• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tim Tebow

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
It's this kind of shallow mocking, with just a bit of actual venom attached, that does nothing to improve our national discourse.
LOL, look at it this way:

The Twins got Torii Hunter's best years. The Angels are paying him $18.5 million a year to suck.
The Blue Jays got Vernon Wells' best years. The Angels are paying him $21 million a year to suck.
The Phillies got Bobby Abreu's best years. The Angels are paying him $9 million a year to suck.
The Cardinals got Albert Pujol$' best years. The Angels are paying him $25.4+ million a year to continue to decline.

What I see is an organization desperately trying to be like the Yankees and Red Sox, but continually making bad choices. If I was the Angels GM and I felt I needed to get a first baseman, I would have traded for Joey Votto. But I guess that's where we differ. The Angels care more about PR and less about actually winning baseball games.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
LOL, look at it this way:

The Twins got Torii Hunter's best years. The Angels are paying him $18.5 million a year to suck.
The Blue Jays got Vernon Wells' best years. The Angels are paying him $21 million a year to suck.
The Phillies got Bobby Abreu's best years. The Angels are paying him $9 million a year to suck.
The Cardinals got Albert Pujol$' best years. The Angels are paying him $25.4+ million a year to continue to decline.

What I see is an organization desperately trying to be like the Yankees and Red Sox, but continually making bad choices. If I was the Angels GM and I felt I needed to get a first baseman, I would have traded for Joey Votto.

Well, I wasn't talking about baseball, but I definitely agree about the Vernon Wells contract.

I don't feel as strongly about the Torii Hunter and Abreu contracts.

And we'll see about the Pujols contract, based on the team's success (competitive and financial) over the next 4-5 years.

ETA, for your additional comments (and a reminder, this thread is about Tim Tebow, not baseball):

But I guess that's where we differ. The Angels care more about PR and less about actually winning baseball games.

Tertiary Te. So bitter.

Well, how much you're paying a guy doesn't matter as much when you're signing huge TV deals.

And we'll see about their winning and your magical crystal ball over the next few seasons.

For now, I'm just thinking about which days I want to go out to an ol' ballgame.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Well, I wasn't talking about baseball, but I definitely agree about the Vernon Wells contract.

I don't feel as strongly about the Torii Hunter and Abreu contracts.

And we'll see about the Pujols contract, based on the team's success (competitive and financial) over the next 4-5 years.

ETA, for your additional comments (and a reminder, this thread is about Tim Tebow, not baseball):

Tertiary Te. So bitter.

Well, how much you're paying a guy doesn't matter as much when you're signing huge TV deals.

And we'll see about their winning and your magical crystal ball over the next few seasons...
You're right I'm bitter. But as I said earlier, it's an emotional response (I'm human, not a robot). It will fade. The Cardinals will continue to win titles. The Angels will continue to be the Angels.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Sent to me this morning:

Tom Brady, after living a full life, died. When he got to heaven, God
was showing him around. They came to a modest little house with a faded
Patriots flag in the window. "This house is yours for eternity Tom, said
God. "This is very special; not everyone gets a house up here." Tom felt
special, indeed, and walked up to his house.

On his way up the porch, he noticed another house just around the
corner. It was a huge 3-story mansion with Orange and Blue sidewalks and
drive ways, a 50 foot tall flagpole with an enormous Broncos logo flag
waving, a swimming pool in shape of a horse, a Broncos logo in every
window, and a Tim Tebow jersey on the front door.

Tom looked at God and said "God, I'm not trying to be ungrateful, but I
have a question. I was an all-pro QB, I won 3 Super Bowls, and I even
went to the Hall of Fame."

God said "So what's your point Tom?"

"Well, why does Tim Tebow get a better house than me?"

God chuckled, and said "Tom, that's not Tim's house, it's mine."

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
I've got nothing against Tebow. So far, he seems like a genuinely good person.

