• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Eminem vs. Jay-Z

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
You decide- who does who in?

[YOUTUBE="bHXxc77iYDI"]Renegade- Jay/Emenim[/YOUTUBE]

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't see how rap has stayed on top this long, personally. So many other genres came and went much faster, but rap truly hasn't evolved much at all in 30 years.....the only thing I can figure is, the record companies have got it easier when they can pluck any fool off the streets and make him a star. It doesn't take much skill to be a rapper.

You can track the history of rap, & this is kind of a musician secret here, by looking at the rhythmic style that rappers use... in the 80s & early 90s for example people used a funkier flow, lot of rhyming emphasis on the 2 & 4 beat, there was a less relentless focus on rhyming at the end of the line & they would wrap (heh) the words around a few beats & there was a lot of overlap, a lot of syncopation where the rhythm pulls & stretches over the beat. Whereas rappers now have usually a slower or more staccato flow, they hit the 1 & 3 beat a lot, the rapping has a more evenly-divided rhythm, a lot of times you can tap along & see that each word hits an eighth note & they rhyme more at the end of the bar.. etc. :wizfreak:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm admitting that I just jumped in earlier mostly to dump on JayZ. He seems to always ruin my day when I hear his voice. I'm not really an Eminem fan either, but sometime he's witty and clever. I'm not a rap fan, I'm also not a rock fan or a country fan or an R&B fan. I'm a fan of music that I like. Somtimes that is rap.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah it seems like a pretty random comparison to make.

Eminem with DMX or Nas or some kind of idea-focused or personal-problems rapper would make more sense.

whereas Jay-Z would make sense with uhhh... the Beastie Boys or Asher roth maybe (jokie)

(notice the subtle racism here)

:wizfreak:

yeah i was thinking nas would be a better comparison. and he definitely beats eminem.

T

ThatGirl

Two completely different styles. Jay Z while not talking about shitty everything is, is brilliant. He has more of a, "yeah I started at the same place as you, and look at me now, now what?" vibe to him. While Eminem is more talented in his lyrics, but incredibly negative. Jay Z is a climber, and Eminem is a bring it down to its facts. Jay Z is inspirational and positive, Eminem validating and creative.

I like them both, but Jay Z better. Eminem kind of screwed himself by being so extreme on the negative side to develop his career. Now that is what it is what his fan base looks forward to. While Jay Z fans tend to like the, "I did it" mentality of his lyrics.

Eminem is like Edgar Allen Poe and Jay Z is kind of like Mozart.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Two completely different styles. Jay Z while not talking about shitty everything is, is brilliant. He has more of a, "yeah I started at the same place as you, and look at me now, now what?" vibe to him. While Eminem is more talented in his lyrics, but incredibly negative. Jay Z is a climber, and Eminem is a bring it down to its facts. Jay Z is inspirational and positive, Eminem validating and creative.

I like them both, but Jay Z better. Eminem kind of screwed himself by being so extreme on the negative side to develop his career. Now that is what it is what his fan base looks forward to. While Jay Z fans tend to like the, "I did it" mentality of his lyrics.

Eminem is like Edgar Allen Poe and Jay Z is kind of like Mozart.

my thoughts exactly. Eminem is too depressed and melacholy. Jay Z is more "shut up and dance niggaz!"

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You can track the history of rap, & this is kind of a musician secret here, by looking at the rhythmic style that rappers use... in the 80s & early 90s for example people used a funkier flow, lot of rhyming emphasis on the 2 & 4 beat, there was a less relentless focus on rhyming at the end of the line & they would wrap (heh) the words around a few beats & there was a lot of overlap, a lot of syncopation where the rhythm pulls & stretches over the beat. Whereas rappers now have usually a slower or more staccato flow, they hit the 1 & 3 beat a lot, the rapping has a more evenly-divided rhythm, a lot of times you can tap along & see that each word hits an eighth note & they rhyme more at the end of the bar.. etc. :wizfreak:

I'm impressed ... such amazing evolution... wow. :cry:

Last edited:

uncommonentity

Jay-Z has plenty things to say. He's just a bit shit at putting them out. His net worth ($450 million+) compared to Eminems ($115 million+) speaks for itself. Jay-Z knows what he's doing. Eminen clearly doesn't with what he's put out since The Marshall Mathers LP. I feel Jay-Z is a planter of many seeds. His tracks may not always come to your attention or your tv screen but boy do those motherfuckers get bumped in car stereos daily throughout NY.

Who's the better artist? Jay-Z. He knows what he's doing and he's made it work for himself. Who's the better rapper? Eminem. He puts more effort into studying syllables and fine tuning his word play. And then there's Big L.....

;)

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
This track is so gat damn nasty.

[YOUTUBE="rJOsjP33nF4"]Bad Meets Evil - Fast Lane[/YOUTUBE]