• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

Jaguar

Defying the Crowd: Cultivating Creativity in a Culture of Conformity by Robert J. Sternberg and Todd I. Lubart.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
'Orlando' by Virginia Woolf. I've read a few of her other books; enjoying her writing style in this one so far; flows really nicely.

Rimarie

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick

A country so frozen in time.. :(

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm feeling like a traitor, I haven't read for weeks. I must read tomorrow or I will die... no, I must study for history class. I'll read a history book. That's it! I'm reading a history book. It's called 'Perspektiv på historien 1b'. :sage:

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Polite Lies by Kyoko Mori

I recently read Heavier Than Heaven, a Kurt Cobain biography by Charles R. Cross. It's an intriguing read, but flawed as a biography because it crosses the line into fiction at some points (for example, there are details about the last few hours of Cobain's life that no one could possibly know about) and the author presents too many of his own opinions and psychological analyses as the absolute truth.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Emotional Healing at Warp Speed: The Power of EMDR by David Grand. A fascinating account of a technique for relieving trauma from a psychotherapist. This technique is allegedly able to resolve decades old traumas in a single session.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, & the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
17332218.jpg

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Once upon a time... I used to read around 6 or 7 books at the same time. Without even finishing one !

Now I have calmed down:unsure:and so, this summer, I'm gonna enjoy "The cat..."by Lilian Jackson Braun.

From what I've just read, it makes me think of Agatha Christie's works.

I've got to improve my english, and it is never enough.

Mainly if I wanna be understood in my strange ideas and deep meanings:whistling:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
James Gandolfini: The Real Life of the Man Who Made Tony Soprano by Dan Bischoff

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Review of A Calculus Of Angels

In Book II of the Age of Unreason series, author Gregory Keyes takes the reader back to a fictional world from our past in which the distinction between science and magic has been blurred. Young Benjamin Franklin has brought together a Junto consisting of various factions from the American colonies and beyond in an effort to defeat the forces of evil preparing its way for the destruction of the human race. Unknown, however, is the fate of London, no word having been heard from that part of the world in many years. Blackbeard the erstwhile Pirate known as Edward Teach leads an armada to England to make a determination of London's status. What they find there horrifies them...

I found A Calculus of Angels to be a rather long, drawn-out novel with characters that didn't hold my attention as well as those in the first novel of this series, Newton's Cannon. Matters became confusing to this reader as more and more characters with various foreign and unpronounceable names are drawn into various plot-lines. There are a few moments in the novel which draw the reader's attention. And Keyes has a way of ending each chapter with a cliff-hanger which takes back up two or three chapters later. But by the time I have finished reading the intervening chapter(s), I have to try and remember what passed before, who these people are, why they are doing these things, etc.

All in all, the thesis of this sci-fi series has raised some interesting questions and created novel relationships between people from history who never met in our reality. It's rather fun to see Benjamin Franklin interacting with Sir Isaac Newton, and to watch their character arcs advance. But it creates an environment in the novel in which I'm wishing to get through the plot-line at present in order to get back to the more interesting one.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
A few books by Dr. Brian Weiss.. not sure what I think of this guy:dry:

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
The Brothers Karamazov, I've been looking forward to this.