• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

American Horror Story *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Don't forget about the sick person that likes to talk on forums about how the sick person is getting someone else sick.

Ourborous? Thus tying in with mouth snakes.

If I ever do see this show, there better be mouth-snakes.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Pulling in the ouroboros now drags the show Millenium (another old fave) into things. ;)

Snake got your tongue?

Mouth snakes remind me of something, but I can't figure out what that is, for the life of me. Gummi worms! That's what it is!

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Grow a pair. This is fiction.

If we're being technical about it, it's a fictionalized portrayal of historical events, and probably not as sensationalized as one might assume. Much of the reason that the story of LaLaurie has been so enduring is that the sheer inventiveness of her sadism was exceptional enough to become infamous even among the fine slave owners of the Deep South.

Acknowledging that, I will add to it that I'm an African-American with generations of family from New Orleans. The idea of someone finding the "minotaur" to be "cool" is as disturbing to me as someone saying the same to a Jewish person of some lurid depiction of one of Mengele's experiments. Or telling someone who's Chinese how intriguing they found some fictionalized account of Unit 731. It's fucked up, offensive and dismaying.

I didn't hold the comment against [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION]. I know her, consider her a friend, and I know she wasn't trying to be a dick or internet tough guy like you apparently are. But I'd be damned given what I know and who I am not to have said something. As for you, I'm just going to assume you're ignorant, and just tripped on your own dick trying to establish your rep on a new site. It's annoying that you chose to have that done at my expense when my initial impression of you had actually been pretty good (the better part of the reason why I even bothered to explain all that to you). This is not INTPc or wherever you're from. You can check the attitude.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If we're being technical about it, it's a fictionalized portrayal of historical events, and probably not as sensationalized as one might assume. Much of the reason that the story of LaLaurie has been so enduring is that the sheer inventiveness of her sadism was exceptional enough to become infamous even among the fine slave owners of the Deep South.

I'm admittedly ignorant of the character and the history, it's just not an area of history I am well-read in and I still had the idea it was all fictionalized, so I appreciate you providing more context for what they were referencing in that episode and why it impacted you the way that it did. I'd rather have a friend whack me up alongside the head, than someone who doesn't know me and would misconstrue my ignorance as something far more negative.

So what did you think of Episode #2?

It looks like not even Fiona is very fond of LaLaurie, she's just using her as a ticket to acquire the elixir of youth she so desperately craves.

I'm still kind of blown away to see three of my favorite experienced female actors in the same episode of the same show. Two are around 64, I think Bassett's 54, and I'm 44. They just awe me. I loved Bassett ever since I saw her in Strange Days years ago, and Lange has such a long resume (although I think she danced circles around almost everyone in Roy Roy, without getting a lot of blatant kudos for it). And I think Bates is pretty brave for being willing to associate herself with this wretch of a character; there are some "villains" that an audience can still like (Hannibal Lecter is one of the most obvious), but is that even a possibility here?

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
If we're being technical about it, it's a fictionalized portrayal of historical events, and probably not as sensationalized as one might assume.

As for you, I'm just going to assume you're ignorant, and just tripped on your own dick trying to establish your rep on a new site. It's annoying that you chose to have that done at my expense when my initial impression of you had actually been pretty good (the better part of the reason why I even bothered to explain all that to you). This is not INTPc or wherever you're from. You can check the attitude.

