interested in the weirdness (which can be dark as well as comical) than anything else.

A lot of people think a director like David Lynch is weird, but to my thinking he's more toward strange. People often confuse the two.

But what are some movies that etc.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just watched Antichrist (2009, Lars von Trier), & it was the most unsettling thing I've seen in a while. I may have nightmares.

I haven't seen that one, but I did see Breaking the Waves and Dogville by him -- definitely some of the better but also very much bleaker movies I've ever seen. Dogville has a pretty hard ending. It wasn't unsettling in terms of having nightmares, but definitely unsettling in its view and assessment of humanity.

Lynch, I actually do find unsettling (I'm thinking of Mulholland Drive, for one, aside from the strangeness; and while I saw Blue Velvet over twenty years ago, imagery from that movie and overtones of Dennis Hopper's performance still linger with me).

Pan's Labyrinth was a good mix of the unsettling + the beautiful, both accentuating each other. I'm not even talking the supernatural sequences (although the Pale Man is pretty good); her stepfather is a relentless monster. The scene where two rurals are captured while claiming to be hunting rabbits is probably one of the most unapologetical brutal scenes I have ever seen in a movie of any sort.

KDude

I've only seen the Idiots (a Von Trier film). I wouldn't say it's disturbing though. Kind of funny actually.

Man Bites Dog is another film made with the dogma95 philosophy, but a Belgian director.. Disturbing AND funny at the same time.

Tetsuo: The Iron Man might be in my top 5 of disturbing films.

F

figsfiggyfigs

I could've sworn I posted here.

I know this sounds odd, especially considering how this movie did, but I found Sucker Punch to be extremely depressing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I forgot to mention Brazil, by Terry Gilliam. It was both weird and unsettling, yet familiar and even dryly funny.

I know this sounds odd, especially considering how this movie did, but I found Sucker Punch to be extremely depressing.

it kind of was, although the Extended Cut had a scene with the High Roller and Babydoll that helped make her seem less a victim and more like she had found some sort of way to take control of her future, based on the limited options she had available.

I added my comment about Brazil up above because the protagonist resolution of the traditional Brazil cut and the Extended Cut of Sucker Punch are conceptually the same.

jhoro115

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Does it have to be a feature film? Cuz' there's plenty of horrifying things on youtube that warrant a life-time achievement award for this title:

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] I've been meaning to see Brazil. I like Terry Gilliam & I've heard that's his best movie.

I saw Pan's Labyrinth a few years ago but can't remember a thing about it. I'll watch it again.

One of the coolest weird films I've seen recently (I've been on a kick for oh... a month now) was 'I Can See You', released in 2008. It was so awesome.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJWsJY7K_yA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJWsJY7K_yA[/YOUTUBE]

Not a very coherent trailer though.

[MENTION=4532]Lightyear[/MENTION] I saw Dogtooth & it was great too.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For more weird, what about Repo Man?
I haven't seen Buckaroo Bonzai for a while, so I can't remember if that is crazy-weird.

I think The Ring is soooper creepy.

The imagery and ambiance of that movie is awesome.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Cell was definitely weird. This was because it was deliberately trying to be. I'm sitting on a fence as to whether or not I should call it dark, because to be honest, the "darkness" was actually kinda silly.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was a better example of both dark and weird if I'm allowed to talk about mainstream movies in this thread.

Nicodemus

The weirdest films that come to mind are some of Alejandro Jodorowsky's, such as 'El Topo' and 'The Holy Mountain'.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not necessarily weird, but certainly dark is Kids. Takashi Miike films are also a good source of more traditional weird/creep out. I'd recommend Audition, or his short film in Three Extremes.

If you don't mind television, you should get into American Horror Story. It's a flawed show in a lot of ways, but still an excellent source of odd, creepy bullshit.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not necessarily weird, but certainly dark is Kids. Takashi Miike films are also a good source of more traditional weird/creep out. I'd recommend Audition, or his short film in Three Extremes.

Audition is on my "must see" list.

I've also had "A tale of Two Sisters" recommended, but have not yet seen it -- although apparently I've seen the American remake called "The Uninvited" (which I would say has some good parts and some bad; the acting of the sisters is good).

If you don't mind television, you should get into American Horror Story. It's a flawed show in a lot of ways, but still an excellent source of odd, creepy bullshit.

Heh, i think it's so good cuz it's so flawed -- they sacrificed certain sensibilities to free them up in other ways.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
The imagery and ambiance of that movie is awesome.

Yeah, the visual imagery is really good. Muted yet rich colors. Misty, rainy and green. Pretty much what the Northwest is. The story is preposterous, but I still really like the movie! The horse suicide is particulary creepers.