User Tag List

First 164214254262263264265 Last

Results 2,631 to 2,640 of 2646

Quote Originally Posted by Burner View Post
    The Alienist is so fucking good, oml. Please read the sequel, The Angel of Darkness if you haven't yet.
    After I read The Alienist I kept thinking about it for the looong time. That's always the trait of the great book.
    I didn't know there is a sequel...
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

I just finished "Little women" and I liked the first part very much. With the second part I was slightly disappointed ( with all of this woman must serve and things like that) , but well... different times I suppose.
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

Guardian of Ga'Hoole Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Kas View Post
    I just finished "Little women" and I liked the first part very much. With the second part I was slightly disappointed ( with all of this woman must serve and things like that) , but well... different times I suppose.
    You should watch the movie with Saiorse Ronan and Laura Dern that came out a year or two ago. I think that addresses some of the stuff you are talking about.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

Likes chickpea liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

'Eastward to Tartary: Travels in the Balkans, the Middle East, and the Caucasus' - Robert Kaplan

Reealllly enjoying this; almost done. It is dated at this point, I suppose, but better late than never. At least I will be more knowledgeable of the areas up until 2000.

------
    And just started book one of Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive fantasy series, 'The Way of Kings.'
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    Likes General Napissimo liked this post

Vibe Curator & Nap King General Napissimo's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    731 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia by Mohsin Hamid

3rd novel of his I've read this year. Very unique narrative style this one's got; it's a parody of self-help/business books.
    "We are all refugees from our childhoods. And so, we turn, among other things, to stories.” - Mohsin Hamid

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    731 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    'Eastward to Tartary: Travels in the Balkans, the Middle East, and the Caucasus' - Robert Kaplan

Reealllly enjoying this; almost done. It is dated at this point, I suppose, but better late than never. At least I will be more knowledgeable of the areas up until 2000.

------
    And just started book one of Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive fantasy series, 'The Way of Kings.'
    Highly recommend Balkan Ghosts as well if you haven't read it
    "We are all refugees from our childhoods. And so, we turn, among other things, to stories.” - Mohsin Hamid

Likes cascadeco liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Burner View Post
    Highly recommend Balkan Ghosts as well if you haven't read it
    He's the sort of author/journalist I really like, so that is already on my list.

Edit: Have you read any Kapuscinski? I stumbled across him (Polish journalist of the latter half of the 1900's) during quarantine, and have since gotten three more of his books.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

Likes General Napissimo liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    731 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I'm torn between starting House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende and The Invention of Nature by Andrea Wulf. The former is a novel about a Chilean family through the generations, the latter a biography of scientist and polymath Alexander von Humboldt.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

https://www.amazon.com/Skyfaring-Jou...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

It's interesting and beautifully written, but I have some trouble sticking to it, perhaps because there's no narrative structure.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Has anyone else read 'Imperium' by Ryszard Kapuscinski? This is the fourth book of his that I've read, and I'm wrapping it up (I obviously appreciate his insight and observations), and this book has proven to be so informative. There is so much we are not taught in school, or even aware of in terms of the rest of the world. I think it's why this (journalism/travel memoirs/history/biography) is one of my favorite non fiction genres. I like piecing together my knowledge of the rest of the world and the conditions other people face, or realities of other people's life. Gives so much perspective.