I was ignorant of the fact that it was based on historical events, and I appreciate the history lesson. I can certainly validate and understand emotional bonds with the past, particularly when it pertains to one's own heritage. That said, 'sensationalized' is likely an understatement. I've almost no doubt that the actual experiences were far worse than any fictional TV show could depict, in the same kind of terrible way that shooting a person in real life is significantly different from the way it's portrayed in the movies. Regardless, it is a fictional show, and as such it's art deliberately crafted to be stylish more than informative, and should well be appreciated for it-- for were it not for the fact, many people (like me) would go their entire lives without knowing about the tragic history from whence it's drawn-- and while 'cool' might not be the vernacular I'd use to highlight such a grim chapter in history, the show's craftsmanship aught still be appreciated for what it does and how it does it. The worst crime we can commit to the future, and the biggest dishonor we can do to the past, is to ignore or look away from history and the terrible things that have transpired-- humanity can be as ugly as it can beautiful, and sometimes we just need to put our big kid boots on and bear witness, so that it may, possibly, never happen again. As a universalist I believe all people share inherit traits, and what's possible for one is possible for another-- therefore it is always important, I think, to stow our feelings long enough to look evil in the eye when we have to.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Regarding the show itself, I've always had a crush on Angela Lang, and I've enjoyed her the most in the last two seasons when she's in positions of domination and authority-- though oddly enough the first season has been my favorite so far. The cast is always solid, though the show has always had misandrist tones to it that are a little off-putting, but only just a little...it seems to only ever favor extraordinarily submissive men and really pulls for you to root for the empowered females, even when it initially appears that they're villainous. Most of the men on the show are portrayed as sexual predators or cheating scumbags, which has a good place in horror, but goes a little bit over the top. I was really worried that this season would just be completely over the top, celebrating the absolute rape-victim style carnage that could come from a whole coven of women-scorned, but it actually seems to be taking a look at feminine power dynamics within femininity, rather than pitting them against men...though there are still plenty of douchenozzle bit characters to fill in the gaps. Looking forward to watching the rise of young Farminga there as the new Superior. We all know it's coming...

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm admittedly ignorant of the character and the history, it's just not an area of history I am well-read in and I still had the idea it was all fictionalized, so I appreciate you providing more context for what they were referencing in that episode and why it impacted you the way that it did. I'd rather have a friend whack me up alongside the head, than someone who doesn't know me and would misconstrue my ignorance as something far more negative.

I was ignorant of the fact that it was based on historical events, and I appreciate the history lesson. I can certainly validate and understand emotional bonds with the past, particularly when it pertains to one's own heritage. That said, 'sensationalized' is likely an understatement. I've almost no doubt that the actual experiences were far worse than any fictional TV show could depict, in the same kind of terrible way that shooting a person in real life is significantly different from the way it's portrayed in the movies. Regardless, it is a fictional show, and as such it's art deliberately crafted to be stylish more than informative, and should well be appreciated for it-- for were it not for the fact, many people (like me) would go their entire lives without knowing about the tragic history from whence it's drawn-- and while 'cool' might not be the vernacular I'd use to highlight such a grim chapter in history, the show's craftsmanship aught still be appreciated for what it does and how it does it. The worst crime we can commit to the future, and the biggest dishonor we can do to the past, is to ignore or look away from history and the terrible things that have transpired-- humanity can be as ugly as it can beautiful, and sometimes we just need to put our big kid boots on and bear witness, so that it may, possibly, never happen again. As a universalist I believe all people share inherit traits, and what's possible for one is possible for another-- therefore it is always important, I think, to stow our feelings long enough to look evil in the eye when we have to.

With respect to the historical stuff, I appreciate both of y'all's comments. It's by no means my intention to be PC police or brow beat people about that sorta stuff. Kinda reveals my own biases that I figured everyone would know the history of that story just because it was one that I grew up with. As it turns out, my godmother is actually descended from Marie Laveau. Now there are about half a dozen creole families that claim such a thing, but it's still kinda fascinating. Her mom has a book that contains their genealogy from Laveau as well as various family stories that is bound in human flesh.

As kind of an aside [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION], I wonder if my obsession with horror is rooted in somehow seeking catharsis from all that. The thought's not entirely formed yet...

As for episode 2, I'll start by saying first that Ryan Murphy knows how to do a season premiere. I mean, forreal. It's almost like you have to reacclimatize to the sheer volume of crazy that this show brings. You end up feeling so blitzed by the premiere that you're willing to follow him anywhere in episode 2. Oh, theyre making Evan Peters into a zombie boyfriend. Great! For sure. Marie Laveau is alive and well and doing weaves in the 9th ward? Why not!

Already, I feel like this is shaping up to be my favorite season. It's like they managed to improve upon the technical aspects that started to coalesce in season 2 with the madcap thrill of season 1. I also agree with you that the talent is astonishing. I could have watched that scene with Jessica Lange and Angela Bassett being catty witches to each other for another good 15 mins.

