• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Think and Grow Rich! by Napoleon Hill.

It's time I cash in on my beautiful brain. ;)

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Three books at the moment, they all seem to intersect somehow.

The Goal by Eliyahu M. Goldratt
Novel about Business Management. Quite a relaxing way to learn about it. I think I pick up on the concepts a bit quicker than the protagonist, but there is enough other stuff going on to read it as a novel between learning.

Things That Make Us Smart by Donald A. Norman
I picked this up off the shelf in the library randomly and it is a good read. It's written by a cognitive scientist and is about man's interaction with technology, why we create technology, and how we can create it in a way which enhances the user's abilities and life rather than being detrimental to it. It made me think a lot about how we use technology at home and in the workplace, and how it is often used in a way which is not the most beneficial or productive.

Understanding Media by Marshall McLuhan (reread)
One of the more important media texts around. Gives a good understanding of communications, media, and how inventions in the area influence society.

N

NPcomplete

I thought The Romanov Prophecy was terrible, thealchemist. YMMV, of course, but there was a distinct lack of actual historical mystery-solving.

It was, wasn't it? I ended up finishing the book only because I didn't have anything left. I found it predictable and I kept looking for the mystery-solving. I haven't read other Steve Berry books (nor do I intend to now) but I'm guessing that he may similar to Dan Brown.

So now I'm reading Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke. I dislike Mr Norrell and the part about him is excruciatingly long but I have to meet the mysterious Mr Strange.

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Robert B Parker - Looking for Rachel Wallace

vilijaba

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway. It's my first Hemingway's book and I'm not impressed so far. Nevertheless, it's not very wise to judge a book before having finished reading it.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway. It's my first Hemingway's book and I'm not impressed so far. Nevertheless, it's not very wise to judge a book before having finished reading it.

I think his short fiction is better especially the Men without Women compilation

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It was, wasn't it? I ended up finishing the book only because I didn't have anything left. I found it predictable and I kept looking for the mystery-solving. I haven't read other Steve Berry books (nor do I intend to now) but I'm guessing that he may similar to Dan Brown.

So now I'm reading Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke. I dislike Mr Norrell and the part about him is excruciatingly long but I have to meet the mysterious Mr Strange.

I finished it too, just out of sheer stubborn-ness, I suppose. :p Jonathan Strange is on my not-read bookshelf- but I'm a little intimidated by its length! I'm getting old and too impatient for books that can't get to the point. Please tell us how it is!

Reading Fledgling by Octavia Butler. I picked it up because I enjoyed her Kindred so very much earlier this year. I can already tell it's not going to be as good, but it's still diverting at this point, so I soldier on. Also reading Silent Spring by Rachel Carson (to feel like I'm edumacating myself or something) and another book that shall remain unnamed because I'm not quite sure I'm up to getting past the first chapter yet (oh, my sad sad foreign language skills).

F

figsfiggyfigs

currently:

Eat Love Pray

The keys to the golden Firebird

a few Spanish books( teaching myself castellano) :D!!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Recently finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and awaiting my copy of The Girl Who Played with Fire. I liked the plot of the first one, but the writing seemed a tad dry to me- sometimes it seemed like it was just "And then this happened. And what happened next was amazing. And blah blah blah." but that could just be an issue with translation OR an example of Swedish spartanism. Like Ikea, in a book. It kept compelling me to read further, though, so it can't have been too distracting.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Recently finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and awaiting my copy of The Girl Who Played with Fire. I liked the plot of the first one, but the writing seemed a tad dry to me- sometimes it seemed like it was just "And then this happened. And what happened next was amazing. And blah blah blah." but that could just be an issue with translation OR an example of Swedish spartanism. Like Ikea, in a book. It kept compelling me to read further, though, so it can't have been too distracting.

How many times does he have to describe the sandwiches?

I know you, as a bona fide sammich maker loved it, but I thought it was a bit too much.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Recently finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and awaiting my copy of The Girl Who Played with Fire. I liked the plot of the first one, but the writing seemed a tad dry to me- sometimes it seemed like it was just "And then this happened. And what happened next was amazing. And blah blah blah." but that could just be an issue with translation OR an example of Swedish spartanism. Like Ikea, in a book.

:D:D Fantastic similie, haha!

I'm currently reading Laura Esquivel's Malinche. I'm having a little troube getting in to it, but maybe that's just because I've been suuuuper tired the last few times I tried to read it. I didn't care for Like Water for Chocolate but I've always been interested in the story of Malinche, so I'll give it some more time...

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

I finished it too, just out of sheer stubborn-ness, I suppose. :p Jonathan Strange is on my not-read bookshelf- but I'm a little intimidated by its length! I'm getting old and too impatient for books that can't get to the point. Please tell us how it is!

Reading Fledgling by Octavia Butler. I picked it up because I enjoyed her Kindred so very much earlier this year. I can already tell it's not going to be as good, but it's still diverting at this point, so I soldier on. Also reading Silent Spring by Rachel Carson (to feel like I'm edumacating myself or something) and another book that shall remain unnamed because I'm not quite sure I'm up to getting past the first chapter yet (oh, my sad sad foreign language skills).

I recently read Norrell & Strange... it did take me awhile to get into it, but I ended up really liking it once I did.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
How many times does he have to describe the sandwiches?

I know you, as a bona fide sammich maker loved it, but I thought it was a bit too much.

You mean all the sammiches she eats? That was distracting. It was like he was really attached to "She's tiny, but she eats six sandwiches at a sitting!" being a major part of her character development. Really, once or twice would have been plenty to drive that point home. Though I did appreciate the nod to my avocation.