• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movies that make you cry (saddest movies)

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I couldn't get Gladiator off my brain for weeks. Edward Scissorhands and Terminator II really moved me as well... if the lead is of high moral standing, undergoes intense hardship and it all ends tragically for the character, I will cry. lol

Wtf :aquiver:... lions suffocate their prey first.

T2 was fucking awesome, one of my all time favs.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Most of these did or came ridiculously close, but were stunted by the presence of others.
All Dogs Go To Heaven
P.S. I Love You
A Walk To Remember
Selena
Time Traveler's Wife
Up
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
My Sister's Keeper
Children of Men

So many of them revolve around someone's death and I get very bawfest over it.

A

Anew Leaf

I forgot one:

The Fox and The Hound. I saw it when I was 3 or 4, whenever it came out. My parents loved telling the story of taking me to see it because at the end when the fox and the hound are gazing up at the stars... I started bawling... along with the rest of the kids in the theater. The adults? They were all laughing their butts off because of the sniffling. My heart still hurts just thinking about it!

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Sappy movies don't tend to have much of an affect on me. However, there are some films I get misty eyed over (as someone put it earlier) but few made me really cry.

Cry a little
Out of Africa
The Hours
Evita
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Like a baby
The Pianist
United 93
Titanic
The English Patient

I can also cry at strange things, like the opening of Valkyrie :blush:

The saddest I've ever been is when the mum in Muriel's Wedding burns the lawn.
I cried at that too. Its one of the most haunting scenes I've ever seen. I was absolutely shattered by it and I struggled to shake it afterwards. And it is extremely rare that a scene would affect me like that. Normally, the emotions end with the movie.

mavericknm

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Can I ask what you cried about in Kick-Ass? (I'm gonna guess it's the scene where Hit Girl says goodbye to daddy, since I can't imagine another... unless it was tears of laughter in various spots.)

Dang you're about 30 seconds off from picking the correct frame in the movie. This is a bit uncanny. Its actually the montage action scene of hit girl's rescue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXIghJfan4M

Its possible that as an ISTJ I foresaw Big Daddy's Shakespearean death which might have contributed to the tears but for me its the build up of the character. Its knowing all of Hit Girl's years of training are coming together in this one scene. Its how Cage shouts "switch to Robin's revenge", Hit Girl understands it, and it works. Its the way adiago in D minor and the sound of intermittent yet continuous fire are just obstacles.. Its the thesis of her life's work, and its beautiful.

The same goes for Walle. Its not the loss of Walle's consciousness that made me cry. It was the culmination of the community coming together to realise their goal of getting the plant to the center.

So perhaps I don't cry from sorrow. But rather I cry for happiness.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Its possible that as an ISTJ I foresaw Big Daddy's Shakespearean death which might have contributed to the tears but for me its the build up of the character. Its knowing all of Hit Girl's years of training are coming together in this one scene. Its how Cage shouts "switch to Robin's revenge", Hit Girl understands it, and it works. Its the way adiago in D minor and the sound of intermittent yet continuous fire are just obstacles.. Its the thesis of her life's work, and its beautiful.

Nice. And as soon as you start to describe it, I now do remember being choked up at that part, although I think I had more conscious thought of how much she loved her father and trusted him (despite actually being more skilled than him in some ways), and how much he loved her and knew he wasn't going to make it, yet was being brave for his little girl and doing whatever he could to make sure she remained unhurt...and how it was all smoothly syncing up in this last piece with them together.

mavericknm

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Nice. And as soon as you start to describe it, I now do remember being choked up at that part, although I think I had more conscious thought of how much she loved her father and trusted him (despite actually being more skilled than him in some ways), and how much he loved her and knew he wasn't going to make it, yet was being brave for his little girl and doing whatever he could to make sure she remained unhurt...and how it was all smoothly syncing up in this last piece with them together.

Oh for sure. Without cage's cries of care the scene would be nothing. I should have mentioned that more explicitly. Hit girl, to this day, has pretty much lived for her father. Perhaps its the perfect ISTJ parent's dream to see their child's training in action. So much loyalty, trust and caring.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh for sure. Without cage's cries of care the scene would be nothing. I should have mentioned that more explicitly. Hit girl, to this day, has pretty much lived for her father. Perhaps its the perfect ISTJ parent's dream to see their child's training in action. So much loyalty, trust and caring.

Yeah, in that scene, she is truly her father's daughter, and he knows he has fulfilled his fatherly duties and equipped her to live and become everything she could be.

wolfy

awsm
I cried at that too. Its one of the most haunting scenes I've ever seen. I was absolutely shattered by it and I struggled to shake it afterwards. And it is extremely rare that a scene would affect me like that. Normally, the emotions end with the movie.

I get that... You know, I didn't actually cry. It was more of a deep sadness. I could've cried though.

gromit

likes this
I get teary-eyed the most often at scenes when people are rallying for one another, loyalty.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I get teary-eyed the most often at scenes when people are rallying for one another, loyalty.

It's weird, but I usually (not always) get hit way harder by hard-earned moment of happiness or small joys than by a sad event. For example, the scene with the book in Up hits me a lot more than that opening montage.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not technically a movie, but this little guy always got to me, too.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM0MXvE2lnU&feature=related"]Kiwi[/YOUTUBE]

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The Man in the Moon.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't tend to cry at big, epic films which are making some profound point. They'll touch me, make me think, etc, but they don't usually produce tears. An exception might be The Elephant Man....that will make me cry.

Otherwise, I tend to get teary-eyed over smaller, more individual moments. Nothing profound, but just glimpses of everyday sadness.

This movie sucks, but in Hope Floats, the scene where the little girl runs after her dad as he's leaving the family, and he tells her she can't come with him.

In Muriel's Wedding, when she breaks down crying in the dressing room of a wedding boutique, saying "Why can't it be me? Why can't I be the one? ".

Others: Dancer in the Dark, I Loved You So Long, Closer

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
The Pursuit of Happyness. The scene in the bathroom at the subway station and the ending (Will Smith's eyes just kill me in that scene).

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
Hrm... I can't remember when I last cried in a movie... I would have been a child I suspect.

There are a few films that have gotten to me though. I thought "Milk" was amazing and equally pissed me off and inspired me. "Mrs. Brown" was also pretty amazing. Made me contemplative for days afterwards: did they or did they not? Duty or love or both?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Secretariat. Those bastards at Disney once again. :cry: