• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Identifying with fictional characters

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks for the thought-provoking comments. Yes, video game characters are fair game; I just won't know who you are talking about, since I don't play them.

I can identify with the characters in books I read, I can read a book if a character differs from me in some respects, I'll give it a chance, but if those differences are too great then I'll lose interest and stop reading.
I take it, then, that you identify primarily with characters who are like yourself. Do you find at least one such character in most books you read?

I've only really identified with a few characters in the past. And usually only on a few levels. When I relate a character to myself, I normally have an inkling that the author has an aspect of themselves or someone they know very well that also has those same resonating qualities- or some great insight into human nature- to be able to reach out to the audience well enough to resonate with them.
Interesting observation. Turtledove mentioned something similar. So identifying with a character for you has more to do with the author's skill than with any particular likeness between yourself and the character?

A lot of characters that I "identify with" aren't all that similar to me at all, but I can see where they're coming from. Which is rarer than you'd think, because I tend to have a problem with "illogical" characters in movies/books/TV -- not that they're illogical but that thinking that is my first instinct, because I can't relate to them. (This is much more of a problem for me with female characters than male characters, and 99% of the time the problem is with romantic heroines, in movies or books.) So when I really relate to a character's thought processes easily, that's a moment to be savored.

Almost always, the characters I identify with are thinkers -- and usually introverted thinkers. Often they're moody and dark, and usually they're the love interest to the character that I'm SUPPOSED to identify with. :laugh: e.g. Mr. Rochester from "Jane Eyre".
Same for me. I liked Mr Rochester as well. About the "illogical" characters: I wonder if they are easier to understand in fiction, where the reader is often privy to internal thoughts and feelings that remain hidden from us in real life interactions. We can understand them because we have their backstory, the context and motivation for their actions.

About Beatrice: do you relate to her because you think you are like her, or she embodies how you would like to be, or your "ideal person"?

Characters that I identify with? Oh yeah, definitely similar; characters who present a mask to the outer world, but inside, tend to be secretive, dramatic, passionate, introspective, and cynical. Those are the characters I identify with the most, and that's me to a T. I also, 99% of the time, identify with the villains, or anti-heroes of the story far more than the regular heroes, as those characters tend to fit those criteria far more often. They almost always have a backstory similar to mine, though admittedly, theirs is more interesting (for now; I have quite a number of years to go, though ;)).

It's more or less like I'd say "yeah, that's exactly what I'd do right there". It's almost like living vicariously through the character, and the more similar to you the character happens to be, the more you enjoy being in their shoes.
I sometimes also turn the tables and imagine what my favorite characters would do in my shoes. Your perspective is very similar to my own, especially the highlighted.

I have had this thread idea for some time now. I have always read voraciously, and from time to time have a very strong identification with a character. For me, it is almost a physical sensation, like my whole being is flooded by some imaginary current as the character-as-thought-form goes to ground through me. The effect is less strong with movies, I think because the sound and images leave less to my imagination than the bare words on a page. I am trying to understand this better.

I used to find it curious that the characters I related to in this way seemed so dissimilar, and often quite unlike me. I was looking at external variables then, though: occupation, age, family background, skill set, etc. When I started to study personality theories, however, I realized that what we shared was a common way of seeing the world, of communicating, of solving problems and dealing with adversity. With some of my favorite antiheroes or villains, it is like seeing what I might have been had circumstances been different: "there but for the grace of God . . . "

