• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What do you hate about Anime?

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Poor animation drives me crazy. I get that slower frame rates are easier and cheaper to produce, but it looks terrible.

Also, I agree with all the statements regarding English dubbing. A bad dub can ruin a good anime. I don't know why, but the English voice directors often cast the most inappropriate voices for the characters, especially if they're kids. I absolutely hate hearing a blatantly obvious ADULT voice coming out of a little kid.

Raffaella

bon vivant
You could try Makoto Shinkai's films. :D His movies have incredible graphics and they're not dialogue-heavy. I like them but my ISFP bestie personally doesn't because the stories aren't very complex. But if you want a cute short story with flawless art design, Makoto Shinkai is as good as it gets.
The subbed definitely beats the dubbed in this case. Without spoiling too much, there's a crying scene and the English version totally drops the ball on that.

Words can not describe how much I love Shinkai's work- he's the Wong Kar-wai of anime. His films are rich and emotive with beautiful cinematography, they capture love, heartache and depression better than most hollywood films.Garden of Words was near perfection, in my eyes (5cm/s is perfection), everything I want in an anime.

I wasn't aware of the crying scene in the english version because I watched the sub version... it gives me more reason to avoid dub.

tumblr_nh5wd03qEH1s89xyho2_1280.png

tumblr_nh5wd03qEH1s89xyho1_1280.png

:wubbie:

Now, I want to read Manga.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm so glad this thread exists.

My grievances (most of which are just tropes):

CGI. Too much contemporary anime looks like it was created primarily with the photoshop paint bucket tool. This trend spits in the face of what I used to love most about the genre:

Death_Note.jpg

Too much smugness. "You shall not defeat me, Kato-San, for although I look 15 and spend two hours every morning in front of the mirror making my hair and outfit perfect while practicing my 'cool-guy lean,' I am actually a highly trained and arrogant badass." :bored:

Too many women being portrayed as meek and dainty ISFJs, or obnoxious ESTJs.

Too much amnesia.

Sulking.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That weird gasping noise whenever someone is surprised or realizes something terrible. It's featured in literally every anime and sounds like someone being pleasured, but trying their hardest to muffle their lustful moans.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't really get I to fantasy in general. I think that's a major reason I don't "get" anime. I don't hate it, but I definitely feel like I don't understand it and I don't want to.

I like fantasy, but my favorite shows are not fantasy :p. I think you might really love 'Whisper of the Heart', it's just about a couple of kids with their own separate dreams who fall in love. It's incredibly engaging. There's not much to have to understand. :)

Actually, it's the every-day-life shows that I enjoy the most because I pick up on Japanese traditions, cultural events and differences. It's the main reason I watch Japanese cartoons.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That weird gasping noise whenever someone is surprised or realizes something terrible. It's featured in literally every anime and sounds like someone being pleasured, but trying their hardest to muffle their lustful moans.
So true. Futurama spoofed the whole excessive gasping thing in their anime episode.

Passacaglia

Basically it exists because I want to bitch about excessive fanservice. This includes lots of unecessary upskirt shots, Gainaxing (exaggurated breast physics), and creepy underage girl situations.
...And to think I've been calling them 'watermelon boobs.' :D Anyhow, agreed. 'Everything in moderation' is an adage that much of anime doesn't seem to have learned yet.

Great thread, btw! I was just thinking of starting a 'Let's talk about anime' thread. Wish I had been a member when you started this one.

Oh, also excessive flashbacks in an espisode. Some series will do several minutes of 'flashbacks' before the show starts, some of which are from the previous episode. Oh, and also summary episodes, I hate those. I end up watching them in case they're going to introduce something new, but only do that often enough to make me vulnerably hopeful.

Recap episodes and narration with clips from the previous episode at the beginning.

- Animes that could have ended many times, but they just keep going (Inuyasha, Naruto, Bleach)
Oh, so QFT! Too many animes move way too sloooooooooooooooooooooow.

I don't really get I to fantasy in general. I think that's a major reason I don't "get" anime. I don't hate it, but I definitely feel like I don't understand it and I don't want to.
:shocking: Fantasy and sci-fi are half the reason I watch anime! I can't even imagine what it means to 'not get' fantasy...I guess it must be something like how I don't see the appeal of watching other people play sports.

The persistent dub vs sub issue. Do I sit through poor sound synchronisation or read the subtitles? This especially frustrating when the anime is known for its graphics.
I prefer subs as a rule for two reasons: 1) I get a disproportionately large amount of amusement hearing words that got yanked directly from the English lexicon spoken with a Japanese accent, and 2) if I generally like the anime but find the voices/music/sound effects annoying I can mute my sound and still know what's going on.

Passacaglia

For my own contribution to the thread, I hate chibi mini-scenes and those brief departures from elegant animation that happen when a character's eyes go all crazy from getting bonked on the head, or when a character's nose spontaneously gushes blood because he accidentally saw naked boobs, or whatever.

