• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

American Horror Story *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That was special. Actually, before the incident in the foyer, I thought that scene with Ben struggling over whether to end his life, then interacting with Vivien and Violet, was beautiful. I got choked up. And it was filmed a bit surreal, Vivien was all glowy. It was finally apparent what the family could be like when it wasn't so darned dysfunctional as it had been at the first episode.

Nice twist with the stillborn baby too. So now apparently the whole family is still together -- including the baby that actually is Ben's and Vivien's.

But I really don't have an idea what happens next, aside from Constance raising the anti-christ. I mean, I can't imagine a series could keep going indefinitely if it was merely, "New tenants move in, new tenants get creeped out, new tenants move out." And they're currently stuck on-site, the house won't let them off the grounds, so.... no new environs. Where does it go from here?

So Constance's grandson is going to be like a Hellspawn Jack? Or was there a fast forward in time between the Ramos family fleeing and Constance hiring an ill-fated nanny?

There was a subtitle there that said "Three Years Later." So I don't think he aged a lot faster than normal. Still, if anyone can raise a beautiful demon-spawned boy psychopath, it's Constance; she's even had experience, although I guess that didn't turn out so well the first time....

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll hazard bringing up something trivial like physical appearance again because I just read an August article from one of the show's creators about the preponderance of redheads in the show:

No, the preponderance of redheads isn't an accident. Murphy talked to TheWrap about their importance to the show at the Television Critics Association Summer press tour Saturday -- which happened to be the 100th anniversary of Lucille Ball's birth.

"That's a plot point," Murphy revealed. "I'm glad you noticed that."

The redheads have something to do with Dylan McDermott's character, a man who moves his family into the haunted Los Angeles manse after he cheats on his wife (Connie Britton).

"It's something that happened to Dylan's character as a child that involves redheads," Murphy said. "I just think that it's a beautiful childhood thing for him that will be explained."

Maybe we find out in the next season?

The first burning question I am left with after this season has ended concerns Moira. What is it about her character that causes other people to see her in different forms? Why is she "special" in that way? She died like all of the other ghosts, but none of the other ghosts create this effect... that we know of. I am undecided as to whether Moira has any control over what form she appears as to the living or dead.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Some on Television without Pity are expressing disappointment with this episode, but I really enjoyed it. It felt like it went by very quickly, but that's okay. I kind of loved how dying pulled the Harmons together, and now that they're together and ghosts and housebound, the conflict will come from outside people, such as Tate and Hayden, rather than the inside of their crumbling relationship. I loved the black comedy/farce when they got together to run the new family out--reminded me of Death Becomes Her--anyone remember that movie? It was kind of fun to see the Harmons get to take out their pent-up resentments without lasting consequences.

I'm glad to see that the doggie lives! That's one horror trope that they turned on its ear...unless we find out Marcy is a ghost. Though I'm fairly sure she goes off the property.

The stuff at the end with Constance and the kid was disturbing, especially since it didn't seem like any great shock to her. I really want to know what Constance's whole deal is. She's fascinating. And of course, I need to know what the child's role is--is he the Anti-christ that Billie Dean spoke of?

I love that we'll have the same cast next year, but the Harmons will be on the other side of the veil. I'm kind of glad that this first family isn't the one we'll get for all of next season. They were a bit generic.

Loved Viv asking Moira to be the godmother of the baby, and a member of their family. Moira needs a family.

[MENTION=179]iwakar[/MENTION], I think Moira's deal is that she has a lot of anger and resentment towards men because of the way she was used and then killed--wanted merely for sex. So whether she herself chooses to project the sexiness, that's what men see when they look at her. Maybe it's her way of trying to get them to reveal their true colors--to test them. With women, she projects who she really is--or how she feels inside. I hope they explain more about how/why that works for just her, though. I find Moira very compelling. I don't want her to leave the show, but I really would like the character to find some peace. I hope they show more of her backstory. I'm kind of fascinated by the fact that she's presented in a stylized, vintage 30s way, even though she died in 1983, and we've seen the snapshot of a modern looking woman in her police file. There has to be a reason for that. I also want to know why Constance seems like a relic from the 50s/60s.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some on Television without Pity are expressing disappointment with this episode, but I really enjoyed it. It felt like it went by very quickly, but that's okay. I kind of loved how dying pulled the Harmons together, and now that they're together and ghosts and housebound, the conflict will come from outside people, such as Tate and Hayden, rather than the inside of their crumbling relationship. I loved the black comedy/farce when they got together to run the new family out--reminded me of Death Becomes Her--anyone remember that movie? It was kind of fun to see the Harmons get to take out their pent-up resentments without lasting consequences.

I never saw Death Becomes Her, but it was a more serious reflection of Beetlejuice as well, and it was rather amusing to watch them go at each other -- knowing that now actually they love each other and are getting past all the stuff that was bogging them down. (Which leads to this question: Do people fight so hard for what they want, to represent their own interests in relational conflict, because they're alive? And does death take away that need? It's like once they were dead, it all ceased to matter; and I think that plays out in life in general, we often fight hardest for what we think we have a chance of getting/keeping, but if we know we can't have it, we just let it go. Here, they've let it go, and realize they've still had whatever relationship they idealized all along.)

I still think Ben got a raw deal, though. That was just horrid. I mean, Violet made a mistake but still did it to herself; and Vivien's passing was at least something within the normal realm of natural affliction; but Ben was so close to making it, and trying desperately to do the right thing. I found it ironical that Hayden's obsession actually removed all possibility of her getting what she wanted, at least for the moment; she no longer has any real way to harm the family or get between them.

I'm glad to see that the doggie lives! That's one horror trope that they turned on its ear...unless we find out Marcy is a ghost. Though I'm fairly sure she goes off the property.

I think that's the first time I got a really good look at the dog. Hilarious.

The stuff at the end with Constance and the kid was disturbing, especially since it didn't seem like any great shock to her.

That last bit... Wow, what is up with her? That's what is so disturbing about her; she seems to expound upon her moral scruples a great deal, but in the end she still looks a lot of real horrid stuff in the eye without even flinching and accepts it as "normal" and not something to hold against the perpetrator. It's kind of scary because it reflects on how she might have parented Tate, and look what happened to him. Despite her fire and bombast, she's an enabler and cohort.

I really want to know what Constance's whole deal is. She's fascinating. And of course, I need to know what the child's role is--is he the Anti-christ that Billie Dean spoke of?

I guess we'll find that one out over time.

I love that we'll have the same cast next year, but the Harmons will be on the other side of the veil. I'm kind of glad that this first family isn't the one we'll get for all of next season. They were a bit generic.

I liked their spunk, but I think they were kept generic because they were leaving. It was both eerie and sweet to watch the Harmons watch them making out in their kitchen, recalling their own lives and love in the process, and then wanting to make sure they did not have to go through what they did.

Loved Viv asking Moira to be the godmother of the baby, and a member of their family. Moira needs a family.

Very much liked that. Moira's kind of spearheading the "good ghost contingent" in the house, since she really was just a victim herself... first of Constance's husband's undesired affections, and then of Constance herself. (So we know Constance is also capable of evil.) I still don't know what's protecting Constance either; she walks through that house like the ghosts won't/can't hurt her, yet obviously THAT isn't true... just look at Ben.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I'll come back and respond/chat tomorrow, but I wanted to leave this here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobil...ry-finale-ryan-murphy-season-2_n_1166021.html Clues as to what will happen in Season 2. I'm surprised, to say the least!
I saw this yesterday and I'm disappointing because I really liked this story line, but I'm sure it would get old by season two. I mean how many times can the Harmons scare away nice people? I had thought maybe some asshole people would occasionally move in, so this whole new story line each season makes way more sense.

