• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sea shanties! Yarrrr!

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you folks like sea shanties? :party2:
I know there are at least me and heart on here that loves 'em ;)

Here are a few examples of my own favourites!

Rolling down to old Maui
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apzxKIacFK0
Bound for South Australia
YouTube - South Australia
The Ryans and the Pittmans (Rant and roar)
YouTube - We'll Rant and We'll Roar
Barrett's Privateers
YouTube - Ode to Nova Scotia
Punk version of "Farewell to Nova Scotia"
YouTube - The Real McKenzies - Farewell To Nova Scotia
Haul away Joe
YouTube - Haul Away Joe - Greg Hastings and The Mucky Duck Bush Band

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ya, I like a lot of music like that, would be nice to find some CD quality versions of music like that (whenever I find stuff like it, its bootleg type stuff). Anyone know of any bands that have their own CDs of that kind of music, or for that matter know of any good sources of MIDI files of that type of music (I used to have a couple good caribean sounding MIDI files but lost them a long time ago). Part of the appeal to me is the story telling aspect and part is the instruments and the feeling of the music itself like just hearing it can transport your mind to another place and change your mood.

Its not quite the same as the traditional stuff, but you might like Tempest who are more celtic folk rock, but they have a few songs that have a similar feel to them.

Captain Kidd (sample)
Captain Morgan (sample)
Captain Ward (sample)
More sampels can be found on their discography page.

It may be a bit cheesy, but I also like the soundtracks for the Monkey Island games (youtube searches will find those easily). I have not looked into them, but its possible that the Disney Pirates of the Caribbean movies may have soundtracks with good period music. (I just watched Pirates 3 a couple weeks ago, but I cant remember if it was period music or more orchestral stuff :))

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This stuff is indeed scarce. I've been able to find some, but most of the songs are made by artists who do other kinds of music for the most part, like irish folk music for an example.
Me and a few guys are going to start up a shanty band in the near-future, though. Hopefully start recording stuff after a while.
This far we're three or maybe four guys, but there should be at least 8. It's hard to find dudes with thick good beards and a taste in irish/shanty music that can do some serious shanty-singing :D

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hirsch, I officially love you! :wubbie:

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh, I just thought the forum needed a little salty flavour ;) The word "Sea shanty" only turned up ONCE. And that was our previous conversation in the arts appreciation thread thingy :D