• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movies that make you cry (saddest movies)

Darya

Enneagram
4w5
1. Sounds a bit cheesy but recently, saw "Goodwill Hunting" for the 10th time and cried...A romance which seems to be between an INFJ woman and INTP man..Can we just love someone without having any expectations? why do we always need to define relationships so rigidly?

2. Finding Neverland , cried so much that I couldnt breath...

3. An Affair to Remember ( relationship between Grant's lover and his grandmother...

4. this year Oscar winner for the Best Foreign Movie : The Seperation" made me cry..The complexity of human relationships..

Lark

Lots of ones, most recently two films about the holocaust. I've been reading about it and watching films about it recently.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^oh yeah. schindler's list and sophies choice. I can't really even watch them.

Ave

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't understand how somebody could find Schindler's list a sad movie.
Rocky IV has brought me to tears a few times.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
While I can be moved by a compelling performance, and very appreciative of creative expression, I've never had a sad movie make me cry. I got misty once for a moment during a performance that was not sad, but an uplifting scene that embodied a valuable/beautiful concept. That's it, though.

I've played a role in a theatrical performance before [just college/community stuff] that brought some people to tears. I thought it was kinda cool.
The fact that I'm always sort of taking apart themes/actors/elements of the production might play a role in my somewhat more emotionally detached viewings of films, etc. Like I don't get swept away/lost, but I certainly do enjoy & value the concepts/themes for what they're worth, if that makes sense...

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
While I can be moved by a compelling performance, and very appreciative of creative expression, I've never had a sad movie make me cry. I got misty once for a moment during a performance that was not sad, but an uplifting scene that embodied a valuable/beautiful concept. That's it, though.

What about a sad documentary?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What about sad documentary?

Nope. I can be extremely moved, experience empathy, but it doesn't bring me to tears.

*i should probably note that it takes a lot to trigger crying in general, and I have a personal, ingrained aversion to it, as I am./shrug

Permabanned
I've always been pretty detached and there aren't any movies that I can recall making me cry per se, maybe moved by the story line, like Schindler's list, Life is beautiful, The Pianist are a few that come to mind. ISFP ex used to be upset at violence/gore and call me insensitive.

However, I've had a number of unspecified occasions where a movie scene would induce emotional recall including watery eyes, which, I speculate, is out of resonance with unconscious memories, that get slightly revived/stirred up. This could be any movie, and not necessarily just a very sad one.

KDude

However, I've had a number of unspecified occasions where a movie scene would induce emotional recall including watery eyes, which, I speculate, is out of resonance with unconscious memories, that get slightly revived/stirred up. This could be any movie, and not necessarily just a very sad one.

I think I know what you mean. I don't even understand it. Like the end of David Lynch's mulholland drive got me all sad and shit. I don't know why. It's not a depressing movie. There was just something positive and absurd about it, at the end.

Within

Permabanned
I remember watching the return of the king a year ago after a party. When Amon Amarth, exploded I felt emotionally overwhelmed looking at the faces of Gandalf & the gang expecting Frodo and Sam to have given their lives. I guess my way of crying includes an awkward chuckle while tearing up.

The only other time I can bring myself to remember that I had such a powerful reaction to something I watched, was probably when I was enjoying the show Angel and Fred got hollowed out by one of the old gods. But that was rather caused of me already being imbalanced and it resembled a panic attack more.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think (emphasis in think; I'm not sure if what I rmember is correct or not) when I was a real little kid, I may have cried while watching The Land Before Time (the original, none of that wretched sequel bull shit); the scene where Little Foot's mother dies.

Beyond that, I don't think any movie I have ever watched has ever brought me to tears. I have watched Schindler's List and Grave of the Fireflies, and although while saddening to the heart, I did not weep once.

Nicodemus

The Plague Dogs. It makes Bambi look like a romantic comedy. :puppy_dog_eyes:
I was very fascinated - because scared - by 'Watership Down' as a child. I saw 'The Plague Dogs' as a child, too, but my memory of it was much weaker. Today I hold both films in rather high esteem.

The music is quite effective as well: