User Tag List

First 157207247255256257258259 Last

Results 2,561 to 2,570 of 2622

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    In the midst of 'A Gentleman from Moscow', by Amor Towles. It is lovely.
    Still reading this. Also reading 'Despair' by Nabakov, and a coworker just loaned me 'The Name of the Wind', by Patrick Rothfuss (never heard of it/him, but since I love fantasy I'm sure I'll be fine with it ), which will be my book to read during breaks at work.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    Likes Pinker85 liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    458 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Masahiro moriokas series on the meaning of life, the Bible, future of nostalgia by Svetlana boym and hl Mencken on religion.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Still reading this. Also reading 'Despair' by Nabakov, and a coworker just loaned me 'The Name of the Wind', by Patrick Rothfuss (never heard of it/him, but since I love fantasy I'm sure I'll be fine with it ), which will be my book to read during breaks at work.
    Because... why not throw a 4th book into the mix, lol. Just started 'Mother of God', by Paul Rosolie.

(my reading multiple books at the same time is only a recent advent in my life, btw)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Bit Tyrants: The Political Economy of Silicon Valley by Rob Larson

Building Global Labor Solidarity in a Time of Accelerating Globalization by Kim Scipes
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Lark liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ

Translating Shadows of Ecstasy by Charles Williams. Therefore, reading it.

Wonderful read so far; extremely eye-opening. Williams seems to be quite the unsung genius of the Inklings.

"...This was the beginning of sex when far away in the ages the world divided itself in its primal dark instinct to destroy death which seemed its doom. And when man came he desired immortality, and deceived himself with begetting children and with religion and with art. All these are not ecstasy, but the shadows of ecstasy."
    "The owl of Minerva spreads its wings only with the falling of the dusk."

MBTI
    ESXP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sp

I'm about to make myself read revelations of the dark mother and the book of Nod and The Erciyes Fragments again. Trying to find parallels between the gentry and the kindred. @_@
    Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals.

Oh, we're always all right. You remember that. We happen to other people.

And I see fire, hollowing souls
    And I see fire, blood in the breeze
    And I hope that you'll remember me...

MBTI
    INTJ

"I will encounter darkness as a bride"—he was rushing towards that darkness now. The dark closed them in, but they were speeding towards the core of the darkness; the words themselves were swallowing them up. All the miracles of the poets had rent and illumined and charged that night, but the mingling light and dark which was in all easily accepted verse lay far behind them now where the wild rapture of the Africans surged above London. It was as if he had passed from them from something which was himself, to something which was even more himself. His very physical body was being carried in towards the energy which created art. Art... the ancient word so often defiled and made stupid stood for a greatness only partially explored. His body felt the energy opposite him—an energy self-restrained, self shaped. "And hug it in mine arms —" but if the arms could not bear it, if the awful blasting power of that darkness should destroy him as the glory of Zeus destroyed Semele? It was too late now for choice; he was lost and saved at once. Onward and onward, away from the ironic contemplations of the children of the wise world and from the shrieking self-immolating abandonments of the more ignorant sons of rapture; away from young perplexity and young greed; away from Isabel. High-set, as the moon now rising, he saw her, knowing in her daily experiences, her generous heart and her profound womanhood, all that he must compass sea and land to find. This was the separation that had been between man and woman from the beginning; this was fated, and this must be willed. It was the everlasting reconciliation of the everlasting contradiction-to will what was fated, to choose necessity. Perfect for one moment in his heart, he knew the choice taken."

Charles Williams, Shadows of Ecstasy

MBTI
    INTJ

"In the darkness Considine smiled. "This morning," he said, "a girl jilted a boy, and the boy said, 'Why do I suffer helplessly? This also is I—all this unutterable pain is I, and I grow everywhere through it into myself.' I could show you the street where it happened—they haven't yet pulled it down—where the boy said, 'If this pain were itself power..." So he imagined it as himself and himself as it, and because it was greater than himself he knew that he also was greater than himself, and as old and as strong as he chose. The girl's dead long ago; she was a pretty baby."

"But then?" Roger asked.

"Then—a little later-before noon," the voice answered, "the boy found another girl and loved her. But as that love spread through him he remembered the vastness of his pain and what had seemed to him possible because of it, and he asked himself whether love were not meant for something more than wantonness and child-bearing and the future that closes in death
    ."

Charles Williams, Shadows of Ecstasy

MBTI
    INFX
    Enneagram

I'm about to start the "Outlander" series. A friend of mine really wanted me to watch the show. After one episode, I told myself I needed to read the books instead of watching a condensed version of the story.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    379 sp/sx

Looking to start reading "The Count of Monte Cristo".

My blog

“For his mourners will be outcast men,
    And outcasts always mourn.”

"Ever love someone so much that you'd do anything for them? Make that person yourself and do whatever the hell you want."
    Likes Lark liked this post