• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Favourite TV Shows

R

Riva

Share with us and recommend.

Even if you don't want to recommend, just share.

Also,

Mention why you like it/them.

To mods - if this thread exists please merge.

R

Riva

Riva's list

The Wire -

This is most probably the best show I've ever seen and you've probably never seen if you don't have this in your list. Nothing in it, isn't realistic. (Though I prefer to watch unrealistic shows.)

The show covered themes such as Police, detective work, office politics, Politics, media, childhood school issues etc in ways that no other show has ever covered.

The ending was the best ending I've yet seen.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
the wire, the sopranos, mad men, golden girls, freaks and geeks, six feet under, twin peaks, true blood, shameless, weeds, dexter, misfits, californication, seinfeld, parks and recreation, sex and the city, degrassi, louie, community, eastbound and down, skins, in treatment, jersey shore (yeah yeah judge all you want haters), daria, arrested development

kinda in order but not really. but yeah the wire is amazing. the sopranos is a close second.

KDude

The X-Files is probably still my favorite show, but it's nothing new. Ahem.. and umm.. Xena. (Oh to hell with the small text. She's like the most badass character to ever be on TV).

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Current shows:

Raising Hope: I just caught up on this show on Netflix, and I'm so glad I did. The cast is all brilliantly funny, with no weak links. A sitcom with both bite and heart.

The Walking Dead: Also just caught up with this one on Netflix. Lots of zombie gore, but the real story is survival. I like the suspense, the what-if factor.

American Horror Story: Crazy hodgepodge of horror traditions and real-life serial killer lore, but well-acted and genuinely creepy. Dark, but not too dark for me yet.

Downton Abbey: Series Two is being aired in the UK now, and I've been downloading it because I can't wait. Lots of good Upstairs, Downstairs/Gosford Park servants and the elite interplay, and lots of good old fashioned miniseries drama. The oldest daughter is sort of channeling Scarlett O'Hara this season. Watch the first series on Netflix. You'll be hooked, even if you don't like period drama.

Louie: Louis CK's series on FX is a comedy, but it's not a sitcom, and Louis is not your typical hero. He doesn't win most of the time, and sometimes it's more about the slice-of-life, "huh" moments that happen to all of us. It feels like real life, if we were all the funniest standup performing today. He also cares not one bit for continuity, which makes you focus on the situation rather than relationships and backstory. The constant is Louie's relationship with his kids. His mother has been played by a couple of different actresses, and sometimes she's a saint and sometimes she's a selfish witch. Each story is its own little self-contained play. Also on Netflix and hulu.

The Riches: Not currently on-air, a casualty of the writer's strike a few years ago, but worth mentioning because you can catch the whole series on Netflix. Follows a traveler (gypsy) family as they separate from the camp and step into another family's identity. Full of suspense, great acting and humor. I wish there were more episodes!

MBTI Type
INTJ
All time:

The Simpsons: The most fully realized world in the history of TV, infinite re-watchability, and more flat-out laughs than any other show.

The Twilight Zone: Well-constructed stories (even if the dialogue is a bit stilted and dated), originality, suspense, best integration of good story with message.

Letterman: Originality, dry wit, creativity, and a late-career ability to speak for everyman on serious topics. My comedy guru.

Cheers: The best sitcom ever, IMO. Mixed comedy and heart flawlessly. Humor came from character. Came the closest of any show to making me feel like I knew the characters.

Currently:

Community: Started out okay, but really found its groove as a sort of character troupe that parodies various TV tropes and genres. Insanely imaginative and has an edge, but not at the expense of likeable characters.

Louie: Pretty much what Tallulah said. I really like that the episodes don't all have to be structured the same, and can explore a moment in time for the whole episode. For instance, one recent episode focused entirely on a group of punks harassing Louie and a date at a doughnut shop and how that exposes people's real feelings. It's a comedy in name, but sometimes there aren't very many laughs. It's always compelling, though.

30 Rock: Hilarious and pretty accurate in its portrayal of the entertainment business. Great acting by the leads.

Chuck: Just plain fun, with great romantic tension. It's like cotton candy. You won't remember it the next day, but it's delicious while you're having it.

Pawn Stars: Addictive! It's like a low-rent Antiques Roadshow that focuses on a Las Vegas pawnshop and the stuff people bring in. The items are interesting, but the real draw is the interplay of the grandfather, father, son, and son's doofus friend who run the place.

Ponyboy

Insert witty line here...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Gotta agree with FMW on 30 Rock-I love that show (Pawn Stars is interesting too, as well as American Pickers)

I have been pleasantly surprised by The New Girl.

Hats off to Modern Family...my "Can't miss"show! :)

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Most of the series I like are the ones everyone else likes, plus True Blood which should be liked by no one.

I like some of the odd TLC/Discovery/NatGeo type fare as well, including: My Strange Addiction, Love/Lust, Toddlers and Tiaras, Dog Whisperer, and Taboo. There's a special place in my heart for one particular Animal Planet show called Fatal Attraction, which is basically about morons who acquire exotic animals as pets and get eaten by them. :thumbup:

There is also some show I like, I've seen a couple of time, but whose name I can never remember. They take a skinny person and a fat person. Over the course of the day, the skinny person has to follow fat person's general dietary schedule, and vice versa. It's cool because it takes into consideration that the lifestyle of the anorexic model is just as damaging as the hamham with a daily caloric intake over 15,000. It's hysterical because the two people generally freaking HATE each other by the end of breakfast and are fucking awful to each other for most of the day.

