User Tag List

First 121171211219220221222223231 Last

Results 2,201 to 2,210 of 2622

I just finished Big Little Lies. And I am so happy that I was wrong with my prediction. I fucking love this book. I love the fact that I actually really cared about the ending. That I cared about the characters and... I love the ending because of that. I love that I want a sequel so bad. The ending. It like... it was so powerful. At least to me. I dont know. Maybe I havent been reading good books lately. I love this book though.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by PalebloodHunter View Post
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. The main character is annoyingly perfect but the book is brilliantly written.
    I've never understood the sentiment regarding Kvothe's perfection. He is, as a person, seriously flawed in his
    arrogance, short-sightedness, narcissism, etc. I actually went into the trilogy expecting him to be perfect since
    that was what everyone was saying, but the more I read the more flaws started to pop up. He may learn quickly
    but I know plenty of people that does, and sometimes there are geniuses. Nonetheless, I eagerly await the third
    installment, but I fail to see how Patrick can wrap it up in a satisfying manner in a single book without hurrying
    the story along -- and in doing so destroying the tempo.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

I'm currently on the fourth book of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. Really love these books,
    but I can't wait for the sixth book when certain characters make a return. The only real flaw of the
    series has to be the fact that he focuses on certain characters with each book. I really grew
    attached to Ganoes and co., only to have to read through two books á 1200 pages to continue his arch.
    Sure, all the other characters are great. But!, some are just better than others.

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by Caoimhin View Post
    I'm currently on the fourth book of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. Really love these books,
    but I can't wait for the sixth book when certain characters make a return. The only real flaw of the
    series has to be the fact that he focuses on certain characters with each book. I really grew
    attached to Ganoes and co., only to have to read through two books á 1200 pages to continue his arch.
    Sure, all the other characters are great. But!, some are just better than others.
    I grew increasingly disappointed as the series progressed. I loved the early books, but had to force myself to finish it. Maybe you will enjoy the later books more than me.
    “Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“It is clear that thought is not free if the profession of certain opinions makes it impossible to earn a living. It is clear also that thought is not free if all the arguments on one side of a controversy are perpetually presented as attractively as possible, while the arguments on the other side can only be discovered by diligent search.”

― Bertrand Russell, Sceptical Essays
    Likes Caoimhin liked this post

ornery ornithologist captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

The Choices We Face by Lyndon Baines Johnson.
    Jarlaxle/Mane: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

ornery ornithologist captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Just finished "The Bat" by Jo Nesbø... and I understand why it wasn't the first Jo Nesbø mystery to be translated into English even though it's the first of the series. "Norwegian guy goes to Australia and learns about Australian culture" seems decidedly less exotic when English is your first language. (Not to mention, I cannot imagine how awkward it must read to actual Australians, especially re: the clumsiness with which the protagonist navigates race politics.)

Excited to move on to book 2 ("Cockroaches") though and then to finishing book 3 ("The Redbreast", which I got halfway through and then got distracted from). The goal is to read all the books up to "The Snowman" so I can be as prepared for the upcoming movie version as possible.

(side note, I'm concerned that Michael Fassbender won't get the humor right. He's definitely intense enough, but I haven't seen that kind of wry, playful snark out of him before.)
    Holy serendipity batman, check your tags. I have most of this series in a prominent place on my shelf, and for good reason.
    Jarlaxle/Mane: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug
    Likes EJCC liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingforPeace View Post
    I grew increasingly disappointed as the series progressed. I loved the early books, but had to force myself to finish it. Maybe you will enjoy the later books more than me.
    I'll just have to hope that it doesn't turn into a Wheel of Time grind in which the author just pours out uninteresting
    content that seem to drag on forever. Then again, I heard that the Wheel of Time grew better towards the end again
    (still haven't finished Wheel of Time due to the interesting character arcs getting too little attention).

I am enjoying 'House of Chains' so far, and I'm about 5/8th of the book in. However, some of the times it can be hard
    to sympathise with the characters in this book. Had no problem with that in previous books.

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by Caoimhin View Post
    I'll just have to hope that it doesn't turn into a Wheel of Time grind in which the author just pours out uninteresting
    content that seem to drag on forever. Then again, I heard that the Wheel of Time grew better towards the end again
    (still haven't finished Wheel of Time due to the interesting character arcs getting too little attention).

I am enjoying 'House of Chains' so far, and I'm about 5/8th of the book in. However, some of the times it can be hard
    to sympathise with the characters in this book. Had no problem with that in previous books.
    The best way to read Wheel of Time is to read the entire series straight through. It has far less unnecessary fluff than the Malazan Book of the Fallen, but has so many characters and plot lines that it gets difficult to follow. If Jordan had kept everything with the original handfull of characters, it would have been better, so it started having too much politics and such.

Unnecessary bloat is unfortunate.
    “Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“It is clear that thought is not free if the profession of certain opinions makes it impossible to earn a living. It is clear also that thought is not free if all the arguments on one side of a controversy are perpetually presented as attractively as possible, while the arguments on the other side can only be discovered by diligent search.”

― Bertrand Russell, Sceptical Essays

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    297 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Fe

"With the Old Breed"

The memoirs of a infantryman fighting in the Pacific during WWII.