Basically, I watch anime because I like...well, good anime artwork, not because I want to watch the Japanese equivalent of Saturday morning cartoons.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I prefer subs as a rule for two reasons: 1) I get a disproportionately large amount of amusement hearing words that got yanked directly from the English lexicon spoken with a Japanese accent, and 2) if I generally like the anime but find the voices/music/sound effects annoying I can mute my sound and still know what's going on.

Oh, yeah. I get a huge kick out of watching the sub of a dub. I think it was most enlightening when I learned, on amatuer subs, that the the most foul insults translated into English was just saying 'you' to somebody in Japanese in an over familiar way.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Basically, I watch anime because I like...well, good anime artwork, not because I want to watch the Japanese equivalent of Saturday morning cartoons.
Did you ever see Moribito? That series had great animation, a cool story and setting, and a pretty kickass female protagonist.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Just because this seems to be more of a discussion/criticisms thread than an outright hate thread (which I love) one thing I love about anime is that THE SOUNDTRACKS WENT IN

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
the style of animation... ESPECIALLY THE EYES... dear god, I hate anime eyes and the way that they just stare at me like those of a cold, dead deer beside the highway :unsure:

can't get into it or even look at the books for more than a few seconds because the eyes are staring at me :ninja:

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
there are some good stories embedded in anime, good tales, for reflecting on.

that being said I can't stand Dragon Ball Z because I can't tell what the hell is going on due to the insane amount of camera cuts, angles, and seizure like displace of rotating images.

Passacaglia

Oh, yeah. I get a huge kick out of watching the sub of a dub. I think it was most enlightening when I learned, on amatuer subs, that the the most foul insults translated into English was just saying 'you' to somebody in Japanese in an over familiar way.
That's amazing! I'm imagining a sub that reads "How dare you call me 'u'?! I am your superior, and you will address me as 'you'!" :mad:

Passacaglia

Did you ever see Moribito? That series had great animation, a cool story and setting, and a pretty kickass female protagonist.
I usually go for darker series, but yeah, Moribito was awesome before 300 made spears cool!

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not sure how to describe it exactly. Fan-service?

While Avatar:TLA and Avatar:TLK are western cartoons, one can get to what I am talking about pretty quickly (if anyone asks, I did finish the TLK.)

There are a few that I loved watching for enjoyment that has stuck into my mind.

Natsume Yuujinchou

Seirei no Moribito

Kemono no Souja Erin <-------- great for most ages, there are some graphical pieces that are stylized where some parents might find objectionable. There are SOME recap episodes.

there are some good stories embedded in anime, good tales, for reflecting on.

that being said I can't stand Dragon Ball Z because I can't tell what the hell is going on due to the insane amount of camera cuts, angles, and seizure like displace of rotating images.

The weird thing about the English version of the Dragonball series is that the American version tries very hard to make the series all hardcore and serious. I grew up watching Dragonball (Original/Z/GT) in other languages and the two that I've watched them in were pretty comedic compared to the English version.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm not sure how to describe it exactly. Fan-service?

While Avatar:TLA and Avatar:TLK are western cartoons, one can get to what I am talking about pretty quickly (if anyone asks, I did finish the TLK.)

There are a few that I loved watching for enjoyment that has stuck into my mind.

Natsume Yuujinchou

Seirei no Moribito

Kemono no Souja Erin <-------- great for most ages, there are some graphical pieces that are stylized where some parents might find objectionable. There are SOME recap episodes.

The weird thing about the English version of the Dragonball series is that the American version tries very hard to make the series all hardcore and serious. I grew up watching Dragonball (Original/Z/GT) in other languages and the two that I've watched them in were pretty comedic compared to the English version.

I like the one with the Titans on adult cartoon network. That was is pretty awesome...only seen one though, where the small dude becomes a titan.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like the one with the Titans on adult cartoon network. That was is pretty awesome...only seen one though, where the small dude becomes a titan.
Do you mean Attack on Titan? That show is messed UP. For some reason I'm okay with monsters or dinosaurs or aliens eating people, but... creepily disproportionate humanoids eating people? I haven't been that freaked out by an anime since AKIRA.

Passacaglia

Oh hell yeah, the titans are scary, and the show's basic premise is very compelling! The downer for me was the slow pace and all the shoutiness; I made it through the first season, barely, and my final thought was...

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Do you mean Attack on Titan? That show is messed UP. For some reason I'm okay with monsters or dinosaurs or aliens eating people, but... creepily disproportionate humanoids eating people? I haven't been that freaked out by an anime since AKIRA.

Wait a minute did you just say Akira? I Thought I was the only person who's seen that. Tell me, are you a female who's seen Akira? you're lying.....are you lying? I know you're not lying cause you're honest, but gosh darn, that's awesome...where do the ladies who watch Akira hang out during the day?

Oh...and the Titans are pretty interesting to me. I just read a book called Iron John and it mentioned Titans were the primal child like urges we had as children, hence that is what the Titans symbolized in Greek mythology, hence I laughed when I saw the Titans stumbling around the planet...they are actually kind of funny looking to me.