• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm almost finished with the Wheel of Time series.....thank God for Brandon Sanderson coming to the rescue of the collective fandom.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not to beat a dead horse, but I hope that doesn't happen with GRRM. I don't think GRRM is as old as people think he is though. He's in his 60's. Not a spring chicken, but there's a big difference between 60 and 100.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Not to beat a dead horse, but I hope that doesn't happen with GRRM. I don't think GRRM is as old as people think he is though. He's in his 60's. Not a spring chicken, but there's a big difference between 60 and 100.

Yeah, I wouldn't start to worry until he's at least in his seventies....unless, of course, he's also been dying of some mysterious illness for several years, and still only moves the plot of his books along by two fucking days through about 800 pages while the fandom's sitting on death watch.

Me: What are we going to do if he dies before finishing this thing?
Friend: Shut up.
Me: I heard he has cancer-
Friend: SHUT UP!!!

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just picked up "Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened" by Allie Brosh from the library.

rav3n

Trying Clash of Kings one more time. It bored me to catatonic the last time. Loved the previous books.

zulidadwi

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I have finished Tiger's Trilogy from Colleen Houck.

Have anyone ever read "The Geography of Bliss" by Eric Weiner *it's a good stuff*

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"Shadow of the Torturer" by Gene Wolfe

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
"Phantom" by Jo Nesbø, and "Ernest Hemingway: A Life Story" by...someone.

kquirk

amateur cartographer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
18385.jpg

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How do you like it?

I finished "Shadow of the Torturer" and wanted to give you a better review of it than I was able to when you first asked.

I really liked it. There seems to be a lot of layers to it. Some events keep being referred to, but aren't explained fully, or resolved, so there's some mystery as to what's really going on. It might be because I ended up reading it in short spurts, but the real action part of the story seemed to start very late in the book. However, it was intriguing enough that I'm very much looking forward to starting book 2.

Nicodemus

I finished "Shadow of the Torturer" and wanted to give you a better review of it than I was able to when you first asked.

I really liked it. There seems to be a lot of layers to it. Some events keep on being referred to, but aren't explained fully, or resolved, so there's some mystery as to what's really going on. It might be because I ended up reading it in short spurts, but the real action part of the story seemed to start very late in the book. However, it was intriguing enough that I'm very much looking forward to starting book 2.
That is certainly true. I love it. It is one of my favorite books. There is a lot of Ti-explanation there, but if you keep on being sensible instead of nerdy, you will find it much more rewarding in its continued mysteriousness than in the 'ultimate' solutions you could encounter (which, anyway, you can only guess at when you have finished the whole series).

Gene Wolfe is one of the few writers whose intelligence has really impressed me.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Now reading The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements, by Sam Kean... quite fascinating so far :yes:

Before that read two Mary Roach books... Stiff and Gulp. Both quite edutaining... I blame NPR for the fact that I HAD to read them :laugh: I'd definitely recommend all three

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That is certainly true. I love it. It is one of my favorite books. There is a lot of Ti-explanation there, but if you keep on being sensible instead of nerdy, you will find it much more rewarding in its continued mysteriousness than in the 'ultimate' solutions you could encounter (which, anyway, you can only guess at when you have finished the whole series).

Gene Wolfe is one of the few writers whose intelligence has really impressed me.

I just started "The Claw of the Conciliator" and I went :doh: How did I miss that it's all about the possibilities? I should be letting my imagination run wild with this story, instead of keeping it on a leash. Brilliant!