• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your Most Anticipated Movies of 2011/2012

Lark

It doesnt feel like there's been a big movie event in a long time, used to be you'd associate an entire year with being the year that a particular movie was released, there's be TV shows and card collecting or sticker books and stickers and gum and all sorts of merchandising, maybe a spin off TV series or animation series, video games etc.

The last time I remember it was Tim Burton's Batman, although I remember it happening with Star Wars, Dune and Indiana Jones too.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It doesnt feel like there's been a big movie event in a long time, used to be you'd associate an entire year with being the year that a particular movie was released, there's be TV shows and card collecting or sticker books and stickers and gum and all sorts of merchandising, maybe a spin off TV series or animation series, video games etc.

I would say the closet we've come in the US to that over the last ten years has been the Star Wars second set of movies (a number of years back), The Lord of the Rings, and most recently, the final few movies of Harry Potter.

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
I care little for the popular movie industry now. I've been planning to watch more indie movies but I just haven't got around to it.

The best contemporary movie I've seen is No Country for Old Men. I really can't get over how amazing it is.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Gavin Hood is directing, and a few of the actors from Hugo (Kingsley + the boy) are in it.

Maybe I should finally read the book now.

Also the director of Wolverine. Oh well, it'll be crap. And it's tentatively scheduled for 2013 now. And the fact that good actors like Kingsley and that kid were in it is another reason the film will be bad, not because they're bad actors, but because some filmmakers think they can save a shitty movie with good actors. Harrison Ford is also rumored to be in it.

The other day, I saw a trailer for Wrath of the Titans. I didn't like the Clash of the Titans remake, so I have low expectations for the sequel, which is from the director of Darkness Falls and Battle: Los Angeles (the latter film I especially despised), and therefore isn't increasing my expectations any.

Still the effects and character animation look good, so I'll probably end up seeing it, probably in 2D, where all the color of the image is preserved.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I saw the Clash of the Titans remake (it had Sam whassisname in it, the Aussie guy from Avatar, right?). I found it boring.... not great, for an action picture. You can have all the action in the world, but if the story is flat, it's not going to hold people. So I have little interest in further parts of the franchise.

3D is overrated, especially with the color wash-out. 2D still has a lot to offer.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dark Knight Rises and Moonrise Kingdom (Wes Anderson). I'm on the fence about The Hobbit.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The Raven March 9th 2012
Mirror Mirror March 16th 2012
Dark Shadows May 11th 2012
Prometheus June 8th 2012
The Hobbit Dec 14th 2012

If they come about- Resident Evil 5, Frankenweenie

:cough: and some chick flicks :unsure:

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
The Avengers
The Hobbit
Batman 3

In that order. I'm a man who likes his super-heroes and medieval fantasy.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the Battleship movie is starting to look pretty cool, as well.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm thinking of going out to see Haywire this weekend. It's gotta be better than Underworld.

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm a HUGE fan of Julianne Moore. Anyone knows if there's an upcoming movie from her?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I saw Hugo 3D in the theater.

Speaking only for myself, it was in that class of movie that I immediately perceived as excellently acted, directed, designed, etc -- I knew I was in the presence of something very special in terms of quality, and if it wins awards, it deserves them -- and yet I have no interest in ever watching it again. For me it was worth seeing once, but that was all.

Agreed.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a HUGE fan of Julianne Moore. Anyone knows if there's an upcoming movie from her?

Currently scheduled for 2012:
Being Flynn
The English Teacher
What Maisie Knew
Game Change

last thing i saw her in was Crazy Stupid Love... what a great movie!

Update: I did see Haywire. I enjoyed it more than MI4, but it was kind of flat... and another one of those movies I didn't really enjoy enough to buy and/or watch again. In its favor, though, the fighting I think was more "realistic" than some action pics; this is how people would fight to kill. Reminds me of David Morrell's books (such as The Brotherhood of the Rose)... there's a difference between glamorized fighting, street fighting, and fighting to kill. The lead did have a bit of magnetism -- she was pretty but in a rugged/sturdy way, it was entirely believable that she could hold her own against the people coming at her, she was intimidating that way. (It was fun to see her kick Michael Fassbender's butt, too. It was as decent slugfest and how things would likely play out.) Big shift here, Bill Paxton playing an understated role as her dad; I've never seen him actually look this old before.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How dare you like that film!

:cry: *hides head in shame*

... I'm sorry, they had me with Steve Carrell throwing himself out of a moving vehicle just to win an argument with his spouse.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Currently scheduled for 2012:
Being Flynn
The English Teacher
What Maisie Knew
Game Change

last thing i saw her in was Crazy Stupid Love... what a great movie!

The English Teacher, ironically enough, sounds like a foreign film.