• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Identifying with fictional characters

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How often and how strongly do you identify with characters in the books you read, or the movies you see? Are these characters usually similar to you, different from you, or an example of what you would like to be/wish you were? What does it mean to identify with a fictional character - what do you see as the nature of the identification? Is the process useful in any way?

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
It's a funny thing, you know - I dunno if it's Elfboy's influence or anything, but, when I read a story, especially one with a large cast, I keep asking myself, "which character do I identify with more?" or "which one of these characters most resembles me?". Kind of an odd thought process. :laugh:

Sometimes, though, there's some particular scene in a movie or sentence in a book that resonates a lot with me... It's a nice feeling, knowing I'm not that alien. :D

Lark

I can identify with the characters in books I read, I can read a book if a character differs from me in some respects, I'll give it a chance, but if those differences are too great then I'll lose interest and stop reading.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How often and how strongly do you identify with characters in the books you read, or the movies you see? Are these characters usually similar to you, different from you, or an example of what you would like to be/wish you were? What does it mean to identify with a fictional character - what do you see as the nature of the identification? Is the process useful in any way?

I've only really identified with a few characters in the past. And usually only on a few levels. When I relate a character to myself, I normally have an inkling that the author has an aspect of themselves or someone they know very well that also has those same resonating qualities- or some great insight into human nature- to be able to reach out to the audience well enough to resonate with them. I find it hard to believe that a character would really and truly hit home unless the author had some kind of deep understanding of the trait or set of traits he was talking about, to be able to recombine them into a new person. It's not useful as much as just confirming that we're all connected somehow.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I identify with Mickey Rourke's character in the movie Barfly, although I am not a poet, I do not have long stringy hair, I don't cavort with harlots, I'm not an alcoholic, and I don't live in the big city. And I have a job.

Perhaps Mickey Rourke's character represents my inner poet, my inner slob, my inner harlot-lover, my inner alcoholic, my inner big city-dweller, and my inner unemployable person.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's a funny thing, you know - I dunno if it's Elfboy's influence or anything, but, when I read a story, especially one with a large cast, I keep asking myself, "which character do I identify with more?" or "which one of these characters most resembles me?". Kind of an odd thought process. :laugh:

Sometimes, though, there's some particular scene in a movie or sentence in a book that resonates a lot with me... It's a nice feeling, knowing I'm not that alien. :D

I influenced you to think like that? guess I did something right :)

Little_Sticks

How often and how strongly do you identify with characters in the books you read, or the movies you see?

Pretty frequently.

Are these characters usually similar to you, different from you, or an example of what you would like to be/wish you were?

Usually they experience a situation in a similar manner to the way I have experienced something that no one in my external world cares about. At other times, these characters can take bad situations and make them better or into good situations; it helps see how things can be solved or entertain the faith that all problems can be solved.

At other times, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who makes mistakes, can be narrow-minded, but can also be brilliant in ways that others won't appreciate. Empathy is another one - a lot of times fiction helps show how things can be solved more efficiently with empathy. It's that strange desire to care to some extent that can't be rationalized...it is nice to see that instinct not being ignored or looked down upon, especially when empathy is not just about the self, but others as well. Its essence is the opposite of selfish.

What does it mean to identify with a fictional character - what do you see as the nature of the identification? Is the process useful in any way?

Yeah, so it validates my perceptions, reminds me more of what I am, what I care about, and why, whereas the real world doesn't really care, ends up seeing someone trying to be an individual as pretentious in itself or self-indulgent. But that's the real pretentious.

Turtledove

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hm...I say that a fictional character a person can relate to means that the author, script writers, artists, etc. has a good grasp on human nature and can develop characters that are relatable and may reflect themselves. I know that's off topic, but whatever...
Maybe not as much in books. I relate more to characters from shows, movies, and video games than anything. Many of them are people that I identify physically or personality wise. I think it means that there are people out there that makes me feel better about myself.
Now there are male characters that makes me want to glomp because they are like ideal type I would like in a mate because I'm weird like that...

KDude

There's usually a character I identify with in any story.. some only because of small traits that I might focus on. Some moreso. Never really physically though (Although some kids made fun of me when I was young and said I looked like Ichabod Crane. So that sucked).

