• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

KDude

Of course. In fact I'm playing a character like that right now. But a battle-mage who rations out Health/Stam/Magicka may not have enough magicka to conjure up master level spells on par with a mage by endgame (whenever... or wherever that is, considering the level scaling follows you from one grid on the map to the next).

I'll take your word for it. I don't know anything about magic.

OTOH though, I've seen complaints here and there that pure mages are difficult or suck.. that they almost feel forced to be hybrid to get by. So maybe they have more to complain about.

G

Ginkgo

I'll take your word for it. I don't know anything about magic.

OTOH though, I've seen complaints here and there that pure mages are difficult or suck.. that they almost feel forced to be hybrid to get by. So maybe they have more to complain about.

That could be part of the problem I mentioned, being a problem in itself, but my roommate is stun-locking mofos left, right, here and over yonder at early 40's with his High Elf Mage. For what that's worth. I haven't surpassed level 30 myself.

The game seems fairly easy compared to Oblivion in later levels. I remember being forced to repair my sharpened daedric longblades mid-battle fighting OP goblin warchiefs in Cyrodiil's dungeons. Such problems are absent in Skyrim.

KDude

Yeah, it's kind of easy. I play on Expert though, which gives a good balance. Master is a little too much.

I remember getting instantly owned in Morrowind a lot. That's not cool either.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
I figured that with my character on the Imperial's side, things will change. I mean, I guess any side you pick is probably the right choice in a way.. it depends more on you.

Or so I think.

Good point, and it remains to be seen how I feel after playing through the main story questline.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If it wasn't for the Thalmor, I'd side with the Imperial faction (their Jarls and would-be Jarls generally make better, not to mention less racist, administrators); after I heard about Hammerfall's success against the Thalmor, however, I decided that an independent Skyrim has a better chance against the Thalmor than a united Empire that lacks the will to fight.

That's why I eventually ended up siding with the Stormcloaks. Because of the Thalmor and because of Hammerfell's success against them. I don't like that they're a bunch of racist pricks, but at the same time, I understand their racism as a symptom of an underlying paranoia and fear of all outsiders (kinda like America during WWII with our Internment Camps or the Red Scare in the 50s). I think a new empire of men would probably be best forged through an alliance between Hammerfell and Skyrim.

Mostly, though, it's that the Imperials rolled over and allowed one of their core beliefs to be stomped on by a bunch of self-righteous elves. The Imperials and the Stormcloaks would probably agree that they both loathe the Thalmor, but the Stormcloaks would argue that it was the Imperials that rolled over like a bunch of dogs and shamed their ancestors. Especially given the fact that the mer have no desire for humans to be anything other than second-class, or lower, citizens. While I don't think the Empire at its might was perfect, I don't think the mer were exactly second class citizens. They both seemed to me like they were on equal ground and given equal opportunities.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I am level 58. I have maxed Smithing, Alchemy, Enchanting, Sneak, Pickpocket, Lockpicking, and almost have Archery mastered.

I have unlocked 17 words of power and cannot use a single one of them. I have pickpocketed 40,000 and 1 items.

My armor rating is 590 without a shield. With one, it's 673. If I want to hit bitches for x30 damage, it'll be 636.

I can carry 686 pounds max. If I want to backstab, reduce it to 649.

I can one-shot giants with a shot of my favorite weapon, the Ebony Bow. I can one-shot mammoths with a swipe of my dagger. I have not fought a dragon.

I have over 140k gold.

I am the 1%. Come at me bro.

TESV2011-12-1601-59-17-86.jpg

KDude

Good point, and it remains to be seen how I feel after playing through the main story questline.

Too bad this stuff doesn't matter much in the long run. Like, some continuation or effects on the world in a sequel. This is something that Mass Effect and Dragon Age do a little better.. and so far, Elder Scrolls hasn't done anything like that.

I have a theory that you'd "resurrect" a new human based power to rival the Thalmor either way, and that you and your allies are all aspects of Talos or something. So either way, it's win-win.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but Talos' human name was Talos Stormcrown. "Tullius" and "Stormcloack" sound like both. While you are a dragonborn, just like Talos. Maybe if either Tullius or Ulfric is coupled with your character, you make up some representation of Talos.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Too bad this stuff doesn't matter much in the long run. Like, some continuation or effects on the world in a sequel. This is something that Mass Effect and Dragon Age do a little better.. and so far, Elder Scrolls hasn't done anything like that.

Heh. At first it seemed like they were going to do that with Morrowind (a theocratic slave-empire on the brink of supernatural destruction that 'you' helped change for the better)....then they nuked the place. Of course, that might have driven the Argonian invaders out and saved Morrowind as a political entity in the long-term, I'm still unclear on the details and timeline.

On the subject of series irritations, I finally tried to follow up on the Forsworn conspiracy questline, and it was looking very interesting....then I came across a quest-breaking bug and had to go back to a previous save. I guess I'll try again in ten or so gameplay hours....

