• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sunshine

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
It just got a 7.3 on IMDB?? Should have got an 8 at least.

This movie is emotional and intense beyond belief. I put extra brain cells from the beginning just to keep up with the tension running in my mind.

Following the disaster of Icarus I seven years earlier a second team on Icarus II is sent to the Sun to save a part of it from dying by reigniting it with a mini-supernova; and thus save mankind from instinction. But things go wrong.

--- ---

I'm abit lost on one fact. Was it Pinbacker (the monster) whom infiltrated Icarus II and sabotaged it after Icarus II docked with Icarus I at Mercury? How did he get into Icarus II?

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
[Icarus II's big decision.]

For everyone who have watched the movie.

What would your decision be? Would you change course from the intended mission plan to intercept Icarus I at Mercury? How would you handle the decision of the group?

Big question.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I dunno, I thought it was kinda boring.

In terms of independent British-made space movies, I much preferred Moon. Some fantastic old-school miniature work in that film, there was.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
[Sunshine - The Surface of the Sun.]

--- ---

I found it quite boring the minute I changed the channel and was on the Third Act of the film.

Until by coincidence I notice Chris Evans [The Human Torch from Fantastic Four] is in it and so is Cillian Murphy [Scarecrow from Batman Begins and The Dark Knight].

I watched the whole film a few weeks later and my conclusion...
This movie is emotional and intense beyond belief. I put extra brain cells from the beginning just to keep up with the tension running in my mind.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
[*Spoilers*]

Movie Spoilers.

---

---

There you go. I did every thing for you. Idiots.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I thought the film was awesome, though I will agree with reviewers that the cheesy-horror-flick-esque ending was a little inconsistent with the tone of the rest of the film. In any case I never found it boring.

I'm abit lost on one fact. Was it Pinbacker (the monster) whom infiltrated Icarus II and sabotaged it after Icarus II docked with Icarus I at Mercury? How did he get into Icarus II?

Yeah, I'm guessing that he sneaked onto Icarus II while it was docked with Icarus I and then blew the docking bay so that everyone would be stranded on Icarus I.

For everyone who have watched the movie.

What would your decision be? Would you change course from the intended mission plan to intercept Icarus I at Mercury? How would you handle the decision of the group?

Big question.

I would have never voted to go off course (and I'm not just saying that as a matter of hindsight decision-making, either.) The first time I watched the film I was feeling very frustrated that they chose to do so. Way too many risks for too little benefit.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, I'm guessing that he sneaked onto Icarus II while it was docked with Icarus I and then blew the docking bay so that everyone would be stranded on Icarus I.

How could he have blown the docking bay? Were there any explosives on board? That's what I don't get.

I have to watch that scene again.

I would have never voted to go off course (and I'm not just saying that as a matter of hindsight decision-making, either.) The first time I watched the film I was feeling very frustrated that they chose to do so. Way too many risks for too little benefit.

Me too.

It was originally a unanimous decision from Mace's suggestion that the mission go as intendedly planned.

From which point the decision was finalized.

Personally, I would have listened to what Capa suggested, think the situation through and decide that despite the fact that there is one other payload on that stranded ship there is no guarantee that that ship operates as to use the payload. Because, yes, there is too much risk for too little benefit to go outside the intended mission plan. We should deliver the payload we already have and hope it detonates successfully.

The stranded Icarus I about Mercury won't be going anywhere. It would only be a matter of months until we finally reach it. We could easily dock with it after completing the intended mission plan and then decide if we can use the extra payload if the original one had failed. There would be nothing to lose by now.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Aww, I thought this thread was going to be about me. :(

This movie is emotional and intense beyond belief.

Well I know what I'm watching now. :happy2:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sunshine's actually one of my favorite movies ever and I rewatch it every so often. I'm not sure why quasi-supernatural element bothers some viewers. I just read it as a surreal blurring of reality and it's not saying anything either way, it's about the subjective experience of being so close to the sun (so the magnetic fields wreak havoc on judgment), on such a potentially deadly mission, far away from other humans, etc. Note that both the captain and the ship psychologist also have this weird fascination with the sun as well, it becomes at least partially a mystic experience.

Capa just rocks. Yes, he's a flawed character like all the others, but just that perfect mix of truth + beauty in terms of how he perceives the world, the science and exploring the boundaries of understanding in terms of pure physics becomes a religious/spiritual experience in itself. It's one of the closest characters in a movie that sees the world in the way I do, that whole ending sequence is wonderful.

From terms of logic, i also love the multiple tracks of logic presented, from all different angles. Everyone's values and thinking is so clearly delineated.

Orangey's answer to the old question there about Pinbacker -- yeah, that's what happens. he jumps to the Icarus II and blows the docking hatch to strand who he could, then proceeds to do what he can to keep humanity in its place (and on the path to its foreordained demise).

Anyway, I find the characters interesting, the decisions make sense, the overall tone and ambiance of the movie is appealing to me, and it actually has transcendent elements and a kind of bittersweet ending.

I think the only thing that threw me a little was when they go on the Icarus I and there are these single frames of the crew there that went missing. I had no idea what was going on for a little bit with that, since it happens nowhere else in the movie.

Oh, and it was kind of hilarious to see Cillian Murphy and Chris Evans going at it... twice. The second time was even funnier as they both needed to just get things out of their system, while the two female crew members just watch in disgust and are like, "When you guys are ready to grow up, stop wasting oxygen and let's get back to business." Because Capa's really not a Type A personality at all, even if Mace is more aggressive.

But again, in Mace's favor, whatever disagreements he has with Capa and whatever he blames him for, he doesn't hold that against him when it comes to accomplishing the mission. Mace is firmly dedicated to doing the job he signed up to do, regardless of who survives and who does not.

Been listening to the soundtrack of this.

I actually really like the soundtrack, but the composer pulls a James Horner and keeps cribbing it for his other movies (the scene where Capa is trying to escape the Icarus in the spacesuit and falls over -- that cue is used in at least 2-3 other movies by him, including the opening sequence in 28 Weeks Later, for example).

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I actually really like the soundtrack, but the composer pulls a James Horner and keeps cribbing it for his other movies (the scene where Capa is trying to escape the Icarus in the spacesuit and falls over -- that cue is used in at least 2-3 other movies by him, including the opening sequence in 28 Weeks Later, for example).

Skip the few first minutes...

But I'm really bad with the tunes, so I might be hearing wrong. Nevertheless, it's/these are awesome.