• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people like rock music?

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
that is precisely the point :)

my answer to you is the same as to Lady X. whichever subgenre you like and why will suffice as an answer

Ugh That's kinda hard, I like different types of rock for different reasons. I like music in general because of the different emotions it creates in me. I like lovey dovey sappy rock because I like to be lovey dovey. I like dark stuff (eg. types of black metal, grunge) to take you to a dark place, it sort of has this forbidden fruit feel to it. A lot of other types of rock I like because it's fun and gives me this sense of elation (free bird, power metal, the list is pretty long).

These explanations are definitely not limited to rock though. I like jazz hip hop because it makes me feel relaxed too. I'm not sure there's anything specific about rock that I like. I just like exploring different emotions and music is the perfect way to do that. I don't really understand why anyone would enjoy music if it doesn't get them emotionally involved, personally.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
that is precisely the point :)

my answer to you is the same as to Lady X. whichever subgenre you like and why will suffice as an answer

Ugh That's kinda hard, I like different types of rock for different reasons. I like music in general because of the different emotions it creates in me. I like lovey dovey sappy rock because I like to be lovey dovey. I like dark stuff (eg. types of black metal, grunge) to take you to a dark place, it sort of has this forbidden fruit feel to it. A lot of other types of rock I like because it's fun and gives me this sense of elation (free bird, power metal, the list is pretty long).

These explanations are definitely not limited to rock though. I like jazz hip hop because it makes me feel relaxed too. I'm not sure there's anything specific about rock that I like. I just like exploring different emotions and music is the perfect way to do that. I don't really understand why anyone would enjoy music if it doesn't get them emotionally involved, personally.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What about prog rock Elf-boy? You might like that if you're such a classical music fan. It's anything but simple: it has that elevated, epic feel about it and complex structure that might be more appealing to you.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=646KtkEcPm8"]Pink Floyd - Echoes Part I [/YOUTUBE]

Ponyboy

Insert witty line here...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I like rock music because when opera radio stations call October "Rocktober" it just doesn't have the same appeal.
Plus you can't really do this
19.gif
to opera. (I should note that I actually do listen to opera as well)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you shake certain parts or just go for it all at once?
Certain parts -- and then you do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around :wizfreak:

Also: [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION], you should have a listen to [MENTION=10431]Burning Rave[/MENTION]'s links. That was a good variety -- although it was almost entirely recent rock, and the sort of rock to be on rock radio and not hit radio. (I got warm fuzzies when I saw "It's Been A While" in there :wub: Brings back memories...)

I also agree with [MENTION=4894]animenagai[/MENTION] about different types of rock appealing to me for different reasons*, and I agree with [MENTION=5871]Southern Kross[/MENTION] about prog rock being a good possibility. Here's some more prog for you to try out:
[YOUTUBE="zqx_egzW6js"]Celtic-ish prog[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE="CN11bI1_sZo"]Anglican prog[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE="X84ZHSj2JnQ"]Fascist prog[/YOUTUBE]

Also, if you like operatic vocals, there are a lot of operatic symphonic metal bands out there, with opera singers doing lead vocals. Trying to think of some... Obviously Evanescence is the most mainstream of them, but there are more. (There's also the soundtrack to "Repo! the Genetic Opera", which I don't like but I know a lot of theatre types who do.)

*an abridged version of my personal list:
- Alt-rock/alt-metal/grunge (e.g. Soundgarden, Seether, Tool), because everyone had their go-to genre when they were alienated middle schoolers, and that was mine. It appealed to me then because of the rage and resentment (I related to it and found it cathartic); also, I had friends who listened to it too, and I found my local rock station to be the most reliably appealing station in town. Now I listen to it for a lesser version of the previous reason (i.e. I can still be resentful and angry but not so much anymore), as well as nostalgia. EDIT: It has also consistently appealed to me because it is the exact opposite of what appeals to me least in music: sappy/cheesy ballads. I can stand most music, but I honest to God want to gag when people play me Celine Dion, etc.
(Side note: Even the bad stuff of that genre (e.g. Shinedown, Nickelback) appeals to me, because if I'm going to listen to music with my brain shut off, I'd rather that it be bad rock, than bad rap. Bad rock doesn't offend me in the same way that bad hit radio does.
- Progressive rock (e.g. Yes) and progressive metal (e.g. Tool). I just love how creative and complicated it is. I love that it pushes boundaries, I love that the lyrics are so well-thought-out and the time signatures change and the musicianship is so consistently impressive.
- Certain indie rock, because of songwriting and creativity. e.g. I like Sufjan Stevens because of his instrumentation and because he's the only good Christian rock musician that I know of; the others ime are generic and horribly boring.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like rock music because when opera radio stations call October "Rocktober" it just doesn't have the same appeal.
Plus you can't really do this
19.gif
to opera. (I should note that I actually do listen to opera as well)

yeah, but to opera you can move like this. if you move like an opera singer to contemporary music, people just call you a snob, but I don't think there is anything snobby about wanting to move like a diva =P

KDude

You know you can like both opera and rock, right? Just ask Freddie Mercury.

