• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Wrestling a Girl

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Any thoughts on this blog article?

The blogger definitely tried to wend his way through to a multi-layered conclusion.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dai...-against-girl-right-instinct-rarely-first-one

...This came to mind when I read the Prep Rally post about Mina Johnson, the Virginia eighth-grade football player who sat out a game against a North Carolina team last week because her team's opponent had reservations about playing against a girl.

Similarly, when Cedar Falls High School female wrestler Cassy Herkelman was given a forfeit during the Iowa state tournament last February, it became national news.

The forfeit was given when her opponent, Linn-Mar High's Joel Northup, conceded.

The national wrestling community's reaction was a resounding "WHAT!?" The Iowa state high school tournament is one of the most competitive in the country. Kids train tirelessely and shed pounds dangerously for it. In Iowa, arguably the state with the greatest wrestling tradition, this is huge.

"As a matter of conscience and my faith I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner," was Northup’s explanation....

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Wow, I wasn't even aware that girls were playing on male football teams and wrestling against guys in tournaments. Huh, interesting.

It does bug me that guys think they have to win against me in anything physical, though. I remember I had a long bike ride along a bike path to one of my internship jobs in uni. I looooove riding fast, so that's what I did. And I remember whenever I passed guys on the path, they would speed up and try to pass me. But since I was pretty fast, I would take pleasure in deliberately speeding up to pass them again if they passed me, or to not allow them to pass me if I noticed they were trying, and to continue riding quickly. I remember once I noticed someone tried to race me all the way to where I worked. When we both got there (me first) he said "Good one, you outmaneuvered me back there." :laugh:

At the same time, I can understand why they feel that pressure, but tbh, it still annoys me sometimes.

I think the thing that annoys me most is when that attitude continues in areas where physicality is irrelevant, like the workplace. (But I suppose that would be a topic for another thread.)

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i've always felt wrestling was kinda homoerotic so i can see a problem with it more than other sports just because you're in such close contact with eachother. you're all rolling around and straddling eachother and shit. the boy was probably scared of getting a boner.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I pester my wife and let her beat me at wrestling all the time. :yes:
It's great fun! :newwink:

:solidarity:

-Alex

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
I pester my wife and let her beat me at wrestling all the time. :yes:
It's great fun! :newwink:

:solidarity:

-Alex

:laugh:

I used to love play fighting with guys and did so with a few of the guys in the residence I lived in at uni, but there were only a few who were willing to do it for obvious reasons. Of course they would win in the end (especially if they discovered how ticklish I was), but I put up a good fight until then cuz I'm stronger than I look and have much quicker reflexes than most people, and it was good for a laugh and an adrenaline rush.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've trained jujutsu style wrestling with women. It's not sexy at all. I mean, it's just all hot and sweaty and stuff. :D

I was initially hesitant, but decided it's really cheating them in a MA setting to hold back. I've been beat once. This girl summoned the strength of 10 bears and got me flipped over on my back, while ripping off the double-stitched denim tie on my uniform. I found out afterward that the physicality made her freak out because of some stuff she ran into in the past.

T

ThatGirl

I once tapped a six foot three male opponent out, by choking his rib cage with the strength of my thighs alone.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i've always felt wrestling was kinda homoerotic so i can see a problem with it more than other sports just because you're in such close contact with eachother. you're all rolling around and straddling eachother and shit. the boy was probably scared of getting a boner.

I figure if she was good enough to make weight and get that wrestling slot, that's the last thing he'll have time to worry about. (Or do guys get boners when they're getting their ass kicked by a girl? Does it have time to work that way?)

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I figure if she was good enough to make weight and get that wrestling slot, that's the last thing he'll have time to worry about. (Or do guys get boners when they're getting their ass kicked by a girl? Does it have time to work that way?)

i don't know, i've been living under the assumption that teenage boys are walking around with boners like 90% of the time. i haven't scientifically proven this though... yet. boners are an interest of mine.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't know, i've been living under the assumption that teenage boys are walking around with boners like 90% of the time. i haven't scientifically proven this though... yet. boners are an interest of mine.

it's not that big a deal most of the time, but with those thin latex suits the wrestlers wear, you can pretty much clearly can see their penis, so getting a boner then would be a bigger deal to most guys.

Wanderer

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Uhhh. Um.:wacko:
Wow. I can't believe they thought this was a good idea xD

I wouldn't have wrestled a girl in high school. (1) I have only met one woman who could hand me my ass in real life, so I would have felt like it wouldn't be fair to the girl I was wrestling and (2) There is no way a teenager overloaded with hormones ISN'T going to get a raging boner from close physical contact with a girl, if she's AT ALL attractive.. especially given how some of those holds work. It doesn't matter how much I'm trying to gain the upper hand, or how close she is to beating me. Boners happen at the worst possible times, whether we want them to or not.

HELL NO I wouldn't have wrestled her.

Well. Maybe if I took her out somewhere nice first..

[JK xD]

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I LOVE play wrestling but it's only fun with somebody else who likes it too and who I know won't go all serious on me.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I LOVE play wrestling but it's only fun with somebody else who likes it too and who I know won't go all serious on me.

I know! Agreed.

As to the decisions about mixed sex wrestling, I think it's just a bad idea in general. I know they must mix the kids because there aren't enough girls who wrestle at the high school level (yet?) but it just sounds like trouble to have girl/boy matches. Back in high school, if I were a wrestler, I would have jumped at the chance to pretzel the heck out of some guy, and I would have been offended and angry to be forfeited on, yet as an adult, I can see it's not a great idea. Boys will either pull their "punches" so to speak or get an (unwanted?) sexual high off of it, and the girl won't like any of those results. Plus, if he beats her, no one will be surprised and perhaps consider the girl to be "girlish" as in weaker or less talented.

They need to get more girls into the sport or give it up. Wrestling around always gets awkward or sexual. My ENTP ex used to employ it playfully when we were first getting to know one another, but I'm not naive. I knew what was on his mind.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I've rolled with females before in Brazilian jiu-jitsu. I was a little more careful of course, but pretty much everything was the same as if I were rolling with a male their size. I didn't get the impression that they expected any different.

Matt_s

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm a steel chair shot to the head away from a vegetative state as it is.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I've trained jujutsu style wrestling with women. It's not sexy at all. I mean, it's just all hot and sweaty and stuff. :D

Hehe. I remember when that Cassy Herkelman story was in the news, men who'd actually done wrestling, martial arts, etc. with women were saying something similar: that you just get into the action and don't really think about sex. The "OH NOES, the man could get a BONER in front of EVERYONE!!!" comments were coming from men who'd never actually done it. I don't recall a single story of a man who'd wrestled a woman and experienced this, just plenty of 'what if' comments from men who'd never actually done it (and cited their bonerphobia as the reason they never would).

I think it's quite understandable that guys would feel odd or hesitant about it. In addition to the possibility of "arousal", there's the strong taboo against hitting women, ever, even in a consensual competition. And of course the possibility of being beaten by her. But they should still do it: if she's made it onto the team it's only fair, especially if there isn't a women's team available for her.

I feel pretty much the same way the blogger did about that kid that forfeited the wrestling tournament because of his "Christian values": if he was uncomfortable with the idea of wrestling a girl I can hardly blame him, but it annoyed the hell out of me how he forfeited and then acted morally superior for it. As if he had some gentlemanly duty to protect her from a situation she had chosen for herself.

KDude

For some reason, I like the idea of a man vs woman fistfight over wrestling. lol. I've never done it, but I've lightly sparred some, and didn't really think anything of it. I could see some of problems/paranoia that could rise from wrestling though. It's kind of too close for comfort or something.

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Wrestle her with your penis. That is how you win.