• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Still chugging along on Borge's Labyrinths. Starting on Plato's Republic, I have low expectations for it, but I thought I'd give it a go for having some grounding in historical thought.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
"Hello, My Name is Ice Cream". This might be the most awesome book I've read this year. It's about making various types of ice cream, sherbet, frozen yogurt, and toppings like milk jam, caramelized Rice Crispies, cinnamon-brown sugar streusel, butterscotch ripple, and gooey butter cake.

If you boil milk with a little sugar, it will eventually become golden brown and transform into a spreadable jam. You might know it as dulce de leche. Unlike caramel, which gets its deep golden brown flavor from the breakdown of sugars, milk jam gets its flavor from the Maillard reaction, which involves the browning of proteins. You might find yourself spooning milk jam on everything, from cookies to toast, and even into your morning coffee - hint, hint.

Truly life changing if you like ice cream.

Neal Caffreynated

Artist/Playboy/Traveller
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
On Connoisseurship and Reason in the Authentification of Art by Andrew Brainerd :cool:

It's quite good especially if you're interested in art authentification. Brainerd's idea is basically to show the difference there is between ‘connoisseurship’ (he considers a bit like the 'sixth sense' of the authenticator which is rarely questioned) and reason that relies on sciences, and he shows this through some case studies.

Brainerd was actually a lawyer who bought four paintings in the late 1960's which were thought at first to be forgeries as their owner had been branded as a crook and forger by professional authenticators. So Brainerd wanted to prove that an expert’s intuition wasn’t always right since it could be influenced sometimes for financial, professional subjective reasons.

What’s also interesting is that this book describes the main scientific methods of investigation used to detect forgeries :)

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
"The Malaysian Kitchen" by Christina Arokiasamy.

The pandan is an integral part of Malaysian and Indonesian desserts. As my Balinese friends would say, "The kitchen gods are always watching, so we must respect each ingredient, including the pandan, for without our earth's bounty we would not be able to enjoy such delicious flavors." Pandan leaves impart herbal and vanilla-like flavors; this recipe uses pure pandan juice, which is extracted from the fresh leaves. This lends a subtle matcha green tea-like flavor and distinctive fragrance. This dessert is a cousin to flan, and much loved in Malaysia for high tea.

Some of the ingredients, like pandan leaves, might be hard to track down, but the photos look great and the instructions are simple.

Lark

Fascism: A Warning by Madeleine Albright

Fascism: A really good way to spoil your weekend and make everyone hate you

:D

- - - Updated - - -

"The Malaysian Kitchen" by Christina Arokiasamy.

Some of the ingredients, like pandan leaves, might be hard to track down, but the photos look great and the instructions are simple.

Sounds really good, I'll be checking the blog for updates, hope it works out as it appears in the recipe book :)

Lark

Reading a bunch of books at the moment, Reasons To Stay Alive by Matt Haig, Walt Whitman's Guide to Manly Health and Training, Vasily Grossman's Life and Fate, also reading bits from Benjamin Kunkel's Utopia or Bust (that's a good book I think Tellenbach would like) and I've not finished Ray Russell's Haunted Castles.

Though that said, I'm trying to curtail my reading a little, or manage my time to allow more time for walking, I want to get some of these books read that I can get rid of them and make some space.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just finished reading Circe by Madeline Miller. So good, y'all. If you like Greek mythology, do yourselves a favor and read it. It's one of the best reimaginings of the story I've ever come across.

61Wa7EV6-CL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Lark

I was reading Iain Levison A Working Stiff's Manifesto: A Memoir of Thirty Jobs I Quit, Nine That Fired Me, and Three I Can't Remember

This book is madness, some of the jobs this guy takes on and they hired him and he didnt have any experience or know what he was doing, if its to be believed he had extra special bluffing skills, some of it is shocking but it some how is not completely unbelievable, like one place he worked were the staff were robbing the place to make ends meet, I feel bad for him most of the time reading it but I also think some of the businesses or employers are just in awful fixes too.

There's some interesting asides about the rich, particularly the kids of the rich, which rings very, very true. Anyone who has read or seen The Bling Ring would probably like this book too. It also seems to really ring true given some of the press coverage I've read from the US of infamous pseudo-celebrities like nazi troll no. 1 and stuff like that.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Started 'Dead Souls' by Gogol a few nights ago. It seems promising.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just finished The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins. WTF did I just read ... :shock:

I’m not sure whether I liked it or not. I found it simultaneously tedious and unputdownable, as evinced by the fact that I finished it in two days. The characters were almost uniformly loathsome, albeit in varying degrees, and there was no one really to root for or identify with ... and yet I needed to know how things turned out for them. It’s all too much for my pea brain to deal with.