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Heh. At first it seemed like they were going to do that with Morrowind (a theocratic slave-empire on the brink of supernatural destruction that 'you' helped change for the better)....then they nuked the place. Of course, that might have driven the Argonian invaders out and saved Morrowind as a political entity in the long-term, I'm still unclear on the details and timeline.

On the subject of series irritations, I finally tried to follow up on the Forsworn conspiracy questline, and it was looking very interesting....then I came across a quest-breaking bug and had to go back to a previous save. I guess I'll try again in ten or so gameplay hours....
That sucks. What platform are you playing on? I didn't have any problems on the PC.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
That sucks. What platform are you playing on? I didn't have any problems on the PC.

I'm playing on the 360, and once its triggered there is no way of getting around that particular bug on the consoles. I'm just hoping I didn't do something earlier in the game that somehow causes the bug to repeat itself everytime that questline is attempted. This is the first serious bug I've run into, nothing so far on the level of the horribly bugged Oblivion Thieves Guild questline.

I think my wording may have given a mistaken impression, however; I didn't have to replay ten hours of gameplay, I just meant I'll try again later. My system for Elder Scrolls games is to save compulsively through ten-hour intervals, keep a permanent save file at the end of those intervals, and repeat untill I'm finished playing.

G

Ginkgo

I'm playing on the 360, and once its triggered there is no way of getting around that particular bug on the consoles. I'm just hoping I didn't do something earlier in the game that somehow causes the bug to repeat itself everytime that questline is attempted. This is the first serious bug I've run into, nothing so far on the level of the horribly bugged Oblivion Thieves Guild questline.

I think my wording may have given a mistaken impression, however; I didn't have to replay ten hours of gameplay, I just meant I'll try again later. My system for Elder Scrolls games is to save compulsively through ten-hour intervals, keep a permanent save file at the end of those intervals, and repeat untill I'm finished playing.

Yeah, after playing TES games for more than 5 years, and even noticing that each of them explicitly warned me about not saving, I do so at least every 10 minutes or so. However, when playing my warrior I became quite lazy knowing that I could pretty much sit down and sip tea while batting off multiple boss opponents.

jhoro115

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm a level 52 high elf mage sub thief, with a decent amount of levels racked up on my one handed skill. Finished the main quest, dark brotherhood, thieves guild and college of winterhold. Enjoying it immensely, although the PS3 lag can be a bit of a pain in the ass sometimes.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Well, I did the Civil War quests (both sides), and I chose the Stormcloacks for my non-evil (i.e. no Dark Brotherhood or evil Daedric quests) save file; Ulfric is a racist, narcissistic prick, but the Thalmor are much worse, and weakening Talos seems crucial to their plans to remake the world and remove the very concept of humanity from reality. When you factor in that the Empire is unlikely to gain strength with Thalmor militias free to roam around, it seems like the best option.

Besides, it seems to me that allowing a religious Inquisition* against the majority population of an entire country is actually worse than forcing a minority population of one province to live in ghettoes.

*and before someone brings up the supression of the Reachmen's native religion, all I can say is a.) the fate of the world was not dependent on their religion and b.) it was a human-sacrificing religion that directly strengthened wholly evil and magically powerful supernatural creatures, so real-world religious freedom just doesn't apply.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just picked this up last week and really enjoying it. Currently at High Hrothgar learning about the Shouts. Siding with the Stormcloaks at the moment but seriously thinking about the thieves guild/Dark brotherhood. I did the Dark Brotherhood quests in Oblivion and loved it :D

I have such a hard time playing bad guys though...it can be incredibly satisfying, but I like having everyone in the world like me at the Hero :)

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just picked this up last week and really enjoying it. Currently at High Hrothgar learning about the Shouts. Siding with the Stormcloaks at the moment but seriously thinking about the thieves guild/Dark brotherhood. I did the Dark Brotherhood quests in Oblivion and loved it :D

I have such a hard time playing bad guys though...it can be incredibly satisfying, but I like having everyone in the world like me at the Hero :)

I thought the thieves guild had a very interesting story line to go with it, so I definatly recomend doing that one (while you of course do some thieving as part of it, the only thing I recall feeling really guilty about in the questline was the first two quests to actually getting into the guild). I can't comment on the brotherhood quests in skyrim as I've not done those yet, but I also liked the oblivion ones until the final part of it.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
The Dark Brotherhood quests were pretty engaging. Well...the main story ones.

Pinker85

Been lurking for a while in this thread. I'm a wood elf mage. I sided with the Imperials but I find both sides to be pawns for the Thalmor. I think the rebellion is as much an attempt to weaken the empire by the Thalmor as outlawing Talos worship. Ultimately its a choice between turd sandwich and giant douche. I guess this time around I went with giant douche and my next character will choose a turd sandwich. :p

KDude

I've played both sides to it.. The only cool person in the entire questline is Rikke. Even if you side with the Cloaks.