• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Weird, dark movies

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Haha! That's a great promotional blurb for Solondz. And I think it's true.

You mentioned Little Children - that's another film I quite enjoy, and its overall feeling is similar to that of Happiness.

I agree with you about Melancholia being gorgeous and soothing to look at, which is strange considering the subject matter. I think Lars von Trier described it as "a beautiful film about the end of the world." I've also heard it referred to as "a cinematic last supper," although I can't remember where I read that.

I would hypothetically go gay for the chick who played Lisbeth Salander in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Unfortunately I only like her character and not the actress herself.

:heart: ur avatar

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I considered Delicatessen, but the comic element swayed me from adding it. Spirited Away was even seemed even darker because it was animated- heightened because of the contrast with the themes/mood I am used to in animation media.

Yeah I don't think Delicatessan is that dark. One of my faves, though.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wouldn't classify either of these as 'weird', but both are dark.

'Freeway' - I found very disturbing, but possibly I was just too creeped out by Kiefer Sutherland and couldn't watch the final 20% or so of the movie
'Hard Candy' - disturbing and dark, but I really enjoyed it.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh my all time favorite black comedy is Girly.

Because killing men for sport after seducing them to your English estate is hilarious.

midnight rambler

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
here is a list i found dark
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Butterfly Effect
Rosemary's Baby
Se7en
Flat liners
The Prestige

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Chopper and The Wrestler are both disturbing to me, though they aren't horror at all.

Interesting. So what made The Wrestler "disturbing" for you?
(I thought it was a great movie, but it left my heart aching at the end... rather than feeling disturbed.)

Oh my all time favorite black comedy is Girly.
Because killing men for sport after seducing them to your English estate is hilarious.

:(
I wish I had an English estate.
it's just not the same killing them in my cheap apartment that I have to split costs with a friend for.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Interesting. So what made The Wrestler "disturbing" for you?
(I thought it was a great movie, but it left my heart aching at the end... rather than feeling disturbed.)

I'm more easily disturbed by realistic things than by horror or weird movies, just like the realistic violence and the emptiness of his life, and the issues with his daughter, and the way the film ended...just an overall yucky-humanity feeling.

:(
I wish I had an English estate.
it's just not the same killing them in my cheap apartment that I have to split costs with a friend for.

I know! Me too. :boohoo:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm more easily disturbed by realistic things than by horror or weird movies, just like the realistic violence and the emptiness of his life, and the issues with his daughter, and the way the film ended...just an overall yucky-humanity feeling.

yeah, that is what I was imagining, when I thought back on that movie.... It was very much a tragedy pic (not to mention Mickey Rourke's movie back into the industry... he was pretty amazing in it).

I know! Me too. :boohoo:

hmm... maybe if a few of us pooled our money together we could rent our own English mansion and it could become known as the "House of Horrors" or the "Mansion of Mayhem"... mua ha ha.....

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Blue Velvet
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090756/
MV5BMTM0Mjk2Njc0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjA1MzgxNA@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I need to rewatch that. all I remember now is the guttering flame, but it was the perfect image... it still sticks with me.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Legacy (1978)
The Godsend (1980)
The Little Girl who Lived down the Lane (1976)

Also a weird move I saw long ago, and whose title escapes me now, about sheep taking over New Zealand, and full of lots of Biblical references (e.g. the meek shall inherit the earth).

Permabanned
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQp4pJf6sUg&feature=related"]HA[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Cby33ZR98"]WW[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_6WmVIKkkY&NR=1"]FG[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T5_0AGdFic"]MP[/YOUTUBE]
:ninja:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

thanks for that... I love how easy it is to change the tone of something just by how it's edited and mixed.

I read about this one somewhere and I'm interested--reminiscent of THX-1138.

The trailer was pretty kick ass. Not sure about the movie itself, its scores on IMDB weren't impressive. Looks like it would be worth a view. It's so hard to tell with trailers; the Prometheus trailer was different than the movie, etc.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just saw Battle Royale.. It was kind of stupid and senseless in a way.... But something about it was intriguing, I couldn't put my finger on it and I couldn't stop watching.... I think it was all the declarations of love mixed with killings or something... And kids trying to overthrow systems and failing. Everything the most dramatic about the world all wrapped up into one movie. Three stars for blood spurting everywhere. It's one of those movies that you won't be able to forget.... It left gory blood stains all over my soul.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[YOUTUBE="1OWdw1IwdYY"]I forgot- I wanted to add this bizarre, somewhat dark animated film from my childhood.[/YOUTUBE]

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I caught the end part of Deadgirl not too long ago. I've seen a lot of shit, and this one left me feeling unsettled.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just saw Battle Royale.. It was kind of stupid and senseless in a way.... But something about it was intriguing, I couldn't put my finger on it and I couldn't stop watching.... I think it was all the declarations of love mixed with killings or something... And kids trying to overthrow systems and failing. Everything the most dramatic about the world all wrapped up into one movie. Three stars for blood spurting everywhere. It's one of those movies that you won't be able to forget.... It left gory blood stains all over my soul.

I'm about half an hour into it (it's on NetFlix), and I find the same thing... it's like a typical goofy Asian flick in its sensibilities, but there's something raw about it that is appealing. I felt like the first ten minutes of so of the students killing each other (after grabbing their gear) was more intriguing than the Hunger Games, which had a much higher production budget. I felt like the latter was sanitized and even captured some of the worse aspects of movies like "The Running Man".