• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Varnishing acrylic on canvas

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I just completed four acrylic on canvas paintings. I have also been working on refinishing a table, so I have a can of polyurethane to varnish the wood and stain.

I am wondering if there is any reason not to use the same polyurethane I am using on the wood for the paintings. I have done some research but there is not a great deal of information specifically about the differences between wood polyurethane and the kind of paintings (what I did find implied they are essentially the exact same thing). Some have mentioned using it on wood, but the only mention of using it on canvas I could find said it could potentially crack since canvas is flexible. Apparently acrylic paint is quite porous, and polyurethane is designed to be used on wood sanded to be porous if I am not mistaken.

Currently I am planning on using the same polyurethane. I'll do a test on an inconspicuous area first, of course, but I can't find great reason not to... does anyone know more about this?

Oh, and these paintings are for decoration in my apartment, and I have no intention of selling them or giving them away.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
It worked okay. The polyurethane was a little bit too thick for it to spread evenly over it, and it very very very slightly smudged one of the colours (I guess it wasn't 100% dry). I just touched it up a bit and it looks good now. I think I'll buy an actual painting varnish though because it will just be a lot easier to apply evenly.