• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8

silverchris9

MBTI Type
ENFP
Just a few amidst the multitude that I'm currently working on:

Notes From The Air: Selected Later Poems-John Ashbery
Hazmat-J.D. McClatchy
Selected Poems-A.R. Ammons
The Beauty of the Husband-Anne Carson
Break, Blow, Burn-Camille Paglia

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
41YHYB8NY8L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Help me....

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*suggests One Fish, Two Fish to nozflubber to clear his mind*

Notes of a Dirty Old Man- Bukowski

The Decameron- Bocaccio

Maya

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm nearing the end of Watchmen, should be finished soonafter I post this. Great stuff.

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I just opened a book on neuroplasticity.. i think it's called The Brain and The Mind + subtitle I didn't really pay attention to. It looks interesting... the first chapter quotes a dialogue from aliens who talk about our brains being innovative meat....

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Just finished Chronicle of a Death Foretold yesterday. Didn't really feel the Nobel Peace Prize win-niness.

Also recently finished The Great Gatsby.

heart

heart on fire
I recently finished a biography on Alexander Hamilton. Chernow is a pretty good biographer, though I disagree with some of his political opinions that seep into his commentary. I'm now reading another of his biographies, this one on John D. Rockefeller.

[/img]

Chernow's biography on Hamilton was excellent and one of the most interesting histories on that whole time period I've read in a long time. I actually felt sympathy for Hamilton. :) I think both the republicans and the federalists were whacked during that time and their conflicts are totally fascinating to read about so I just ignore the political opinions.

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Dunno whether this is the right thread for this info, but apparently Cormac McCarthy's childhood home burned to the ground this week. That kinda sucks, since it was considered a landmark.

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
(Yes, McCarthy is my current obsession ... his writing is AMAZING!!)

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCathy.

I haven't quite started it, yet, but soon. Soon.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Colors said:
Just finished Chronicle of a Death Foretold yesterday. Didn't really feel the Nobel Peace Prize win-niness.

Also recently finished The Great Gatsby.

Went back to greater elaborate my thoughts to find that the "time-to-edit" has expired.

Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcia Marquez- What's the point of inverting the chronological order of the unfolding of the crime if there's no payoff? It definitely added to the tension of the beginning of the novel, but really by the end, the murder seemed rather banal, despite the gruesomenss of how it was committed, merely because the characters seemed to find it rather banal too. I suspect it's meant to inspire some feelings of horror and empathy at the tragedy of uncaringness in the world, of the shirking of responsiblity and and inevitability of being forced by social pressure (I think some more familiarity with that culture of machismo and religiousness would help me).

But really, it's easy to write of people failing. (Which is why it is such a lazy device to kill off people in a short story. It ties up loose ends. It's a cheap thrill. But you get criticism, not constructive criticism. You don't actively *learn*.) It's especially to write of people failing when you tell the audience they fail from the beginning. Hence the most interesting parts of the story are the - the lives of twins (though their moral dilemna pre-killing Santiago is also interesting) and the life-as-a-spinster of Angela Vicario. Moving on is interesting, compelling- it teaches. Dwelling, reliving, condemning- not so much.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald:
The obsession with wealth never ceases, eh? Would people die of soul-crushing existential despair if rich people were portrayed as... happy? It's strange, isn't it? Books/movies/TV/etc, they all exploit our want for wealth (by showing it, with plenty of glitzy excess). And they exploit the fear we feel because we don't have wealth, by portraying the rich as incredibly miserable. To use the very human/cultural nature that fuels/IS the interest to moralize that the interest is bad?

Ah, dear sir, if we believed you, we wouldn't need to read your book. We wouldn't want to read your book. And so exists this limbo.

I think there's a lot of Fitzgerald trying to capture the feeling of the time period (1920s). His vocabulary is very impressive and his descriptions in the first part of the book are very evocative and vivid and on-point. Jay Gatsby kind of awesome (other than is fatal flaw of LOVE, cause them womens they be bitches and hos). And I get it's supposed to be some sort of new money vs. old money thing and in the sense that Jay doesn't have a "birthright" (but then the book goes and confirms that he doesn't have a right to be sucessful by killing him off). I guess I never bought into the plot mechanations, which were sort of classic melodrama, which was very jarring in comparison to what was at first spot-on cynical commentary by Nick. (And the poooHoor people all dying horribly, what a nice message. And the rich people being all jackasses. :rolli:)

Nick and Jordan's relationship is *very* interesting though. Wish there was more on that.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I keep picking up Ender's shadow and reading it (again) because I need an infusion of new books.

Someone get me the last book in the robot series to read plz.

Jasz

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
"the long tail" by wired editor. interesting concept, boring read (can it get any dryer???)