But not all "Christian" professional athletes are like Tebow. Most are more like Albert Pujol$, who told Cardinals fans that God told him to go sign with the Angels, who just happened to offer him the most money. Pujol$ says it's not about the money, he was just being obedient to the ultimate authority. Therefore, if you're questioning Pujol$, you are questioning God.

To be fair, the Marlins offered him even more money, and he probably just meant that he thinks God told him it was the right decision for him and his family.

But yeah, it was incredibly annoying for him to go there (and that's coming from a Braves fan); the decision seems to be based on personal pride more than anything else.

I guess the question for the Angels is whether they can really afford to spend money like the Yankees and Red Sox; if yes, it was a good deal for them (he should still be a pretty good DH even at 42, so its all about his effect on the overall team salary down the road).

As for Tebow, I don't really have an opinion one way or another (I'm one of those annoying one-sport guys), but he would be hard-pressed to be as annoying as some of his detractors (like that Rabbi who's afraid Tebow fans will go around assaulting Jews and burning mosques if his team loses).

MBTI Type
INTJ
You're right I'm bitter. But as I said earlier, it's an emotional response (I'm human, not a robot). It will fade. The Cardinals will continue to win titles. The Angels will continue to be the Angels.

Well, I don't know about that. I said earlier that losing Pujols is probably a net good for the Cards, but that doesn't mean acquiring Pujols isn't a net good for the Angels. He will sell tickets in a park that doesn't sell out consistently the way Busch does - that's one advantage of signing Pujols for the Angels that means nothing to the Cards. It also fills the Angels' glaring need for bats, a need that is not present in St. Louis. Finally, it will likely only adversely affect the Angels' payroll while Pujols is still worth that salary. Vernon Wells' $21 million comes off the books after the 2014 season, nearly offsetting Pujols' salary after that. And I don't think it's a stretch to say that the Angels will find a more efficient use of that $21 million after Wells is gone.

It might be that this is a deal like the Chris Paul trade, where one team comes out better after losing the superstar, and the other team comes out better after acquiring the superstar (even if the cost isn't strictly speaking worth it).

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I've got nothing against Tebow. So far, he seems like a genuinely good person.

But not all "Christian" professional athletes are like Tebow. Most are more like Albert Pujol$, who told Cardinals fans that God told him to go sign with the Angels, who just happened to offer him the most money. Pujol$ says it's not about the money, he was just being obedient to the ultimate authority. Therefore, if you're questioning Pujol$, you are questioning God.

Ndamukong Suh's also claimed God after he Riverdanced on that guy's head on TG.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
To be fair, the Marlins offered him even more money, and he probably just meant that he thinks God told him it was the right decision for him and his family.
The Marlins have denied claims that they offered more money than the Angels. That offer was supposedly a rumor started by Dan Lozano (Pujols' agent).

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Well, I don't know about that. I said earlier that losing Pujols is probably a net good for the Cards, but that doesn't mean acquiring Pujols isn't a net good for the Angels. He will sell tickets in a park that doesn't sell out consistently the way Busch does - that's one advantage of signing Pujols for the Angels that means nothing to the Cards. It also fills the Angels' glaring need for bats, a need that is not present in St. Louis. Finally, it will likely only adversely affect the Angels' payroll while Pujols is still worth that salary. Vernon Wells' $21 million comes off the books after the 2014 season, nearly offsetting Pujols' salary after that. And I don't think it's a stretch to say that the Angels will find a more efficient use of that $21 million after Wells is gone.

It might be that this is a deal like the Chris Paul trade, where one team comes out better after losing the superstar, and the other team comes out better after acquiring the superstar (even if the cost isn't strictly speaking worth it).
Maybe, but I want Pujols to suffer. I want him to watch Carpenter, Wainwright, and Molina win another title while he's watching it on TV, sitting next to Nyjer Morgan.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
The Marlins have denied claims that they offered more money than the Angels. That offer was supposedly a rumor started by Dan Lozano (Pujols' agent).