R

Riva

Also,
The Mentalist
How I met your Mother
Monk
House
The Psych (Whaaaaaaaaat?)
True Blood

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Psych- Because watching a sympathetic douchebag and his hapless pal trying to BS their way out of absurd situations is usually pretty hilarious.

The Walking Dead- It's everything I like about seedy zombie flicks on a grand scale. Plus, there's something addictive about the survival aspect of the situation. You can't help but imagine yourself in that position, and wonder if you would hold up....or get eaten, fast.

Project Runway- So shoot me, I've been following this show since Season 2. I'm seriously pissed at this season and the inept production team and can already smell who the winner is going to be from a mile away, but I still hold fond memories of the Christian Sirianos and Seth Aarons of seasons past.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
(still on the air)

Fringe
Speculative fiction based on theoretical possibilities, and a mad scientist thats both likable and believable, whats not to love? :) The character and plot development over each season has also been pretty good.

Big Bang Theory
Comedy for geeks and nerds with likeable characters.

Person of Interest
Its a new show, but I really like the idea behind it, and so far the main characters are likable. Its like a good action/adventure movie on a smaller scale with each episode.

The Mentalist
The personalities of the the characters and their interaction with each other is what sets this apart from other crime dramas for me.

Mythbusters
They keep coming up with interesting ideas to test.

Penn and Teller Tell a Lie
An interesting believe it or not type show. Lots of amazing stuff (most of it real, but one featured item per episode is a lie (they tell you which one at the end).

(not on the air)

Battlestar Galactica (the re-imagined series)
I was a bit disapointed with the ending, but it was an epic story driven drama in a sci-fi setting. The character development and interaction is what sets this apart from other sci-fi series for me.

Game of Thrones
IMO, season 1 has been an excelent translation from book to TV. I'd still recommend reading the book, but I did not feel there were any real glaring ommissions from the books, and it was great to see some of my favorite characters brough to life on TV.

Firefly and Dollhouse are also shows I enjoyed a lot when they were on the air.

(Shows I sometimes watch, mostly in syndication, but sometimes new episodes if the TV is on at the right time)

Criminal Minds
NCIS
CSI: NY
Monk
House

V

violaine

Just finished Luther. And Sherlock. Loved both of them and can't wait for the next installments.

I loved Misfits, Battlestar Galatica, Bored to Death, Eastbound and Down and I quite like True Blood, Game of Thrones, Portlandia and always like watching Real Time w Bill Maher.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Desperate Housewives
Skins
The Mentalist
Bones
Dexter

Will elaborate once I'm out of class

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I swear I've answered this on here before.

The Wire is my favorite show ever.

Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones are my favorite on-going dramas, probably.

Comedy: Arrested Development and Mr. Show are both awesome.

Best ongoing: Archer, Louis (which is almost its own genre), Community, and Parks and Rec.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Yeah, the wire is massively awesome, Breaking bad g .. looks at Zpower: stop liking what I LIKE!
*grumbles*
Yeah so Archer, the Wire (my favorite cop show ever and they avoid the 'we have magic science' CSI bs)
Well the CSI magic stuff is also a useful tool to focus on the investigation without going into 'boring minutia' but a show like the Wire shows us that looking at the very common place everyday 'lives' of cops and gangsters and break away from the usual formula can be so much more rewarding.

Breaking bad was really cool but they pretty much exhausted Jessy's character in my opinion and I don't find his current evolution believable. He's just too gullible, drama prone and stupid just for the sake of creating a plot.

Firefly is probably my favorite sci fi show.
Charlie Jade was that intriguing Canadian show about a PI switching between alternative histories. And Filipowich did a great job on his character of 01 Boxer.

Arrested development is hilarious!

Lots more but that's all for now

N

NPcomplete

Shows I love:
Doctor Who, Firefly, Sherlock, Being Human, Misfits, Mythbusters, Heroes (only season 1 :tongue:)

Shows I like:
House, The Mentalist, LOST, Person of Interest, Bones, Dexter

I enjoy those shows because of the engaging plots and the characters. I like sci-fi, science, technology, wit and those traits are very present in those shows. I'm too lazy to expound more...:laugh:

(There are some other shows that I have yet to check out so this list may or may not grow in the future.)

So It Goes

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm starting to really like Workaholics on Comedy Central. All my favorites for this past year have been Dexter, Breaking Bad, Louis and Game of Thrones. I do think, however, that some of the Dexter episodes can be lame, but I love the show in general. Some my other favorites are The Office, South Park, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Seinfeld, DBZ, Daria, King of the Hill, Freaks and Geeks, and so on.

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Wilfred-
Elijah Wood is a suicidally depressed ex-lawyer who suddenly sees his neighbor's dog as a mischievous, pot smoking Australian guy in a fuzzy dog suit. Disturbingly poignant hi-jinks ensue.

Louie-
For the reasons stated. It's great.

Adventure Time With Finn and Jake-
Unreasonably good writing and style. Brings unfiltered imagination into my life every morning.

Also Misfits and Important Things with Demetri Martin. And Firefly.