• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hell on Wheels

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So anyone see the pilot episode for the title series on AMC? What are your thoughts on it so far?

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I started watching it after The Walking Dead, but I found I couldn't really get into it. I kept getting distracted.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
This looks up my alley. Gonna download the pilot on iTunes either tonight or tomorrow.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I watched like the first 20 minutes before it stopped working. I liked what I saw but it hadn't really gotten much in to anything, yet.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Watched it last night and LOVED it!! I was hooked right away. I'm only sort of in to The Walking Dead - my spouse watches it and it's fine but I don't need to see every ep. But I think I'll be following Hell on Wheels!

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I personally thought it was good, but not as fast as expected; the commercials for it portrayed it as fast, intense, and exciting with a morally grey atmosphere, but the pilot episode felt much more slow and subtle. Hopefully it'll pick up more steam as the series progresses.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well 4 episodes in, and although it's not a bad series, for some reason it feels like its lacking something; excitment. I mean so far it's been focused on a lot of conversation and what not, which is preety good in its own right, but I feel as though the show wants to engage heavy and deep material, but just doesn't quite do it. But the intensity, action, and dynamicism seems scarce to say the least; as I mentioned before, a show called Hell on Wheels sounds like a fast paced ride, but so far it seems that the train is moving too often at a slow and steady pace. But again, that doesn't make the series bad per se, it's good in its own right, but I've heard from others how Hell on Wheels is just a shoody clone of Deadwood (note: I have never seen Deadwood).

Also, I want to be nit-picky about this, the plot revolving around Collin getting revenge for his wife, is somewhat pointless. I mean it could have been compelling, but there's several things the writers have done wrong with it that keeps me from being satisfied with it. First and for most, we the audience have never seen Collin ever interact with his wife at all. We haven't seen their relationship, haven't seen their loves, haven't seen anything besides a very brief flashback of her. Hell, for that matter I don't even remember her name; there's no established character behind her for me to care about, so her death means nothing to me. Had we be given at least some more flashbacks of Collin and her interacting together, I might feel more sympathy for the both of them, and of course it would harden Collin's resolve for vengeance. Also, the men that he is hunting down, don't really mean anything either; its already been established that most of them have been killed already, so where's all the excitment in finding and killing each one? I mean I think there's a grand total of two or three more guys for Collin to kill; seems kinda boring especially when I don't give a rats-ass about his wife or their relationship at all. And if Durant turns out to be one of the killers, so help me god I will foam at the mouth with anger. But thankfully the show has shown itself to be generally intelligent and mature, and probably won't resort to such childish plot turns in order to move the story.