• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This Barns & Noble publication called
Seven Novels by Jules Verne
8588776._UY451_SS451_.jpg

I first read Around the World in Eighty Days, then I read Journey to the Center of the Earth, then I read Twenty-Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, and now I'm reading From The Earth to the Moon.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. I read Joan Vinge.

If you liked the Miles books, you might want to try Elizabeth Moon. Her Heris Serrano books are really enjoyable. As our David Weber's early Honor Harrington works. Both featured strong female leads.
I'll try that

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Loved that book. It's a gem within black humour. Starts out real funny and slowly starts to get depressing. What do you think of it?

I'm stilling reading it, but it's hilarious. It hasn't got too depressing yet, but I think it's getting there especially with Milo's selfish behavior.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I am currently reading Hitchikers Guide and also reading some Warcraft books.

PalebloodHunter

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. The main character is annoyingly perfect but the book is brilliantly written.

Kephalos

J.M.P.P. R.I.P. B5: RLOAI
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
An Introduction to Roman Law -- Barry Nicholas
A Textbook of Roman Law -- WW Buckland
Roman Private Law -- Alvaro d'Ors
Economics of the Law -- Torts, Contracts, Property, Litigation -- Thomas Miceli

Carpe Vinum

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Diogenes the Cynic: War Against the World by Luis E. Navia and also rereading Gulliver's Travels.

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
An Introduction to Roman Law -- Barry Nicholas
A Textbook of Roman Law -- WW Buckland
Roman Private Law -- Alvaro d'Ors
Economics of the Law -- Torts, Contracts, Property, Litigation -- Thomas Miceli

That seems oddly specific. Why Roman law? Are you taking a course in law school?

Kephalos

J.M.P.P. R.I.P. B5: RLOAI
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
That seems oddly specific. Why Roman law? Are you taking a course in law school?

Well, I've been reading on law and economics, which mostly focuses on Anglo-American common law. But, I think that the same analysis can be performed on Roman-Civil law. Also, I don't know if you've ever heard about Italian jurist Bruno Leoni, but he had that same idea that the development of Roman law and common law were, contrary to the common perception, quite similar. Another inspirationis Richard Epstein's chapter in an Oxford Handbook of Roman Law called "Economic Structure of Roman Property Law" which is written from a point of view similar to the analysis of property found in Miceli's book that I'm reading.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
The Emperor's New Drugs: Exploding the Antidepressant Myth.

Amazing research into the clinical trials of antidepressant drugs. Basically, the author alleges that antidepressants work via the placebo effect; they're basically worthless and the drug companies hid negative results.

Although many depressed patients improve when given medication, so do many who are given a placebo, and the difference between the drug response and the placebo response is not all that great. What the published studies really indicate is that most of the improvement shown by depressed people when they take antidepressants is due to the placebo effect.

It's a $19 billion/year scam.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just finished "The Bat" by Jo Nesbø... and I understand why it wasn't the first Jo Nesbø mystery to be translated into English even though it's the first of the series. "Norwegian guy goes to Australia and learns about Australian culture" seems decidedly less exotic when English is your first language. (Not to mention, I cannot imagine how awkward it must read to actual Australians, especially re: the clumsiness with which the protagonist navigates race politics.)

Excited to move on to book 2 ("Cockroaches") though :) and then to finishing book 3 ("The Redbreast", which I got halfway through and then got distracted from). The goal is to read all the books up to "The Snowman" so I can be as prepared for the upcoming movie version as possible.

(side note, I'm concerned that Michael Fassbender won't get the humor right. He's definitely intense enough, but I haven't seen that kind of wry, playful snark out of him before.)

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
oh now I have to reread Brave New World for class. I can't just bs it since we have to annotate it for a grade.