• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I will be reading speaker for the dead and xenocide (sequels to ender's game, by orson scott card) as soon as I get the initiative to pick them up at the library, where they're waiting for me.

And also catch-22, when I pick it up, and also some book about string theory I'm struggling through, and I'm also 'reading' a book of "brain-exercises" or something like that. And I started reading a mindless Xanth book by piers anthony, but I got bored quickly. And I'm re-reading Redwall, too.

(I like to read many books concurrently, as you can see. I get too bored of one book if it takes longer than one session to read)

sundowning

MBTI Type
ISTP
To Kill a Mockingbird and Emma.

I'm at the part where Mrs. Elton comes to Highbury.

Kind of interested to see how it ends.

Also reading A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (kind of gaimen-esque) and Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott.

Trystorp

MBTI Type
INTP
I just joined a "50 books in a year" challenge group on LibraryThing. As I state in my post, I think I probably read far more than that but it should be interesting to track them over the course of a year.

LibraryThing post

Ah, I notice this is my first posting here. I've been lurking since the beginning but hadn't taken the plunge yet.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Nothing at the moment

Anyone want to give me a suggestion? I like books that make me cringe.
Chuck Palahniuk.

EDIT - Here's my favorite review from amazon about Palahniuk's Choke:

Chief Justice Brennan in 1957 described this book when he wrote the Roth decision and defined obscenity. When a work is utterly without redeeming social importance and when for the average person, applying contemporary community standards, the dominant theme of the material taken as a whole appeals to prurient interest, it is obscene. This book about a sex addict is marked by an immoderate and/or unwholesome interest in unusual sexual desire: the very definition of prurient. Choke could be subtitled: ' A Dictionary of Genitalia and Sexual Intercourse to Debase the Human Body and the Sex Act.'

raincrow007

MBTI Type
INTP
I just joined a "50 books in a year" challenge group on LibraryThing. As I state in my post, I think I probably read far more than that but it should be interesting to track them over the course of a year.

LibraryThing post

Ah, I notice this is my first posting here. I've been lurking since the beginning but hadn't taken the plunge yet.

Trystorp! :hi:

Ever read The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx? ;)

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Reading Lolita in Tehran - Azar Nafisi
A Cure for Dreams - Kaye Gibbons
A Raisin in the Sun - Lorraine Hansberry (this is with the kids)

and occasionally some poetry, depending on my mood... Mary Oliver, mostly, for the time being.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Nobody seems to read trash here. I keep waiting for someone to post that they are reading Danielle Steele or the like!

-Geoff

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Nothing at the moment

Anyone want to give me a suggestion? I like books that make me cringe.

Out: by Natsuo Kirino
Grotesque by Natsuo Kirino

Was in Seattle..heard her do a book reading at the Elliot Bay Book Co. (my favorite place there). You'd cringe at Out.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Reading Lolita in Tehran - Azar Nafisi
A Cure for Dreams - Kaye Gibbons
A Raisin in the Sun - Lorraine Hansberry (this is with the kids)

and occasionally some poetry, depending on my mood... Mary Oliver, mostly, for the time being.

I read Reading Lolita in Tehran. I truly enjoyed it and I think that Azar Nafisi is an ENFJ (so many things she thought and did I would think and do) But it took me sooooo long to read. Generally I breeze thru a book in a day or two. That book took me two weeks.

Langrenus

Out of interest, has anyone read (and I mean actually read, not stopped after 30 pages and/or just allowed-their-eyes-to-wander-over-the-pages-without-digesting) Ulysses?

If so, any tips?