• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

F

FigerPuppet

THE TRUTH DAWNS IN FIRE!

dragonborn_1280x800.jpg

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9eGtyqz4gY"]wad[/YOUTUBE]

Amazing 40-minute gameplay

15:50 made me tear up.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm. Morrowind was before its time, so it was awesome!

But I didn't like the controls much in Oblivion and the graphics (especially character models) didn't quite meet my expectations, for me that brought the gameplay factor down quite a bit and the rest of the game wasn't awesome enough for me to keep playing through it (Although I did like the bow mechanics quite a bit).

I'll be sure to check out Skyrim though, maybe it will surprise me. :D

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
It looks a bit too much like an action game for a fan of Morrowind (as I am), but maybe it's just an impression...

G

Ginkgo

It looks a bit too much like an action game for a fan of Morrowind (as I am), but maybe it's just an impression...

That's the trend. According to the interviews with Todd Howard and other members of the team, the reasons for this are that they enjoy making an entirely new gameplay experience for each episode. I guess it's tempting to jump to the conclusion that they're trying to appeal to a wider audience, but yeah.

Honestly, I felt Oblivion was dumbed down because it holds your hand during quests. You didn't have to read or problem solve for hardly any of them, so it became a sandbox hack 'n' slash of sorts. However, there was a storehouse of lore and books that gave it a deeper feel.

Somehow Morrowind gave me more satisfaction than Oblivion, and it's probably because it didn't coddle me or follow my progress with a level scaler.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
That's the trend. According to the interviews with Todd Howard and other members of the team, the reasons for this are that they enjoy making an entirely new gameplay experience for each episode. I guess it's tempting to jump to the conclusion that they're trying to appeal to a wider audience, but yeah.

Honestly, I felt Oblivion was dumbed down because it holds your hand during quests. You didn't have to read or problem solve for hardly any of them, so it became a sandbox hack 'n' slash of sorts. However, there was a storehouse of lore and books that gave it a deeper feel.

Somehow Morrowind gave me more satisfaction than Oblivion, and it's probably because it didn't coddle me or follow my progress with a level scaler.

Same. Exactly. I felt like the world was living "without" me, and whatever actions I tried to execute in order to finish my quests had to take into account such a situation - the whole game design felt as if I was starrting my own adventure, as opposed to a predetermined plot created by the game designers. Oblivion never managed to convey this sensation.

G

Ginkgo

Same. Exactly. I felt like the world was living "without" me, and whatever actions I tried to execute in order to finish my quests had to take into account such a situation - the whole game design felt as if I was starrting my own adventure, as opposed to a predetermined plot created by the game designers. Oblivion never managed to convey this sensation.

I think they tried to take a different angle by making you feel that way through Oblivions Radiant AI, but ultimately I feel the same way you do about Morrowind. Despite the NPCs just being pieces of cardboard propped up for you to nab quests from, Morrowind felt more alive, somehow. In the realm of imagination. Which is really the stuff of RPGs.

The more realism is incorporated into a video game, the less imagination it requires to pull the pieces together, and the less options you have.

Don't get me wrong, I love the combat systems and the new ways of killing shit that will be available in Skyrim. It's not going to be as whimsical as Morrowind, possibly more intimidating than Oblivion. We'll just wait and see. I'm still psyched though.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Looks pretty awesome...

screenshot_246007_thumb_wide940.jpg

Ah, the typical console blooming effect to hide the low-rez textures. A very poor job of doing so, I might add. The PC version will look better, I guarantee it. I think that the seventh generation of consoles has had more than its run. It's time for the eighth generation.

KDude

I've yet to complete or (really enjoy) any elder scrolls games, but I have this preordered anyways.. :D Says more about me just being a fan of the genre than anything. I kind of hate a lot of bethesda's design decisions.. I can only hope this will be better.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm gradually getting more and more jazzed for this game. I'm especially happy to see crafting implemented, and I can't wait to see if they did any of it the "Craftybits way" (especially since I've spent 2.5 years working on the mod). Like...can cooking be done in front of you and on the fire? Can I roast meat on a spit?

If not, then my team and I will just work on remaking Craftybits for Skyrim. Maybe the new engine will allow for better scripting and more realistic survival things. Skyrim seems like it would be perfect for that sort of mod with its blisteringly cold weather and very large, edible mammalians.

Anyway, I sooo look forward to making my pickpocketing woodsman. :D

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
I don't want to be much of a fanboy, but I'm predicting the only way this game is going to suck is if it lets you get 10-20 hours in and then it corrupts your OS and deletes all your saved games or something.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I don't want to be much of a fanboy, but I'm predicting the only way this game is going to suck is if it lets you get 10-20 hours in and then it corrupts your OS and deletes all your saved games or something.

Heh -- the game of the future... complete this quest or "something's really at stake"!

I might give this a shot. I've never played Morrowind or Oblivion, but I've got a friend whose opinion I respect who really enjoyed both of them (and is looking forward to Skyrim). I *did* try Fallout 3 (made by the same team, I believe)... which just completely flat-out bored me. I tried... *really* tried, to enjoy it... but it was just a massive "blah" for me. I'm not a big graphics-hound, but I mean, how many shades of brown and gray were there in Fallout 3?

Rather than the sandbox-style games, I tend to like more story-driven RPG's with companion characters with their own storylines, abilities, and tactical contributions. Heavily influenced by playing great Bioware games like Baldur's Gate, KoToR, Dragon Age, etc.

KDude

I'm in the same boat. I think you'll find a lot falling in the bioware camp vs the bethesda camp. Yet, since this genre's dry as it is, I will throw my money at Bethesda anyways.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
I *did* try Fallout 3 (made by the same team, I believe)... which just completely flat-out bored me. I tried... *really* tried, to enjoy it... but it was just a massive "blah" for me. I'm not a big graphics-hound, but I mean, how many shades of brown and gray were there in Fallout 3?

All possible shades I believe. ;)

Not everyone is into sandbox RPGs, they do take longer to get into. I happen to prefer the variety of gameplay though, compared to more linear RPGs which tend to box you in to particular playing styles.

I'm not saying Skyrim will be a great game, but it will definitely be a good game. Unlike a lot of RPGs that barely make the grade.

KDude

I'm not saying Skyrim will be a great game, but it will definitely be a good game. Unlike a lot of RPGs that barely make the grade.

OK, that's true enough. There are so many bad rpgs lately it's not even funny. It actually hurts me to play through 5 minutes of Two Worlds, for example. That game tries to be like a Bethesda game, but it's so bad. At least Bethesda actually does Bethesda well.. even if I don't like it much.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Morrowind was the best Bethesda game, IMHO. It was extensive and had a well-equipped graphics department, yet still left the user relatively free in his wandering. Plus, many of the sub-plots were very well scripted.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Yet still left the user relatively free in his wandering.

Before they invented the magic compass. ;)
Morrowind was a game you could get lost in!