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Same for me. I liked Mr Rochester as well. About the "illogical" characters: I wonder if they are easier to understand in fiction, where the reader is often privy to internal thoughts and feelings that remain hidden from us in real life interactions. We can understand them because we have their backstory, the context and motivation for their actions.
Perhaps. :thinking: I'm not entirely sure. I've been frustrated by "illogical" characters in books, too. On second thought -- my usual frustration has to do with the characters' emotional, impulsive reactions to things. Which is why I didn't relate to Jane Eyre, and why Harry Potter frustrated me so much in the fifth book ("I don't care that I have no information to back up my feelings! My opinion is still valid! *starts yelling at Hermione for being the only voice of reason in the book*"). Although I relate to some impulsive characters, too -- as long as their impulsive decisions are impulsive decisions that I might have made too -- or that I would have wanted to have made.
About Beatrice: do you relate to her because you think you are like her, or she embodies how you would like to be, or your "ideal person"?
A little of both. In terms of how she is as a person, I relate to her because I think I'm a lot like her -- although she's put in a lot of tough situations that I will never be in, so I don't know how I'd react (but I'd like to think I'd do what she does). In terms of her strength and intelligence in battle -- that's how I want to be. I have idolized "badass" characters for my entire childhood and young-adult-hood, and I idolize them even more when they're female. Typical female role models in movies can still really irritate me; their strength is Feeler strength, not Thinker strength, and I identify with Thinker strength.

I have had this thread idea for some time now. I have always read voraciously, and from time to time have a very strong identification with a character. For me, it is almost a physical sensation, like my whole being is flooded by some imaginary current as the character-as-thought-form goes to ground through me. The effect is less strong with movies, I think because the sound and images leave less to my imagination than the bare words on a page. I am trying to understand this better.
I think it's like a platonic version of falling in love. You really get to know them -- you feel like you understand every facet of who they are. You start to care. And you can't care about characters you don't identify with.

It's why fangirls and fanboys are so fanatical about their favorite characters. They identify with them to an extent that any "wrongs" done to the character, by a critic or a writer or another character, feel like a personal insult.

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
I sometimes also turn the tables and imagine what my favorite characters would do in my shoes. Your perspective is very similar to my own, especially the highlighted.

Oh, I definitely agree; I think the reason it's not as strong with characters in movies, is because you have much less time to be able to get in their heads as you do with a book, or even a TV series. It's the difference between imagining something and seeing it for yourself; at least on TV, you've been following the character for enough time to make a deeper connection with them.

I definitely relate to the physical sensation; it's stronger the more alike the character and I are, though it usually happens with any character I see a common trait in.

I used to find it curious that the characters I related to in this way seemed so dissimilar, and often quite unlike me. I was looking at external variables then, though: occupation, age, family background, skill set, etc. When I started to study personality theories, however, I realized that what we shared was a common way of seeing the world, of communicating, of solving problems and dealing with adversity. With some of my favorite antiheroes or villains, it is like seeing what I might have been had circumstances been different: "there but for the grace of God . . . "

Definitely relate to that. Most of the characters (and historical figures, as well!) that I've related to the most tended to be the same personality type as me. Same way of looking at the world, and all of that, plus it made lots of sense when they would act the way they did, even when it didn't make logical sense.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A lot of characters that I "identify with" aren't all that similar to me at all, but I can see where they're coming from. Which is rarer than you'd think, because I tend to have a problem with "illogical" characters in movies/books/TV -- not that they're illogical but that thinking that is my first instinct, because I can't relate to them. (This is much more of a problem for me with female characters than male characters, and 99% of the time the problem is with romantic heroines, in movies or books.) So when I really relate to a character's thought processes easily, that's a moment to be savored.

Almost always, the characters I identify with are thinkers -- and usually introverted thinkers. Often they're moody and dark, and usually they're the love interest to the character that I'm SUPPOSED to identify with. :laugh: e.g. Mr. Rochester from "Jane Eyre".

The only character that I've read/seen and gone "That is ME" was Hermione Granger. :yes: Which makes sense, since for the entire series she was roughly my age, similar appearance (not to Emma Watson, but to the description in the book), just as academic and perfectionistic, tough, assertive... and xSTJ.

Yes, that is likely because male characters are more likely to be TJs than female ones.

-----

I relate more to characters in books also, but there's not a character in everything I read that I see as similar to me. I'm less likely to relate to a character on TV than any other format. Relating for me is not the same as imagining myself as a character either, which I do very easily. The line between the two can be blurred also, as can relating to the real me vs the ideal me (some characters represent an ideal I have, not necessarily how I behave). Rarely can I say a character is a lot like me, but I tend to enjoy the books, movies, shows, songs even, where I can relate heavily to a character.

