• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Walking Dead- CONTAINS SPOILERS!

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
I just watched the first episode of season 1. The show was surprisingly enjoyable. But I wonder why the starving zombies don't just eat each other.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I hadn't seen this show at all, but this week I watched all of Season 1 and the first two of Season 2. It's great! I'm not a particular fan of zombie stories, but I really liked 28 Days Later and I really like this. I agree that it has a nice mix of personal stories and action. The personal stories make the action hit that much harder when characters you've come to know are in danger.

It's funny though, It's the story that gets me...I actually don't like a lot of the characters. Rick annoys me (it's no surprise he was the whiny annoying guy in Love, Actually - I hated that character.) Shane, Carol and Andrea annoy me too. I liked Morgan and I don't think we've seen the last of him. I also like the new doctor guy (and his daughter that fetched Lori on the horse...ROWR.)

I don't know if the entire thread is considered spoil-y because of the title, but I'll use the spoiler tag for my predictions just in case.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It's a good prediction. Also

[MENTION=325]EffEmDoubleyou[/MENTION] mentioned not liking Andrea, and I agree. It pains me, because she is one of the singularly best characters in the comic series (she does get depressed after the ordeal with her sister, of course, but remains pretty solid anyways). I don't like the actress playing her much. Something that's actually puzzled me since the show started about that character: in the comics, the character is in her early (at latest, mid) 20s. She's stated to have recently graduated from college. I don't really understand why they bumped that age to about 40. It's been a while since I saw season one, but the actress who played her sister was like 20 years old, right? I guess in the series there's just a huge gap between them?

(after looking it up, the sister's actress is presently 24 to Andrea's actress' 38)

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
It's a good prediction. Also

[MENTION=325]EffEmDoubleyou[/MENTION] mentioned not liking Andrea, and I agree. It pains me, because she is one of the singularly best characters in the comic series (she does get depressed after the ordeal with her sister, of course, but remains pretty solid anyways). I don't like the actress playing her much. Something that's actually puzzled me since the show started about that character: in the comics, the character is in her early (at latest, mid) 20s. She's stated to have recently graduated from college. I don't really understand why they bumped that age to about 40. It's been a while since I saw season one, but the actress who played her sister was like 20 years old, right? I guess in the series there's just a huge gap between them?

(after looking it up, the sister's actress is presently 24 to Andrea's actress' 38)

I'm kinda torn with the actress playing Andrea. I can't decide if I don't like the portrayal, or if the writers are just conveniently making her whatever they require at the moment. Sometimes I like her, but I feel like the writers will only let her be the victim or the Strong Independent Woman, and I don't see much room for her to be really human. Most of these characters are pretty humorless. I wish they'd let them have a few moments of attempted normality, in which they show their senses of humor or quirks.

This is also why I am generally not drawn to shows with mostly unknown casts. It feels like "generic tv" sometimes.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Look Ma! No spoiler tags!
It's funny though, It's the story that gets me...I actually don't like a lot of the characters. Rick annoys me (it's no surprise he was the whiny annoying guy in Love, Actually - I hated that character.) Shane, Carol and Andrea annoy me too. I liked Morgan and I don't think we've seen the last of him. I also like the new doctor guy (and his daughter that fetched Lori on the horse...ROWR.)
I agree. I'm not crazy about the characters at all.

I don't know if the entire thread is considered spoil-y because of the title, but I'll use the spoiler tag for my predictions just in case.
If someone doesn't want to know what has happened or what might happen, then this isn't the thread for you. The tags just seem useable so I guess people like using them.

My big guess is that Merle has Sophia. We know he's still alive and has a truck. I bet he's been trailing them, waiting for an opportunity to have some kind of leverage against the group, and saw his chance when Sophia was left alone. I hope she doesn't show up until Dale's scenario comes to pass and they have to have the discussion about the need of the individual and the need of the group. I think Carl might die, because I can't see the group taking him along in that condition, and I can't see them staying at the farm for an extended period. Maybe something crazy happens like they leave Carl with the farm family or one of his parents stays with him while the rest move on. I couldn't really tell what Shane's and Otis' situation was because it was dark, but that was a great cliffhanger. I bet Otis dies and Shane makes it back with the medical supplies. Otis pretty much has to die, I think, and his fat ass probably won't be able to keep up with Shane when they're running away from walkers.
Carl should be dead. I mean he was shot in the chest! In reality, Otis wouldn't make it either.
I'm kinda torn with the actress playing Andrea. I can't decide if I don't like the portrayal, or if the writers are just conveniently making her whatever they require at the moment. Sometimes I like her, but I feel like the writers will only let her be the victim or the Strong Independent Woman, and I don't see much room for her to be really human. Most of these characters are pretty humorless. I wish they'd let them have a few moments of attempted normality, in which they show their senses of humor or quirks.

This is also why I am generally not drawn to shows with mostly unknown casts. It feels like "generic tv" sometimes.
I agree. The zombies are the real appeal for me. The characters annoy me.

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Thanks to one of you mentioning the comic, I went ahead and read the entire synopsis so if the tv series follows the comics I have probably ruined it for myself. Since Shane is alive, I am guessing the series won't follow the comic all that much and so perhaps I haven't completely ruined it for myself. Also, here is a link for those of you who missed episode 2.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought the second episode was a big step down from the season opener. That first episode was just full of tension and suspense. The last episode had a lot of tension, but of a different kind. I liked how the first season was only a handful of episodes, it kept the pace moving. I hope (and I think based on what I saw in the previews) the third episode will crank it back up.

I assume there is something keeping the walkers from attacking the farm, other than just being a few miles off the highway. It seems pretty lightly defended.

I like Daryl the most so far this season. He's less of a racist asshole so far, yet still the badass you want on your side against a zombie horde. Too bad his shithead brother will show up sooner or later.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Yeah, the characters are fizzling out to me. I don't see the comic storyline being much of a spoiler, at this point they're hardly following it.

Daryl and Glenn are definitely my favorites. Daryl because he actually gets @#!*% done, Glenn because he was mouthy and entertaining during the first season.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't want to be a killjoy, but since this thread is about the show, I would consider revealing details of the comic storyline to be unfair spoilers. Things may not happen in the exact same sequence, but plot points could still come into play.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't want to be a killjoy, but since this thread is about the show, I would consider revealing details of the comic storyline to be unfair spoilers. Things may not happen in the exact same sequence, but plot points could still come into play.

I would agree.

I decided not to read the comics in case they lift more plot points from them, even though they have deviated from the comics a bit so far.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP

I agree--I think they'll mostly follow the comics, even if they stray here and there. Usually I don't care much about spoilers because the HOW of it and the character interaction is why I watch a show, but since this one is more about the action than the stellar acting, I'm going to be a bit more of a spoiler avoider.

I would say that in these discussion threads, it should be safe to talk about what has already happened (since the thread itself is spoiler-warned) and it should be safe to speculate. But stuff from the comics should be tagged.

Someone from Television without Pity had an interesting theory about the Greenes, which I'll spoiler tag in case it's true:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really would be okay, actually, with the killing off of the children, if it wouldn't trigger a big cry-fest amongst the adults for episodes on end.

Is it me, or was Sophia's mom really mismatched with the abusive guy (before he got zombied), casting-wise? She looks like she'd run a feminist bookstore in Seattle, and he looks like he crawled out of the backwoods of Georgia.

riiiight? i said the same thing! she seems way too cool and west coast liberal for that wife hitting hillbilly what the bloody hell.

liking this show too and am getting upset that episode 2 is not online yet. :/

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I would say that in these discussion threads, it should be safe to talk about what has already happened (since the thread itself is spoiler-warned) and it should be safe to speculate. But stuff from the comics should be tagged.

This is why I will not use spoiler tags. The title of this thread clearly states that there are spoilers, so it's your own fault if something is "spoiled" for you.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
This is why I will not use spoiler tags. The title of this thread clearly states that there are spoilers, so it's your own fault if something is "spoiled" for you.
Exactly!

I hope tonight is better than last week.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
HOLY CRAP SHANE!!!!!!!!!!! Not cool. I mean, survival and all, guilt about Carl, but sheesh.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
At least there was some excitement. This show is too predictable for me. So far, I preferred last years writers that were canned.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
At least there was some excitement. This show is too predictable for me. So far, I preferred last years writers that were canned.

I agree. I think last year was a lot more interesting. I'm kind of sick of half the characters this year, and I'm reaaaaally done with Lori and Carol. And kind of with Dale, unless they start writing him better.

It bothers me that everybody seems to have this attitude of Otis needing to pay for his crime, which was an accident. He was a standup guy, and he volunteered to go with Shane, and though I understand the survival instinct, I'm kind of annoyed that it went down that way, especially to save dumb Carl. I'm really tired of all the Carl and Sophia whining.

I really like Daryl and Andrea as a team, though!

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Shane is an @#!*% .

And I'm falling more and more in love with Daryl and Glenn every day. Here's to hoping the writers don't completely screw them up.