• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movies that make you cry (saddest movies)

Mae

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5sp
I get emotional and cry at anything even remotely sad on film. It's kind of embarrassing, actually.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
A few:
The entire last 15 minutes of Toy Story 3.
Twice in Up -- the opening flashback sequence, and the scene later when Fredricksen REALLY takes a good at the picture book he and his wife had together.

Pixar has a gift for this kind of thing. Iron Giant is also pretty sad at points, in terms of kids films.

Which was weird for me, since the movie [Schindler's List] content was pretty harsh... I was mortified by much of it ... but I don't think I actually cried. It just seemed so stark to me.

I think that's true for most of the film, except maybe the part at the end where be breaks down about how he could have done more.

Nerd Girl said:
I don't cry at movies

It is possible you have not seen the right movies. There's only a select few that actually make me shed a tear.

A

A window to the soul

It is possible you have not seen the right movies. There's only a select few that actually make me shed a tear.

When some movies suddenly get real, I've felt touched and choked back tears, but it's nothing I couldn't keep under wraps. I guess I do that because it's tough to watch people cry. I try to remain strong so I don't bring people down with me. I haven't seen a movie yet that I couldn't handle. : D

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
When some movies suddenly get real, I've felt touched and choked back tears, but it's nothing I couldn't keep under wraps. I guess I do that because it's tough to watch people cry. I try to remain strong so I don't bring people down with me. I haven't seen a movie yet that I couldn't handle. : D

This makes sense. I also consciously keep things in check seeing a movie with others. When I am alone, I'll more readily display emotional response. But, aside from Dear Zachary, no movies ever gotten more than a few tears out of me even in private.

One I just remembered: When I was a kid (around age 10) I cried at the Green Mile. Especially when that one guy (not the messiah character, but the guy who took in the mouse) died. I saw the movie again for the first time recently and did not respond nearly as strongly.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I cry over everything. I'm easily moved by good dramatic film making.

This is one of the latest films I recall that I *really* cried over.

51G%2B3Tic4QL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

V

violaine

With some of these, I didn't cry during the sad parts, I was *baww*ing during the uplifting parts.

Sophie's Choice (which I only saw recently. GD), The Secret Life of Words, You Can Count on Me, The Orphanage, Antwone Fisher, The Shawshank Redemption, Snow Falling on Cedars.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pixar has a gift for this kind of thing. Iron Giant is also pretty sad at points, in terms of kids films.

Oh, yeah, I cried at the end of that too, when he says goodbye and then pictures himself as Superman when going to meet the missile.

I think that's true for most of the film, except maybe the part at the end where be breaks down about how he could have done more.

I empathized with him there, but didn't feel any sort of emotion that would lead to me actually crying.

Also, Revolutionary Road. I blame the soundtrack...

Wow. That was a brutal movie, honestly. Not as relentless as Requiem for a Dream, but parts of it had the same stark emotional brutality.

I find I cry when people are making huge sacrifices for something they believe in and make that journey alone (because I think often the sacrificial road IS one that people end up walking alone).

I even cried at the end of Beauty & The Beast, first when the Beast chooses to let Belle go, knowing it would cost him everything... and then at the end where Belle comes back but he dies, and she realizes she loved him all along but it's too late... and then there's this beautiful transformation/redemption. My kids always made fun of me for crying when we watched that together.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Oh geez...Grave of the Fireflies. I didn't think I'd ever be able to stop crying.

But that's a rare one. I tend to be really suspicious of movies that pull on my heartstrings. Like they're emotionally manipulating me. So I retaliate by being as stoic as possible.

However, more than making me cry, there are some movies that just sit with me and sit on my emotions like a big warm, sad blanket. The Orphanage and the Painted Veil were two such movies. Many of the Pixar movies and many of Hayao Miyazaki's movies as well.

Generally, the less a movie tries to be sad in a sad scenario, the sadder I feel. :laugh:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I've never shed a tear over a film, but like others have said, Grave of the Fireflies came pretty close. That's pretty much the only one.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What Dreams May Come

Up

and thanks to having some sadistic teacher make us watch it on the very last day of senior year of high school Stand By Me

needless to say, I hate all of those movies because of it :thelook:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What Dreams May Come
Up
and thanks to having some sadistic teacher make us watch it on the very last day of senior year of high school Stand By Me
needless to say, I hate all of those movies because of it :thelook:

Awww... we already know you're a big softie!

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Wow. That was a brutal movie, honestly. Not as relentless as Requiem for a Dream, but parts of it had the same stark emotional brutality.

Excellently put. The emotional brutality was what made me feel funny on the inside... :(

Also, I forgot to mention the ending of Million Dollar Baby. Damn you, Eastwood. :boohoo:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also, I forgot to mention the ending of Million Dollar Baby. Damn you, Eastwood. :boohoo:

Uggh. I don't even think I knew how to feel at the end of that movie. I was just... dazed.

Eastwood is pretty good that way, not a lot of emotional excess, just letting the story hit you for what it is. Pretty stark.

I saw the same sort of thing in "No Country for Old Men," which I think the Coen Bros did. I wasn't really UPSET or able to cry over it although some of the violence was pretty bad, I just felt like I was watching this story unfold and was left more stunned by it. Emotionally, it was rather a vacuum, even thought the story felt very real to me. Felt the same way about True Grit too.

V

violaine

^Ugh, yes, it is.

I'll add "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" to the list, but that is so utterly depressing it makes it difficult to feel anything but numb. It was kind of an annoying movie in a way because I think they were trying to tug pretty hard at the heartstrings. I'm more prone to crying in movies where someone overcomes, than in movies where sad situations are milked. I walked out of "La Vie En Rose" because the director was trying to tug so hard, it was annoying!

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Braveheart makes me cry every time I watch it in its entirety. Usually right at the end with some tearing at times during.

That's the only one that's actually made me cry, I think. Lots of romantic comedies or just romantic stuff will make my eyes tear momentarily, though. I rather enjoy that.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
My eyes invariably tend to tear up a little bit during the last ten minutes of Philadelphia.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
The entire last 15 minutes of Toy Story 3.

I watched it one night when the kids had it on. It. Was. TERRIBLE. When my oldest was little the first Toy Story came out. He wore out the video and he is the same age as Andy. I won't watch it again.

The Green Mile
Monsters, Inc..
Miracle
The Iron Giant
Wall-E....ok every Pixar and/or Disney movie.
E.T.
Finding Neverland
Sophie's Choice
Angels in America
The end of 24/7 The Road to the Winter Classic. Not a movie but sad all the same.