If so, things are looking even worse for Pujols, reputation wise.

Look on the bright side; at least the Cardinals seem to be making preparations for next season ( C'mon Braves, let's at least get a utility infielder before we have to settle for Betancourt...please!?)/

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
If so, things are looking even worse for Pujols, reputation wise.

Look on the bright side; at least the Cardinals seem to be making preparations for next season ( C'mon Braves, let's at least get a utility infielder before we have to settle for Betancourt...please!?)/
The Braves need a lot more than a utility infielder. I would think they'd be interested in a player like Yoenis Cespedes. I think he's less of a risk than Carlos Beltran, even if you're looking at a 5 year vs a 3 year contract.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
And on the 7th [game], God rested.

:laugh:

Hey, nobody said he was never gunna lose again.

Frankly, I expected them to lose to the Patriots...

In fact, I expected them to lose a lot of those games...

That's what was so ridiculously exciting about that run.

And in a week when the Colts win and the Packers lose...

...does the Broncos losing to the Patriots really seem that extraordinary?

The Ravens getting blown out by the Chargers was a lot more surprising than that.

p.s. sorry about your rapist quarterback getting picked off three times...

:whistling:

[2/30]

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
The Braves need a lot more than a utility infielder. I would think they'd be interested in a player like Yoenis Cespedes. I think he's less of a risk than Carlos Beltran, even if you're looking at a 5 year vs a 3 year contract.

That would be nice (especially if Heyward and Prado don't recover from bad seasons), but the Braves ownership is comprised of cheap bastards right now-I'm thinking that any major change this off-season would come by way of trade. They do have the money for a utility infielder to back-up Pastornicky and Chipper, but they seem to be dragging their feet on the matter (at least the Royals just took Betancourt off the market).

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Elway (Among Others) Is Turning The Corner

In an interview with The Associated Press, Elway gave his strongest indication yet that he believes Tebow can morph from a scrambling quarterback into a pocket passer, which suggests he won't be spending a high draft pick on another QB in April.

"Tim Tebow's not going anywhere," Elway said. "I mean, he's going to be a Bronco and we're going to do everything we can and hopefully he's that guy."

Elway, who led Denver to five Super Bowls and two titles during his playing career, reiterated his intention to work with Tebow during the offseason, something he couldn't do last offseason because of the NFL lockout.

It's the latest example of Elway's efforts to resurrect a franchise that has mostly foundered since he retired in 1999, shortly after winning his second straight Super Bowl.

The AFC West-leading Broncos (8-6), who have already doubled their win total from last year, are relevant again under their new chief of football operations, who wasted no time in putting his mark back on the organization.

In short order, Elway empowered general manager Brian Xanders, hired coach John Fox, intercepted star cornerback Champ Bailey on his way out of town, lured tailback Willis McGahee to Denver, re-signed kicker Matt Prater, drafted pass-rusher Von Miller, traded receiver Brandon Lloyd and endorsed the quarterback switch that put Tebow on the field and Kyle Orton on the waiver wire.

After starting the season in the middle of the Andrew Luck sweepstakes talk, the Broncos are instead shooting for their first playoff berth since the 2005 season behind Tebow, who's won seven of his nine starts, four of them via the kind of fourth-quarter comebacks that marked Elway's storied career.

Elway brought back a winning attitude, and his management style, in which he seeks input from those around him, has changed the culture at Dove Valley from the autocratic regimes of McDaniels and, before him, Mike Shanahan.

"I think that if you look at where we were a year ago at this time, it was probably the lowest point in Pat's ownership," Elway said, referring to owner Pat Bowlen. "One of the things that we thought was everybody needed kind of a little bit of football rehab. I mean, you're 6-22, there's a negative feeling about football. That's why John (Fox) was a perfect fit for us, because of his enthusiasm, his energy."

Elway needed to learn the ropes of being an NFL executive, so he has constantly sought others' advice in steering the Broncos while giving his colleagues more say, especially on personnel matters.