In fiction, a character I relate to immensely is Levin in Anna Karenina. In film, Amelie is a character that resonated with me on a level few do.

Troisi

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
I just recently watched Luther and although he isn't fictional, the portrayal of him in the movie really resonated with me.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
In general, I identify with most characters with ease. It's usually not difficult for me to put myself in others' shoes; that is, unless they are foolish and annoying. This may be more of a sin to me than being evil :BangHead: . I often enjoy the more complex villians or difficult, unpleasant characters, such as Daniel Plainview in There Will Be Blood. Repressed rage or misanthropy perhaps? :devil:

images

As for those I strongly identify with, they're usually very INFP/4-like: quiet and intense intellectuals, quirky/awkward and misunderstood outsiders, and female characters that aren't silly, emotional wrecks (they are rarer in fiction than you think); with the latter, I particularly identify if there is a strong sense that they feel (and think) a great deal more than they express - Anne Elliot in Persuasion for example. NF characters in general seem to appeal; the non-INFPs NFs often draw my interest because they are similar to me but possess desirable qualities I lack.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In general, I identify with most characters with ease. It's usually not difficult for me to put myself in others' shoes; that is, unless they are foolish and annoying. This may be more of a sin to me than being evil :BangHead: . I often enjoy the more complex villians or difficult, unpleasant characters, such as Daniel Plainview in There Will Be Blood. Repressed rage or misanthropy perhaps?
I wouldn't say I identify easily with most characters overall, but I can identify with some specific aspect of surprisingly many characters, even those not like me. It is when I identify with almost everything about a character that I feel the strong reaction I described above. This happens infrequently, usually for not more than one character per book/movie/series, and sometimes none at all.

Oh, I definitely agree; I think the reason it's not as strong with characters in movies, is because you have much less time to be able to get in their heads as you do with a book, or even a TV series. It's the difference between imagining something and seeing it for yourself; at least on TV, you've been following the character for enough time to make a deeper connection with them.
You have a point here. When I read, I do tend to reread (sometimes several times) passages involving these characters, and then reflect upon it between sittings, something not possible with a movie.

Definitely relate to that. Most of the characters (and historical figures, as well!) that I've related to the most tended to be the same personality type as me. Same way of looking at the world, and all of that, plus it made lots of sense when they would act the way they did, even when it didn't make logical sense.
Yes, I noticed that the characters I relate most to tend to be my type, inasmuch as we can assign a type to a fictional character. I didn't start off with that observation, though, because I didn't want this to turn into yet another "what type is that character" thread. I am more interested in the general phenomenon of relating to or seeing some aspect of yourself in a fictional character, and the kinds of impressions that makes on people. How they experience it, and what they do with the information/insight.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, that is likely because male characters are more likely to be TJs than female ones.
Tell me about it. :laugh: If it weren't for Hermione, and for Mulan (who at the very least was a Fi/Te heroine, if not a T heroine), I would have been hard-pressed to find a female fictional character I really related to as a child. I wish I had grown up with "The Princess and the Frog", because I really identify with Tiana (ISTJ), and she's such a great role model. :wub: Although on second thought, considering how much I looked up to action heroes/heroines even from an early age (at age 7 I wanted to be a cat burglar when I grew up), I doubt that Tiana would have been enough of a warrior to hold my sustained interest/admiration. Now, of course, I relate to her a lot more -- but then again we're about the same age, and both concerned with growing up, entering the workforce, making your dreams a reality.

You have a point here. When I read, I do tend to reread (sometimes several times) passages involving these characters, and then reflect upon it between sittings, something not possible with a movie.
I do this all the time. Especially scenes when a character has a very strong moment of catharsis; e.g. when an amnesiac character regains his memory, or when a previously stoic character suddenly explodes with emotion. There is no doubt in my mind that it's because of my Enneagram type. And it explains my deep connections with characters of types different from mine: e.g. Wolverine (ISTP), House (ENTP), Jason Bourne and Dexter Morgan (both IxTJ, varying depending on the movie/scene).

