• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

Lark

I finished reading Stoner, I have a bunch of books I might read next (always), I have one which is a horror called Ladies Night, which I might read, its short, another, which is a sci fi book, tonight we choose faces, but I dont know if its turning out good, I already put a book by Poul Anderson, a Viking Saga which was not flowing well, called War of The Gods, in the book for the charity shop.

I am still reading Never Eat Alone, although I was also reading The Song of Roland and today I read a couple of pages from a book about "Ninjutsu", probably one of the earliest sources about Ninjitsu, written in the twenties or thirties, and it was interesting, I've got three books by the author and two of the others deal with the topic but also its relation to magic and superstition.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
IRL people tell me that a lot.

That's because rabbits aren't known for laughter, and have sometimes even been known to attack people.

giphy.gif

I'd be particularly afraid of cigarette smoking ones.

Lark

Has anyone created a thread of typology books? Fiction or non-fiction? I'm considering the question of if I had a single book on MBTI, a single book on Enneagram, a single book on socionics, what it would be.

DarkMin

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w1
"The Woman Who Died a Lot" - Jasper Fforde.

These novels (Jasper Fforde's "Thursday Next" series) occupy a strange place in fiction. Astonishingly literate and cleverer than self-cooking beans, Fforde nonetheless dresses his novels as popular fiction, throwing in spadefuls of his favourite literary influences, a savvy understanding of why Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett caught the public imagination, and a healthy dose of cynicism and self-deprecation. The seven existing novels are broken into two series (books 1 - 4, then 5-7) and admittedly the second series is less spontaneous and laugh-out-loud funny than the first, but his work represents something rare - to me, he's one of very few modern authors whose every page is worth consideration.

Lark

I'm reading and enjoying Swastika Night, I think its one of my favourite books, I'm also reading Ernest Becker's The Denial of Death, which is interesting but I feel a bit like I should just skip the author and go to all the books and other authors me mentions repeatedly, and Discontent and Its Civilizations by Mohsin Hamid, I think this guy is a master of the short essay format, its possible to read a chapter a day at least from this book, which I like since I'm reading the other books at the same time.

Jaguar

An American Sickness: How Healthcare Became Big Business and How You Can Take It Back

Lark

An American Sickness: How Healthcare Became Big Business and How You Can Take It Back

Is that any good? I havent even seen the Mike Moore documentary Sicko yet, I'm keen to study how health care works in the US since it is basically what the UK Conservatives have been building up to introducing in the UK, the system has been under funded and politically sabotaged like no ones business for so, so long.

I'm also suspicious that the political elites here in NI would like to privatise it, the unionists because they are hostile to all public spending what so ever, the republicans because they imagine it would some how take them closer to harmonisation with the ROI in one sphere of governance, the cost of the medication upon which I'm dependent is such that I'd suffer dire consequences if I had to self fund, I'm conflicted about that because on the one hand I definitely want to avoid a situation in which basically privatised services would just hamstring me but on the other I know that I'm a responsible NHS service user, there are a lot who are not, the system is abused by elites exploiting it for money and status at one end and medication scammers and the black market in prescription meds at the other.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been working through Primo Levi's Se questo è un uomo for the sake of practicing my Italian but since it's been going very slowly, I zipped through the English translation (If This Is a Man/Survival in Auschwitz) because I couldn't wait to find out how things went. :(

Then I decided to binge read Hannah Arendt's Eichmann in Jerusalem on the sixteen-hour plane ride from India to the US. Fuck me, it's depressing. I don't understand though why so many people were down on Arendt for this book. The idea of an ordinary individual following through with a horrific genocidal program because of personal ambition, elevation of obedience as the highest virtue, and a shattering incapacity for original speech and thought seems to me to be both more horrifying and more compelling than the notion that he must have been a racist, psychopathic monster.

Then again, it's not my struggle and not my pain so perhaps I am not in the position to make judgments on the issue.

Lark

I've been working through Primo Levi's Se questo è un uomo for the sake of practicing my Italian but since it's been going very slowly, I zipped through the English translation (If This Is a Man/Survival in Auschwitz) because I couldn't wait to find out how things went. :(

Then I decided to binge read Hannah Arendt's Eichmann in Jerusalem on the sixteen-hour plane ride from India to the US. Fuck me, it's depressing. I don't understand though why so many people were down on Arendt for this book. The idea of an ordinary individual following through with a horrific genocidal program because of personal ambition, elevation of obedience as the highest virtue, and a shattering incapacity for original speech and thought seems to me to be both more horrifying and more compelling than the notion that he must have been a racist, psychopathic monster.

Then again, it's not my struggle and not my pain so perhaps I am not in the position to make judgments on the issue.

I like that book, others which are similar to it too, because any time I was a victim of a serious crime or incident it was because of this precise thing, the banality of evil, thugs, psychos, the obviously evil or wicked, of course no one falls afoul of them, you see the coming a mile off and its why when the average person reads about them they've made it their purpose to prey upon the extra unwary and unsuspecting, but the real evil is done by people no one would suspect and they are usually the guys who get away with it for as long as they want pretty much.

In relation to Eichmann, I think people wanted the Nazis to be all super villainous, the fact that he didnt fit the stereotype made it pretty clear that "it could happen here", "it could be my neighbour", if you want to read about this occuring again and again you should read about what happened in Bosnia and the Balkans, there's some incredible stories there, men and women just up and organising militias murdering their neighbours who they had been a short time before borrowing lawn mowers from or stuff like that, there was someone who killed people using a saw from their garage, it made me think about the accounts of "Hitler's willing executioners" people who had murdered jewish neighbours long before invading Nazis could get to them or order them to do so, those stories too, man, choosing the side of the aggressor for purposes of survival? It doesnt cover it all or explain it all at all.

I've read a lot about this topic, at different junctions in my life I've felt this "fight evil, fight oppression" thing within, its made me do more than my fair share of "gazing into the abyss" and I know the whole of the quote, it does look back into you when you do that. I do think its possible to hunt monsters without becoming one though.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Im reading a few ATM im reading both the LoTR series (Just finishing off The Fellowship and the first Dune novel)

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Chemistry by Weineke Wang. A very mediocre novel about an inter-racial relationship between a great guy and a messed up girl. I don't recommend it because there is one anti-cat comment in it.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn...hadn't read anything of hers before this past week but then read The Grownup and liked it so i decided to try a full length book of hers...couldn't do Gone Girl because i saw the movie...so far, so good...not my normal genre but I'm enjoying it