• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

giegs

MBTI Type
INTP
Why must all their mouths look like they're sucking piss off a nettle?

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
It's freezing cold in Skyrim right? So their lips are probably frozen like that. *shrugs*

KDude

Yeah, they could use some chapstick..

But it's better than anything else Bethesda has done, shape wise.

Not sure about those Elves though. I know the whole "ethereal" elf thing is getting old, but these elves look like ghouls. They could have made them slightly more gay.. as elves should be.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I am so excited for this game I almost bought Two Worlds II as an appetizer.

Luckily I have an iron will, and abstained.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anyone here remember Daggerfall? The ghost King would always scare the shit out of me when I was a kid. Those were good times.

Definitely looking forward to playing Skyrim. :yes:

G

Ginkgo

In comparison to Oblivion's play-doh faces, the new head models are satisfying. Honestly, the facegen from oblivion was so finely tuned that it was almost superfluous. What's the point of making a gaunt, emaciated face, or a morbidly obese face, for a character that's inevitably buff?

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
What's the point of making a gaunt, emaciated face, or a morbidly obese face, for a character that's inevitably buff?

A question for the ages I guess.

I know the whole "ethereal" elf thing is getting old, but these elves look like ghouls. They could have made them slightly more gay.. as elves should be.

I don't know. I don't think you need any reminders of your unrequited love for a certain wood elf from Morrowind.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
That's the trend. According to the interviews with Todd Howard and other members of the team, the reasons for this are that they enjoy making an entirely new gameplay experience for each episode. I guess it's tempting to jump to the conclusion that they're trying to appeal to a wider audience, but yeah.

Honestly, I felt Oblivion was dumbed down because it holds your hand during quests. You didn't have to read or problem solve for hardly any of them, so it became a sandbox hack 'n' slash of sorts. However, there was a storehouse of lore and books that gave it a deeper feel.

Somehow Morrowind gave me more satisfaction than Oblivion, and it's probably because it didn't coddle me or follow my progress with a level scaler.

I liked the stories of the Dwemer I think they were called. I was always excited to find a ruin of the civilisation in game. Nothing more cool in the world than archaeology :D

KDude

Anyone playing this yet?

Like all Elder Scrolls games, I've been stuck in character creation for a day. :D

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I'm not really one to consider myself above gamers/geeks and the likes, but there is nothing more stupid than a room full of people ooh-ing, ahhh-ing, clapping and chanting during a video game demonstration.

Hehe -- true. Although people doing the same watching others *play cards* is pretty close... I mean, they can't even see the cards.

I did buy a copy yesterday, and so far, I'm satisfied. I still prefer the "BioWare RPG formula" that's more story and character-driven than the Bethesda "open RPG" formula, but so far, I've had fun. I don't think I'd call it gripping (like I often find BioWare's games), but I have enjoyed it more than I did Fallout 3 (which I quit about 4 hours in when I couldn't get into it).

KDude

You'll find the same geekiness at an Apple expo, I think.

Yeah, I prefer Bioware too, but it seems this is a little more story driven than other Elder Scrolls titles so far (at least, it can be if you don't wander off too much).

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I just did a search on BioWare... Are you referring to the Dragon Age games?

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
BioWare's done Dragon Age, Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, the Mass Effect games, as well as Baldur's Gate, etc. They've been doing the same basic formula for years (Baldur's gate was released in 1998). They all center on a protagonist who accumulates companions in a group format, where each companion character has their own accompanying storyline and interactions with the main character. I think I've played them all but Jade Empire, and I've liked them all. What they aren't is an "open world", like the Bethesda games (the early games are a little more so, but that's really a different generation as far as technology goes). They tend to involve a fairly linear storyline (sometimes broken into parts that can be done in any order, but are still linear), with more emphasis on story, but less freedom than you'll get in something like Skyrim. Probably said more than you were looking for, didn't I? :)

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
BioWare's done Dragon Age, Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, the Mass Effect games, as well as Baldur's Gate, etc. They've been doing the same basic formula for years (Baldur's gate was released in 1998). They all center on a protagonist who accumulates companions in a group format, where each companion character has their own accompanying storyline and interactions with the main character. I think I've played them all but Jade Empire, and I've liked them all. What they aren't is an "open world", like the Bethesda games (the early games are a little more so, but that's really a different generation as far as technology goes). They tend to involve a fairly linear storyline (sometimes broken into parts that can be done in any order, but are still linear), with more emphasis on story, but less freedom than you'll get in something like Skyrim. Probably said more than you were looking for, didn't I? :)

haha, no that makes sense. You prefer a more linear experience that focuses more on character development/storyline. I'm not sure what I prefer as RPGs aren't so much my thing. I guess I just don't invest the time, but I'm sure I could find a game I really enjoyed that fits the genre. I'm interested to try some things out. I haven't played any of these games (BioWare or Bethesda).

KDude

haha, no that makes sense. You prefer a more linear experience that focuses more on character development/storyline. I'm not sure what I prefer as RPGs aren't so much my thing. I guess I just don't invest the time, but I'm sure I could find a game I really enjoyed that fits the genre. I'm interested to try some things out. I haven't played any of these games (BioWare or Bethesda).

Long length is good. Think of it this way: games are too expensive. But at least you pay the same price for a 50+ hour RPG as you do a 12 hour action title.