Mole

Permabanned
It's called the suspension of disbelief, and a movie or a book stands or falls on whether it succeeds in suspending our disbelief.

And identifying with the protagonist is a sign that our disbelief has been suspended.

I am hypnoidal so always identify with the protagonist, and for about fifteen minutes after a movie, I remain in character.

So when I invite someone to see a movie with me I explain I am hypnoidal and that for fifteen minutes after the movie, they should humour me and indulge me, and treat me as a small imaginative child.

I find it quite disconcerting to be expected to wake up immediately after a movie. And of course I love someone who will indulge me for fifteen minutes after a movie.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So you never identify with characters other than the protagonist, or with multiple characters? I almost never identify with the main protagonist; usually instead with a sidekick or antihero, or occasionally a villain. I understand the "staying in character" mindset, though I get it more after reading books. I can read for hours, and it is hard to come back to my own reality sometimes.

Engineer

Dependable Skeleton
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I very rarely identify with a character, but when I do, it's scary how similar they seem to me.
The most recent example that comes to mind is when I played through L.A. Noire. Cole Phelps is basically me. Maybe a bit more of my darker and less-logical side than I'd like, but seeing some of the flaws Phelps had actually led me to find those very same faults in myself. For example, he's always very self-assured and anxious to progress-- to a flaw, and he begins to believe the talk that he's a master detective, leading to a larger ego buildup. I'm the same way, I found out. And it was uncomfortable for me to come to terms with this, as I didn't particularly like some of his actions-- actions that I myself would have actually taken were I in his shoes.

I think to truly identify and connect with a character fully, you'd have to at least learn something about yourself through them that you didn't know before.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
So you never identify with characters other than the protagonist, or with multiple characters? I almost never identify with the main protagonist; usually instead with a sidekick or antihero, or occasionally a villain. I understand the "staying in character" mindset, though I get it more after reading books. I can read for hours, and it is hard to come back to my own reality sometimes.

I sometimes feel kind of drawn to less prominent characters... either because their backstory isn't fully explored or because I am, myself, a person who kind of avoids the spotlight. Either that, or they're just plain interesting. :D

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I read a book, or watch television or cinema, I do tend to look for characters that have similaities to how I think and react, but such characters are extremely rare (the only example that comes to mind is Megan Reeves from Numb3rs and even that is only more similar than most).

It is much more common to watch or read something and find characters that I feel something like "I respect or like the way this person thinks and/or acts" or being able to emphathize with villians that have been humanized by their writers. I think in many cases it is finding a character that values some of the same things as I do, but in some cases it is also feeling like its a character that I might be (or would like to be) like if I was more intelligent and/or more confident (the types of character I might play if I were still into pen and paper role playing). A few of these I think also represent my shadow functions.

A list of some of my favorite characters is as follows
Walter Bishop (Fringe)
Nina Sharp (Fringe)
Philip Broyles (Fringe)
Sheldon Cooper (The Big Bang Theory)
Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)
Amy Farrah Fowler (The Big Bang Theory)
Gaius Baltar (Battlestar Galactica)
Saul Tigh (Battlestar Galactica)
Topher Brink (Doll House)
Derrial Book (Firefly)
Patrick Jayne (The Mentalist)
Kimball Cho (The Mentalist)
Tyrion Lanister (A Song of Ice and Fire)
Varys (A Song of Ice and Fire)
Peter Baelish (A Song of Ice and Fire)
Davos Seaworth (A Song of Ice and Fire)

The significance of finding a fictional character that I relate to (even a little) is that it makes it easier to get immersed into the experience. If there are no characters that I relate to at all, then its a lot more difficult for me to enjoy the reading/watching experience. The Inheritance book series by Christopher Paolini was recommended to me by someoen who I normally have a lot in common with, but when I read the first book, I found myself constantly yelling in my mind at the stupidity of the main character (complete lack of emotional intelligence and ignorance of human nature) and because of that found it difficult to make it through the book - so I think that in turn points to emotional inteligence/understanding of human nature being a key factor in how much or little I relate to a character.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I connect with characters in movies and stories, although it doesn't mean I identify with them as "soul kin" per se -- i.e., the same kind of person as me. I can just usually find some aspect of each character (or more than one aspect) that I can connect with even if we're not really the same. If I didn't do this, I wouldn't feel anything about the story.