I was so hoping that someone in the house would save Ben! I also wanted to know who Constances fourth child was! Michael perhaps? At least they uncovered Violet's body, but I don't recall them mentioning the exterminator. Did see him helping drive the family out of the house so I guess he's a "good" ghost. Loved that the Harmons wound up happy. Seems like Ben had some great intentions as well as some premonitions although I guess he was a bit off with them. LOVE Miora! Will miss seeing what Constance will be getting up to, but I guess we know how the kid turns out.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I saw this yesterday and I'm disappointing because I really liked this story line, but I'm sure it would get old by season two. I mean how many times can the Harmons scare away nice people? I had thought maybe some asshole people would occasionally move in, so this whole new story line each season makes way more sense.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking it would be like too -- just gets too formulaic -- but it's a big risk, to ask the audience to invest in a particular storyline and characters and then to keep rebooting. I have no idea what comes next; I'm interested in seeing what they decide to do for Season #2. They need to hit the opening of Season #2 pretty hard, to maintain the trust level with the audience.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Okay, I was just watching again, and I really like the feel of this one for the finale, especially if we're not coming back to this particular family/story. There are just enough hints, seeing that Michael indeed is the Bad Seed/AntiChrist/Damien figure, and she sees him as "destined for greatness." That's kind of an interesting idea if he really is supposed to be the Anti-Christ...like she sees him as having such an important role in the destiny of mankind, even if it's terrible. I noticed that Constance's neck appeared to be broken when the hairdresser removed her scarf...and there was a close-up of it and a sound effect for it. We were supposed to notice it. So I guess that Constance is dead, too, though I'm not sure if she always was, and if the rules are different for her (maybe because this has always been her role?).

I really wanted to know more about Moira's life and her past, but I guess we'll never know it, unless Ryan Murphy decides to do some sort of release that reveals more canon information. I haven't heard that he will, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did. I want to know the backstory with the creepy ginger twins, too...they were probably the scariest characters in the whole show, b/c we didn't know. Strange that more wasn't revealed about the Infantata, as far as the power he was implied to have per Murphy's interviews.

I'm glad to see the Harmons together and at peace, and dedicated to making sure nothing bad happens to another family in that house. I liked the black comedy feel of this one, b/c it makes you feel a little better about leaving the story where it lies, even with the Constance/Michael stuff as it stands.

I like that the cast will mostly be back, playing different characters. I love the idea of a theatre company, of sorts, on television. I like this cast, even if the characters aren't always likable.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, I was just watching again, and I really like the feel of this one for the finale, especially if we're not coming back to this particular family/story. There are just enough hints, seeing that Michael indeed is the Bad Seed/AntiChrist/Damien figure, and she sees him as "destined for greatness." That's kind of an interesting idea if he really is supposed to be the Anti-Christ...like she sees him as having such an important role in the destiny of mankind, even if it's terrible. I noticed that Constance's neck appeared to be broken when the hairdresser removed her scarf...and there was a close-up of it and a sound effect for it. We were supposed to notice it. So I guess that Constance is dead, too, though I'm not sure if she always was, and if the rules are different for her (maybe because this has always been her role?).

I missed that completely, arrrg! I mean, one of the big questions has always been why Constance as a living human could move without fear among the ghosts; if she is dead, that would answer that question, although we've still got to question how she can leave the main house's grounds to live next door. Did she ever go down to the police station or elsewhere even further than the house?

I really wanted to know more about Moira's life and her past, but I guess we'll never know it, unless Ryan Murphy decides to do some sort of release that reveals more canon information. I haven't heard that he will, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did. I want to know the backstory with the creepy ginger twins, too...they were probably the scariest characters in the whole show, b/c we didn't know.

What, the young boys who died in the pilot? Yes, we don't know anything about them except how they died.

I like that the cast will mostly be back, playing different characters. I love the idea of a theatre company, of sorts, on television. I like this cast, even if the characters aren't always likable.

