• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm currently reading Michael Crichton's "The Great Train Robbery". I'll probably read "A Farewell to Arms" next, and then I want to find something on Dabrowski's five overexcitabilities if good literature on them is available. The above author was on the daily show a little while ago and the book he was promoting seemed rather interesting.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Well, I was about to say "I'm reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo," but nevermind: apparently doing so will suck me into some silly argument/discussion about the literary merit of Stieg Larsson's books. :ninja:
Naw, you can be like me and stay out of it.... the books aren't the best ever, but I'm enjoying them and that's enough for me! :)

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I was about to say "I'm reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo," but nevermind: apparently doing so will suck me into some silly argument/discussion about the literary merit of Stieg Larsson's books. :ninja:

My bad. I forgot this was yet another inane "show n tell" thread. How fucking radical that someone might actually have an opinion to offer about something they've read instead of just posting random trivia about their day. :rolleyes:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Next one will appear in my mailbox, hopefully tomorrow or on monday.
This is the one:

290px-The_High_King_of_Montival_Cover.jpg

Ah, is that out now? I've read the entire series. I tried to read the Nantucket series, but that sucked.

If Aquarelle is stil eyeing this thread, this is a good series, it prominentely features historical reinactors, and I can think of at least a couple characters you'd probably like.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I read "Let the Right One In" (450 pages) last week.
Pretty enjoyable.

Normally I also consider comparisons to Stephen King on the backs of books to be ridiculous, it's never really true; but in this case, stylistically, I could understand why the comparison was being made.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Ah, is that out now? I've read the entire series. I tried to read the Nantucket series, but that sucked.

If Aquarelle is stil eyeing this thread, this is a good series, it prominentely features historical reinactors, and I can think of at least a couple characters you'd probably like.

Hmm, maybe I'll have to look into that series. I just received a Borders coupon in my email, so I am going to the bookstore tonight to pick something out. Wheeeee!

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Yes, it came out in the beginning of September (or was it October?). Anyway, it's out as of just recently, and i'll get my copy on monday :)

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Light reading... just finishing change of heart by Jodi Picoult
bout to read Samurai William by Giles Milton
Still reading (slowly) Don Quixote by Cervantes and also The Romanovs by Lindsey Huges

Want to read....in the near future

The communist manifesto, Karl Marx
Discourses, Machievelli
Leviathan, Thomas Hobbs
The Journeys of Socrates, Dan Millman
The Nicomachean Ethics, Aristotle

In the long term, the list is exhaustless

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you going to answer that, Mme. Le Fay?
Nicodemus said:

Perhaps I should have said it was wildly exaggerated instead?
Although, what I actually had in mind (four different possible interpretations - the ambiguity is intentional) shouldn’t really matter to someone for whom there is nothing outside the text.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
In the last 2 nights before bed, I read a book (Anastasia Absolutely) from one of my favorite series as a child, the Anastasia Krupnik books. So great!!

For my trip I got The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I really enjoyed The Shadow of the Wind, so I think it should be good.

Nicodemus

Perhaps I should have said it was wildly exaggerated instead?
That would have been a mistake.

Although, what I actually had in mind (four different possible interpretations - the ambiguity is intentional) shouldn’t really matter to someone for whom there is nothing outside the text.
But you are talking with me, not with someone for whom there is nothing outside the text (which, additionally, is still unfolding). Please speak your mind, you don't usually hold back your opinions.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That would have been a mistake.

But you are talking with me, not with someone for whom there is nothing outside the text (which, additionally, is still unfolding). Please speak your mind, you don't usually hold back your opinions.
You consistently fail to read my tone accurately; perhaps I do yours. Either way, I'm bored by long-winded explication for people who insist on taking themselves/others so seriously.

I've stated my opinion of the book in brief (which is the purpose of this thread). If you want to have a discussion about post-structuralist literary theory it might be best to start another thread.

93JC

Huh. I finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last night, and I've got to say... it really was lacking in substance. :shrug: The first couple hundred pages kept my attention but the last six-hundred-and-whatever I burned through, hoping the story would get better.

For a supposedly feminist book it sure doesn't seem to speak very highly of women. Blomkvist screwed, what, three of the main female characters? Berger, fine, but what was the point of the tryst with Cecilia Vanger? And Lisbeth?

I'm totally at a loss. Lisbeth really is about as deep as Lara Croft. What the hell? Why even have a rape subplot with Lisbeth at all? Some sort of analogy (w.r.t. Harriet)?

I don't get it.