I did really resonate with a few characters though. The two I remember off the top of my head are Cole Seer ("The Sixth Sense") and Ricky Fitts ("American Beauty"). Cole, because he was a child in age but had experiences/insights that aged him beyond his years, isolating him from his peers; and feeling trapped, alone, anxious, and unable to articulate his experiences in a way that brought him back into the circle of humanity. Ricky, because he was once again a loner with a vision that stretched beyond the boundaries, living with two parents who he would have liked to connect with but who he knew would never understand him; someone who was capable of seeing light in the dark and beauty amid the misery; and again, someone who had to face the world alone, with only his own insight and competence to rely on. The core of those characters matched up with the core of my own experiences and perceptions.

Maybe (not as much, but still there) Charles Wallace Murray from "A Wrinkle in Time," too.

Now that I'm writing this, it's kind of interesting... they're all young characters in age who are mentally and intuitively far older, who basically are then isolated from their peers, and are forced to rely on themselves for navigation through life... since there's usually no one in their lives who cares about them OR if the person cares, they're still unable to help and so they're on their own. The world is an achingly beautiful yet lonely place.

ejcc said:
I think it's like a platonic version of falling in love. You really get to know them -- you feel like you understand every facet of who they are. You start to care. And you can't care about characters you don't identify with.

Interesting way to put it. (the bold)

If it matters, despite the fact I identify with few characters in toto, it IS like falling in love and is the same kind of feeling I have in regards to SX connection and desire, except in the story all I have to do is read and I am ensured a window into the character's soul. The end of the story, of course, even if it's a happy ending, to me is like a death or a breakup of sorts... I feel a palpable loss and ache because I know there is no more to the revelation of that character to me.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The significance of finding a fictional character that I relate to (even a little) is that it makes it easier to get immersed into the experience. If there are no characters that I relate to at all, then its a lot more difficult for me to enjoy the reading/watching experience. The Inheritance book series by Christopher Paolini was recommended to me by someoen who I normally have a lot in common with, but when I read the first book, I found myself constantly yelling in my mind at the stupidity of the main character (complete lack of emotional intelligence and ignorance of human nature) and because of that found it difficult to make it through the book - so I think that in turn points to emotional inteligence/understanding of human nature being a key factor in how much or little I relate to a character.
I am the same way. I enjoy books and movies much less when there are no characters I can really relate to. The second highlighted comment reminded me of my reaction when reading the Harry Potter books. I kept yelling in my mind at Harry for his questionable (to me) choices and inability to resist provocation. At least the series had other characters to whom I could more readily relate.

If it matters, despite the fact I identify with few characters in toto, it IS like falling in love and is the same kind of feeling I have in regards to SX connection and desire, except in the story all I have to do is read and I am ensured a window into the character's soul. The end of the story, of course, even if it's a happy ending, to me is like a death or a breakup of sorts... I feel a palpable loss and ache because I know there is no more to the revelation of that character to me.
Same here. I often reread books, or portions of books, for this reason, but it is not the same. It is sad to see a good book or series end.

To everyone:

A few people have already commented in this vein, but what have you learned through characters that you relate to? Do you try to learn deliberately through the reading experience this way, or do you just pick up insights without really trying?

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't usually pick up a novel with that intention in mind, but whenever I see a character that I have a lot in common with, I inevitably see myself trying to learn from the mistakes they've made in the story, or in their backstory.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I tend to identify with fictional characters more than real people.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Catwoman. When I saw Batman Return on TV at 7 or 8 years old, I identified so strongly with her... That was impressive and intense.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Catwoman. When I saw Batman Return on TV at 7 or 8 years old, I identified so strongly with her... That was impressive and intense.

I picture you more like one of the guys from Fast and the Furious :cool:
maybe it's the ISTP Sx/So