I hope they can pull that off. I think it's a neat idea to try to implement; it's just that it can be difficult. I remember when the Monty Python cast tried to pull it off -- the "A Fish Called Wanda" cast tried to do a follow up ("Dangerous Creatures" or something?) set in a zoo, same cast, all different characters, and it just was not nearly as good.

F

figsfiggyfigs

jessica-lange.jpg

I googled some pictures. It seems like it is her normal spinal cord. It just protrudes a little more than it should, which is common. I could be wrong, and they could have emphasized the size of the bump on the back of her neck.

She really was extraordinary beautiful young. Just stunning.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION], would you want Constance in your face for eternity? lol

I re watched it and didn't hear or see anything out of the ordinary. I think YRIW is correct and that is just how her neck looks.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
would you want Constance in your face for eternity? lol

ROFL!

So that's her angle, is it? "Don't kill me, or you'll NEVER be rid of me!"

I rewatched it and didn't hear or see anything out of the ordinary. I think YRIW is correct and that is just how her neck looks.

It makes sense, since she otherwise fits the normal "living human" pattern and doesn't follow the rules of the dead in the story.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Unless Ryan Murphy divulges more info, we probably won't have any clues until the dvd's are released, which I fully intend to purchase! Smart to keep stringing us along and since I thoroughly enjoyed the first season, I'll happily follow and wait for nibbles!

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I'll see if I can find the clip. I went back and watched a couple of times, and there is a closeup on her neck looking quite a bit more jacked-up than usual, and a sting from the music at that point, like "LOOK!"

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Re watched again and I still didn't hear or see anything unusual about her neck other than the way it's naturally shaped. Also, her hair didn't look much different after she had it done. lol

My prediction for season 2 will be a prison in either Virginia or Florida, where spooky things happen. Constance mentioned Virgina many times and Florida was also mentioned where Viv's sister lives.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Re watched again and I still didn't hear or see anything unusual about her neck other than the way it's naturally shaped. Also, her hair didn't look much different after she had it done. lol

I happened to watch it this morning, just to see the episode again, and I noted the quick flash scene that lulah was referring to -- I can see why she might have thought what she did, but it's literally just a split second and I couldn't quite tell whether it was purposeful or not.

My prediction for season 2 will be a prison in either Virginia or Florida, where spooky things happen. Constance mentioned Virgina many times and Florida was also mentioned where Viv's sister lives.

That's possible, if they were attempting to foreshadow. The whole Croatoa plotline was in Virginia; and they never said they were stuck in the current day or current century, so they could feasibly do a season in another timeframe for all we can expect.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
we watched the entire first season and have complained the whole time that we're not sure why we're watching it because both of us dislike all of the characters and the only part we really perk up for is the very beginning where it shows someone else dying in the house :laugh: Then again, we keep watching the Walking Dead despite the fact that we dislike most of those characters as well... maybe we're television masochists :doh:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Another article:
http://news.yahoo.com/essay-american-horror-story-cliches-genius-121304975.html

One of the better lines:
"If it were possible to take a classic early '60s camp horror movie, feed it massive amounts of cocaine, then turn it into a basic cable drama, the result might look like this," Seitz wrote last month.

I've never had coke, but if this is what it feels like.... zowie.

we watched the entire first season and have complained the whole time that we're not sure why we're watching it because both of us dislike all of the characters and the only part we really perk up for is the very beginning where it shows someone else dying in the house :laugh: Then again, we keep watching the Walking Dead despite the fact that we dislike most of those characters as well... maybe we're television masochists :doh:

ha ha, maybe!

Maybe there's a line between characters you don't like and find boring vs characters you don't like but for some reason are still compelling.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't think about typing them till earlier today!

Hayden - xSFJ
Ben - ENFx
Vivien - IxFx
Violet - INTx, 4w5
Tate - xNFP
Constance - ESxJ
Addie - ESxP
Nora Montgomery - ESFJ
Dr. Montgomery - INTP
Moira - ISFx
Travis - ESFP
Chad - ESFJ