Anyways. I dont really have much by the way of profound insight into this show quite yet. I enjoy it on a pretty visceral level. I just skimmed [MENTION=20035]anticlimatic[/MENTION]'s post and am gonna think on it some more before commenting.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, the deal with Frankenboy and mom was a little off-setting, but the whole resolution wasn't unexpected. I thought Mom's initial conversation with Zoe was a little weird, and then well, it got weirder.

However, here I thought Fiona was planning on turning over a new leaf... and apparently a zebra can't change its stripes. Kind of a strong episode in terms of her character development, I think she really didn't have that all planned... she was just stuck grappling with her own inevitable fate, and well stuff happens. But hey, she didn't flinch, after; back in the saddle, she's a tough one. Anyway, I think the ambivalence that Lange portrays in her makes her a deeper character than she might have been otherwise.

Great subplot too with Cordelia and Marie, I like how Marie is going to be the pain in their ass just because she can, without any apology, because Fiona tried to screw with her; Cordelia's only real crime is being the daughter of the Supreme, and how she's very very unhappy. How will that dynamic all play out?

Not sure about the new subplot with the fundie neighbors. It feels a little cliche, but it's taken to such extreme levels, well, could be interesting.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
This coven doesn't need a new supreme, it needs a new rug.

Welp, guess Misty's gonna get another house guest.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
Not sure about the new subplot with the fundie neighbors. It feels a little cliche, but it's taken to such extreme levels, well, could be interesting.
I thought it might be fun ongoing storyline the way the guy seemed to ignore the skanky witch and pay more attention to the special-o witch, but that potential sub plot went right out the window.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought it might be fun ongoing storyline the way the guy seemed to ignore the skanky witch and pay more attention to the special-o witch, but that potential sub plot went right out the window.

yeah, I found the same possibility intriguing... and within about 10 seconds, well, THAT was over. Seemingly. It might come back in a later episode, who knows?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
At least there's some stuff happening now, and I'll apologize in advance for the bad puns that are to follow.

The rivalry between Myrtle and Fiona has definitely heated up, hasn't it? And, oh, Misty, she's slowly intersecting with and bringing some life to the main plotlines. Things are getting more and more interesting.

Spalding can be rather disarming when he wants to be. They also say that clothes make the man, but I'm not sure what that makes him.

I thought Zoe revving up for her Evil Dead / Army of Darkness was both silly and inspired, I had to laugh. It looks like she's got a little more up her sleeves than vagina mortis... which I think we'd all suspected from the start.

Most disturbing plot twist was Cordelia losing face, and how one of the girls lent a hand in that. She now looks at her husband with new eyes, and that could be very bad for him... especially after what he's been doing in his spare time.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I feel like everything is percolating towards something really, really epic. I hate the word epic but I can't think of another one.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I feel like everything is percolating towards something really, really epic. I hate the word epic but I can't think of another one.
I hope so because last year was a mess. Too many story lines, and the ending should/could have been better.

I just finished watching Murder House again on Netflix, and to date that one is my favorite, but Coven might take first place after all is said and done. I really connected with many of the characters in Season one, but not really any with Asylum. As for Coven, so far the only one I don't like (for obvious reasons) is Delphine LaLaurie. No idea who "The Supreme" is, and I think it will stay that way until near the end.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I'm worried Misty Day's ability of 'resurgence' will undermine a character's death.
I know that people, (well one person), came 'back to life' in Asylum and in Murder house no one was ever really gone, albeit with a catch.

But I wouldn't want her ability to turn into the 'healing blood' of the American Horror series.

Although having said this, there is a fairly strong theme, particularly in Coven, of death being either kept at bay, twisted, reversed or perhaps even beaten. So as long as it isn't overused as plot armour it could be a solid one.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like the idea of healing being limited, having a price to pay, etc. Misty herself was fried but looks whole again; it would be interesting if the latest victim actually remained looking the way she looks now, all toasty-o, just alive vs dead. Yes, I'm twisted and sadistic that way. But I don't like "Get out of Jail free" cards in my stories, I want trauma and sacrifice to mean something.

We should have a betting pool on who the next Supreme is going to be.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Stevie Nicks will make an appearance before the season is over. She is The Supreme. :wink: