• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Walking Dead- CONTAINS SPOILERS!

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I mean, I was already hurt Carl was killed off. He was one of my favorites. Now they're pinning Maggie poorly and I'm internally screaming.

NOT MICHONNE. WHY BRING MY OTHER BBY INTO THIS. XD

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
'Walking Dead' Season 9 time jump confirmed

Andrew Lincoln and Lauren Cohen possibly exiting the series? And you're preparing to possibly continue on without them?

You've already strayed so far from the source material, at times to the detriment of the series, and yet you still want to ring every last drop of monetary moisture out the proverbial wet towel?

Just let the series end on the note of The Savior's defeat and have everyone ride off into the sunset.

Seriously what else is there left to do? Haven't you really said everything you've needed to say? How many more times can the plot of a new, rival community under the helm of some megalomaniac antagonist continue to be recycled until it becomes stale to the general audience.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The season premiere was last night.

My assessment: it's an improvement over prior seasons, if only that the whole Rick/Negan thing that dragged on for 2.5 seasons or longer is no longer the focus. The tone was better, it's focused more on the rebuilding of the various communities and the problems they are having. Thank god for that.

The major issues are still essentially the contrived situations that just make one roll their eyes:

On the other hand, I'm kind of impressed they didn't belabor one of the big plot points of the episode. That's kind of a first... although here they might have gotten more mileage out of it.

Still it felt a little contrived / deck-stacking in terms of the impact. Oh well.

The best moments of this episode were the personal ones and I'm glad they are at least doing that now again, rather than cyclic pointless plots. I really liked the time that Carol and Daryl spent talking alone.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
Do the dead ever stop walking? and do they ever bring killed favorite characters back as the walking dead?

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
The boyfriend and I cracked up in unison like psychos when what's-his-nuts was kicked by the horse he was trying to save.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think they should introduce a new character called Barbara just so the other characters can constantly say "They're coming to get you Barbara."

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's really too bad that the series has improved now, after they ran it into the ground for 4-5 seasons in a row. (The Saviors thing that dragged on for 2.5 seasons, man... that was a killer to the series.) Glad Gimple is gone from direct involvement.

The new season actually focuses more on the people and character development again, although it still has zombie killing and occasional dumb moments meant to cause tension but are just "lead character does something stupid that they would never do if they've survived this long" moments.

Also the faux pas of someone leaking Andrew Lincoln's departure is resulting in AMC just leaning into it to promote "the last episodes of Rick Grimes" -- but they are still actually better episodes than what we've seen in the past. Usually the character stuff was filler and not well thought out; last night's episode had some moments where characters are "telling each other like it is" and they actually have different views with nuance that are fair from both sides, but it's bringing them into conflict over how to handle affairs. It's pretty good where you can have two characters even come to blows / outright antagonism when you can tell both of them still care about each other and otherwise would have each other's backs.

It's just sad that most of the viewership has bailed now because of the mess of prior seasons.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
All I want is for Rick to lure all the zombies into the rushing waters beneath the failing bridge in a grand sacrificial suicide.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All I want is for Rick to lure all the zombies into the rushing waters beneath the failing bridge in a grand sacrificial suicide.

Woot! But no! Can't sacrifice da bridge!

It's his bridge over troubled waters [full of zombies]. Everything sounds better when you attach [full of zombies] to it.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow.

Just finished the latest episode...

Without giving anything away, the previews for the 2nd half of the this season and all the latest developments have actually reenergized my interest in the show.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I was halfway right, and that's good enough.

I did appreciate how it was different than I predicted. They've done an impressive job this season with creativity and symbolism, feels more real and thought out.
Fuck Gimple.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was halfway right, and that's good enough.

I did appreciate how it was different than I predicted. They've done an impressive job this season with creativity and symbolism, feels more real and thought out.
Fuck Gimple.

I won't tell you what it is but there's a particular event that happens toward the end that actually made me yell "Go fuck yourself, AMC!" very loudly.

When you see it, you'll know.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It was actually a pretty decent episode in many ways. They have upped the bar greatly this season and I'm interested (for the first time in four seasons or more) to see what happens next. There's also a few guest appearances, the first two of which were pretty damned good.

But yeah, that moment will likely be controversial. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I will blame Gimple, because frankly the new showrunner is doing an excellent job improving the quality of TWD this season (the show is markedly better), and the whole bit smacks of Gimple's typical excesses + the fact that he is the new executive umbrella guy who could force certain things.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was actually a pretty decent episode in many ways. They have upped the bar greatly this season and I'm interested (for the first time in four seasons or more) to see what happens next. There's also a few guest appearances, the first two of which were pretty damned good.

But yeah, that moment will likely be controversial. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I will blame Gimple, because frankly the new showrunner is doing an excellent job improving the quality of TWD this season (the show is markedly better), and the whole bit smacks of Gimple's typical excesses + the fact that he is the new executive umbrella guy who could force certain things.

I'd really grown to hate the style of staggered story telling they'd used for the last few seasons where each episode seemingly follows one person's individual plot, and everything gets tied together in the finale -- It's OK in small doses but several seasons of that led to some episodes feeling like wasted space and meandering plots.

I'm really stoked (yes I just used the term "stoked" unironically) about the new direction the show is going in.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mid-Season finale

Aaaaannndddd.... yet another character wasted on this show. When are they going to actually utilize characters in a useful way, aside from time filler? So many things that could have been done over multiple seasons, yet... nada.

My other gripe is I want to know what happened to Michonne (except for the loss of Rick and the mantle of leadership) that has driven her to become a bitch. She's just lost her empathy but this isn't how she was written for a long time; there should be more development about what is driven this attitude, she's been written more the opposite in the past. Even Rick was more empathetic than she is now and Michonne used to be HIS human compass.

All that being said, otherwise it's a hell of a season closer. The first half of the season is actually the best thing that's been happening storywise for a number of seasons on this show. And the Whisperers are pretty chilling.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've accepted that I'm probably the only person on the forum that still follows this show but I'm going to share my thoughts anyway. On one hand, I'm a lot less invested in the lives of the individual characters of this show than I was, say, a few years ago, and due to the reoccurring theme of death in this series I've ultimately become desensitized to character deaths, yet apart of me still cares.

That said:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I still follow it (pretty much I'll watch each episode once -- in the early years, some of the episodes were rewatch-worthy), but I won't read your spoiler yet since I didn't see tonight's episode (I already blew off Oscars to watch True Detective's season finale).

I think this season is a marked improvement from prior seasons, the Whisperers plot is more harrowing and disturbing because it's changing all the rules. And it was good to shake up the cast by getting of a few folks and seeing how that impacted the pecking order of the characters on the show. Overall, it's just a better show.

But they still have a big problem with not knowing what to do with characters except for killing them. They need to give individual characters actual arcs to follow, versus just responding to "zombie problem of the week" and then finally expiring when they have a bad spot of luck. It got so predictable -- it's like, "oh wait, they're doing something with the character this episode, they will be killed off by the end of it."