"I've always felt the more input you have, the more discussions you have on certain things, the chances are you're going to make the right decisions," Elway said. "And I think the culture now is it's not only teamwork downstairs but it's teamwork upstairs, too."

One of the first things Elway did was reach out to Bailey, the perennial Pro Bowl cornerback who was headed for unrestricted free agency after McDaniels had pulled an extension offer off the table just as he was about to sign it last season.

Elway said he doesn't think Denver's defensive turnaround would have been possible without Bailey, who's provided stellar play, locker room leadership and stability to a team with its sixth defensive coordinator in six seasons.

To the surprise of many, Elway, the greatest offensive player in franchise history, believed the blueprint for winning again was to focus on defense. Trying to outpace everyone just wasn't going to work, he said.

"I think that you have to have a special guy to outscore everybody, and if you look at where we were with Kyle, we didn't have the Tom Bradys or the Peyton Mannings or the Drew Breeses, those are the guys that outscore everybody, and there's three or four of those guys in the league and they're very difficult to find," Elway said.

He said he didn't want to overburden Tebow, who was being groomed for his shot under center.

"The best way for Tim to develop was to be good on the defensive side and take our time with him on the offensive side," Elway said. "And that wouldn't dump all the pressure on him and say, 'Here you go, in your second year you need to go out and score 35 points a game.'

"And then I also thought, having gone to the games, that we had lost a lot of the home-field advantage, and I remember that when I played here, we had a great home-field advantage. But it was usually because we were so good on defense."

As for Orton, Elway sympathized with him for being under the microscope with so many No. 15 jerseys in the crowd and a city clamoring for Tebow even when things were going well.

Elway tried to deal Orton as soon as the lockout ended, but he couldn't find a trade partner and Orton won the starting job in camp with his firm grasp of the offense, precise passing and good decision-making. Those traits suddenly abandoned him during the Broncos' 1-4 start, leading to his benching and eventual release.

Orton was claimed by Kansas City, saving the Broncos about $2.5 million, but Orton will get the chance to beat his old team when the Chiefs visit Denver for the regular season finale.

Elway said one of his biggest challenges has been adjusting to the 24/7 news cycle fed by social media and he again expressed remorse for a comment he made last month on his weekly radio show that was misconstrued as criticism of Tebow.

After Tebow had improved to 4-1 as the starter, host Gary Miller asked Elway on 102.3 FM in Denver if he was "any closer to feeling if you have your quarterback on this team?" Elway paused and answered, "No." He then pointed out that Tebow had to do better on third downs and improve as a passer.

"I think that comment was probably a little bit too blunt," Elway said. "Because I think the big picture with Tim is we've got to see the whole body of work. And so really what you want to see with him is the improvement that's going to happen over time.

"Because, he's done what we knew he could do and where we've seen his progress is what he does within the pocket. What we've said, and I said it when I first got here, was we know Tim's a great player and what we've got to do is make him a great quarterback, and what I've learned is you've got to be able to win from within the pocket."

Tebow has indeed begun showing improvement in the pocket over the last few weeks as he gets more playing time and offensive coordinator Mike McCoy adds more plays to his menu.

Tebow's famous work ethic will help him hone his craft, said Elway, who seems to be rooting for him as much as the quarterback's legions of fans.

"We want it to happen because of the competitor he is and what type of person he is and how he represents not only himself but represents the Broncos and the city," Elway said. "People have been watching him, so he's a draw. But that's where some time in the offseason (helps) and it comes down to timing and throwing.

"Do I think he'll get there? Yeah, I do."

[5/30]

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Christianity is always being badmouthed by the secular media. I mean the assholes are just lampooning the poor guy at every turn...

Psht.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know, a Christian could never get elected President in this country.

I know, it's horrible -- I'm sick of the atheists running the country and controlling both parties.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Don't forget about the Jews running the media.