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A lot of characters that I "identify with" aren't all that similar to me at all, but I can see where they're coming from. Which is rarer than you'd think, because I tend to have a problem with "illogical" characters in movies/books/TV -- not that they're illogical but that thinking that is my first instinct, because I can't relate to them. (This is much more of a problem for me with female characters than male characters, and 99% of the time the problem is with romantic heroines, in movies or books.) So when I really relate to a character's thought processes easily, that's a moment to be savored.

Almost always, the characters I identify with are thinkers -- and usually introverted thinkers. Often they're moody and dark, and usually they're the love interest to the character that I'm SUPPOSED to identify with. :laugh: e.g. Mr. Rochester from "Jane Eyre".

The only character that I've read/seen and gone "That is ME" was Hermione Granger. :yes: Which makes sense, since for the entire series she was roughly my age, similar appearance (not to Emma Watson, but to the description in the book), just as academic and perfectionistic, tough, assertive... and xSTJ.

Jack427

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What about video game characters?

KDude

lol.. i identify with Leliana from Dragon Age. Except I'm not a cute redhead. More about her past worldiness, violence, and the musician background. And then turning 180 to a boring, secluded religious life because deadly assassins were after her. Yeah, that all happened to me too. Kind of. Heh

Jack427

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I identify with Isaac Clarke from Dead Space. :) lol
lol.. i identify with Leliana from Dragon Age. Except I'm not a cute redhead. More about her past worldiness, violence, and the musician background. And then turning 180 to a boring, secluded religious life because deadly assassins were after her. Yeah, that all happened to me too. Kind of. Heh

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Beatrix from Final Fantasy IX.

EDIT: I guess I should elaborate... :laugh:
I relate to her because she is kind underneath a cold/facts-only exterior -- but shows her kindness fairly often. Characters like her often only show their kindness every once and a while, but with Beatrix you can see that she cares openly (but not in an Fe way) for those close to her (e.g. Garnet, Steiner). And she does this without losing any of her badassery OR her femininity!

I also relate to her thought processes when conflicted, i.e. Always doing your duty -- and if the duty you are given by others doesn't mesh well with your moral code, then you STILL do your duty, only it's the duty you assign yourself.

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
How often and how strongly do you identify with characters in the books you read, or the movies you see?

All the time. I don't have to, though; some stories don't have any characters I find myself nodding and saying "yeah, that's so me", but I still enjoy them.

Are these characters usually similar to you, different from you, or an example of what you would like to be/wish you were?

Characters that I identify with? Oh yeah, definitely similar; characters who present a mask to the outer world, but inside, tend to be secretive, dramatic, passionate, introspective, and cynical. Those are the characters I identify with the most, and that's me to a T. I also, 99% of the time, identify with the villains, or anti-heroes of the story far more than the regular heroes, as those characters tend to fit those criteria far more often. They almost always have a backstory similar to mine, though admittedly, theirs is more interesting (for now; I have quite a number of years to go, though ;)).

What does it mean to identify with a fictional character - what do you see as the nature of the identification? Is the process useful in any way?

It's more or less like I'd say "yeah, that's exactly what I'd do right there". It's almost like living vicariously through the character, and the more similar to you the character happens to be, the more you enjoy being in their shoes. It's pretty useful, if you find yourself identifying with the types of characters that have an interesting life, as it can inspire you to go and do the things you've found yourself dreaming of doing in real life.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I don't relate to fictional characters very often. So when I do, I tend to get really attached to that character.

I remember really, really relating to Harry Potter and never being able to figure out why. God knows I'm no hotheaded messiah. But there you have it. JK Rowling must have done something right.

Lark

I am not a fictional character. Although you can all identify with me if you like. I'm cool with that.

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's more or less like I'd say "yeah, that's exactly what I'd do right there". It's almost like living vicariously through the character, and the more similar to you the character happens to be, the more you enjoy being in their shoes. It's pretty useful, if you find yourself identifying with the types of characters that have an interesting life, as it can inspire you to go and do the things you've found yourself dreaming of doing in real life.

Hmmm. In my case, that could be dangerous. Some of the characters I relate to, one in particular, are not very healthy types. One of the characters I most strongly identify with is so unhealthy that I'm almost a little embarrassed. Yeah, it's an anti-hero, and most people identify with an anti-hero because we've all been victimized at least once in our lives and secretly enjoy the idea of retribution. But this is more than admiration of a character's badassery. It's personality, backstory, a whole bunch of things. At least I can safely say I'm healthier at this point - I haven't snapped and started killing people, for one thing. But I do have a rather pathetic history of turning that violence against myself. Ugh.