Music is just intelligent arranged noise. Some more intelligent than others. Learn how to play an instrument (if you don't.. and I assume you don't.. most people who prefer specific genres don't), and you'll see the arrangements behind many varying pieces as being similar. A C note, a chorus, and a bridge will always be what they are, no matter how they're presented. It's the same systems at work underneath.

Ponyboy

Insert witty line here...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
You know you can like both opera and rock, right? Just ask Freddie Mercury.

I was all prepared to argue but you just ruined it with this win! Oh well, rock on (or whatever your choice is)!! :)

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
different types of music appeal to different personalities, internal beliefs and cultures. I'm wondering what the personal traits of those more likely to like rock music are.

are you sure that you've not started taking these typology systems a little too seriously?

On the other hand you have the potential to be one of those, unfortunately, many scientists making inane biased studies.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
are you sure that you've not started taking these typology systems a little too seriously?

On the other hand you have the potential to be one of those, unfortunately, many scientists making inane biased studies.

I never said anything about typology systems, but let's face it, your average rap listener probably has a noticeably different personality from your average classic rock listener. music is a tool of expression, so logically what it expresses would have different appeal to different personalities, though not necessarily different typology classifications. for instance, I am an ENFP, but most of the people I share most in common with in terms of musical tastes are TJs :)

KDude

I never said anything about typology systems, but let's face it, your average rap listener probably has a noticeably different personality from your average classic rock listener. music is a tool of expression, so logically what it expresses would have different appeal to different personalities, though not necessarily different typology classifications. for instance, I am an ENFP, but most of the people I share most in common with in terms of musical tastes are TJs :)

What is the "average"? Y'know, the first album I ever bought was Licensed to Ill actually. I was 9. Then three years later, I kept "Die, Die My Darling" on a loop.

My friends are the same way. One of my good friends used to collect some of the crappiest homemade punk albums in 45 vinyl form. As he got older, he became a DJ, and does a lot turntable stuff, and mixes with a lot hip hop people. And I think he knows the lyrics to every [good] hip hop song out there. It's almost annoying. Sometimes you just want to listen and not hear someone always sing next to you. Point being though, a lot of people are like us. Just fans of music. It becomes even more the case among musicians. Do you think someone like the RZA would be who he was if he had his head in one hole? The guy will drop The Fall, Danny Elfman, and KRS-1 in one sentence.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4

Im not sure that I understand this notion. But who am I to judge. Carry on

KDude

Me either. I know another ETJ who's a big hip hop fan, but he's funny for his liking for old 80s rock too. I bought his little kid a Def Leppard shirt. No complaints.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What is the "average"? Y'know, the first album I ever bought was Licensed to Ill actually. I was 9. Then three years later, I kept "Die, Die My Darling" on a loop.

My friends are the same way. One of my good friends used to collect some of the crappiest homemade punk albums in 45 vinyl form. As he got older, he became a DJ, and does a lot turntable stuff. And I think he knows the lyrics to every [good] hip hop song out there. It's almost annoying. Sometimes you just want to listen and not hear someone always sing next to you. Point being though, a lot of people are like us. Just fans of music. It becomes even more the case among musicians. Do you think someone like the RZA would be who he was if he had his head in one hole? The guy will drop The Fall, Danny Elfman, and KRS-1 in one sentence.

I suppose my answer was Fi/Te motivated and probably not meet Ti approval (being specific and precise). I was only making a very general example to illustrate a point, precisely defining what average was would not have served my purposes.
PS: I used to be a voice major and it's certainly been true of most of the musicians I've met/worked with. competition between performing artists has much more to do with the fans than the performers themselves. most of the time the actual musicians all love each other. for example, people think Lady Gaga thinks she's better than Madonna, but in all probability I bet Lady Gaga loves Madonna, similar to how Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were life long friends on top of being rivals.

KDude

I suppose my answer was Fi/Te motivated and probably not meet Ti approval (being specific and precise). I was only making a very general example to illustrate a point, precisely defining what average was would not have served my purposes.
PS: I used to be a voice major and it's certainly been true of most of the musicians I've met/worked with. competition between performing artists has much more to do with the fans than the performers themselves. most of the time the actual musicians all love each other. for example, people think Lady Gaga thinks she's better than Madonna, but in all probability I bet Lady Gaga loves Madonna, similar to how Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were life long friends on top of being rivals.

And both Madonna and Gaga are good examples of well rounded musicians, despite being famous for pop. A lot of Madonna's early music was from the late NYC rock scene, once punk and new wave were getting popular. Some of those songs are really good. And around the time "Music" came out, she was really cool in an interview I saw once.. where she was re-learning how to play guitar again. Gaga is a former Juliard student, but with a liking for Burlesque, Queen, German Industrial, straight pop..among other things. She's just got her own collection of tastes that can't be singled down. Which is what I'm trying to say about many people.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

okay, I'll use opera for example. opera generally communicates strength, integrity and passion and most of the people I've met who like opera tend to notice these traits and vibe with them too. most of my acquaintances who are opera fans are unusually confident, passionate and carry themselves with a sense of nobility. there tends to be a certain extravagance and desire to be regal that I very rarely see in other people. it's not that they're snobs, it's just who they are