• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

According to Erm the best show of all time is 'Game of Thrones'

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
I'm halfway through the first season. it's good, but sorta standard "violence mixed with weird sex" HBO fare.

Aside from these visceral attractors, the interweaving story lines are interesting enough.

I like the horse-lord Queen's rise to power arc especially.

Beorn

Permabanned
Excellent show. I couldn't wait for the next season so I started reading Clash of kings after I finished watching the last episode. At some point I'll go back and read Game of thrones, but I definitely am able to keep up with everything in book 2 just based on what happened on the show.

The funny thing about the sex is that the book already has plenty of weird sex and yet HBO still felt the need to add the story line of the red headed prostitute into the story line when it was never in the books.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I am legitimately curious about what'll happen if/when this show gets to its later seasons, considering it's based on a series of 7 of books, of which 5 are out (the fifth JUST came out) and it seems like the author takes up to 5 years per book. I don't know how they can possibly film/get to the last book on a seasonal TV schedule because it probably won't be out for quite some time. I guess they could pad the other books to last multiple seasons (some are very long, I think the first is easily the shortest of the first five).

And there already is a thread specifically about Game of Thrones, so this thread does need to be about something slightly different.

Nicodemus

I know you're jealous, but trying to play down how important I am to this thread won't help.
People tend to fall prey to a good sham. When I am finished with this thread, they will think that 'erm' refers to no more than mumbling. Once that is achieved, I will no longer have any reason to be jealous. So, actually, it does help.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I think it's great, even though it's not really my cup of tea. I'm about halfway through the first book but thus far, it's sticking fairly close.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been watching it so far and although it's not my favorite TV show of all time, I do quite like series that are basicly big movies and not too episodic in nature. So I'll give it big points for that!

Also, the effects are movie standard and the acting is quite decent. But that is seen more and more in tv series nowadays so it's not the only one following those high standards.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I've been watching it so far and although it's not my favorite TV show of all time

I'd argue that bestowing that title ten episodes in (I think it was only like 8 in when this was first posted) is jumping the gun, or implies one has seen very few TV shows of any real quality or of this timbre.

A

Anew Leaf

I've read the series and the first book is not my favorite. It's not a bad book by any means at all... It's just the author has to spend so much time setting up the series with backstory and motivations, etc... The second book hits the ground running and the third book.... I won't say anything further.

I was impressed with how well they condensed down the monstrosity that is GoT into a coherent 10 episode arc. You DO miss a lot of extra back story... but they touched on a lot of the more important points quite well.

What you didn't see enough of was Ned's thoughts as he thought about his sister's death... extremely important to the entire series if one of my hunches is correct as to where the series is headed.

I am on pins and needles for the 5th book to finally arrive next Tuesday. :bunnyglee:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
6 years later...

I haven't seen The Wire or anything, but Game of Thrones definitely got really good S4 on imo. If the first three weren't good though, I wouldn't be watching it, now would I? :D

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If a show is widely loved in its 1st season, it will be hated by the 7th.

The reverse holds true, if hated in season 1 and it makes it to a 7th season, it will be widely loved by its 7th.

If the show is a spinoff of a popular fictional franchise, expect the above rules to apply tenfold.

I'm thinking about calling this Hurley's Rule. Or maybe the Lost Rule (it doesn't have to be 7 seasons for the rule to work, as it's usually going to apply with anything running 5 or more seasons)--or the TNG Rule, in the case of franchise spinoff series.

Regardless of whether a long-running series begins loved or hated, it is often the 4th season (sometimes the 3rd; generally speaking the peak usually comes around the early to halfway point of a series' life--writers and producers have gotten into a good routine and understanding of the characters, but there are still a lot of fresh ideas and arcs to explore before they reach the bottom of the barrel) which exists as the fulcrum point, or the "peak". Everything before or after will always be compared to the peak (even the shows that went from hated to loved will usually be measured up against that peak season--"It's great but season 4 was the peak"), and that point in the series will either be regarded as the point where the show "got really good" or "jumped the shark". See also the TV Trope "Growing the Beard'

Despite some hiccups in seasons 5 and 6, it really seemed to be season 7 of GoT where the fanbase started to turn and everyone started loving to hate GoT rather than loving it. And 4 is usually regarded as the best GoT season by miles. It's a prime example of Hurley's Rule. Many showrunners will know this and make efforts to wrap up their series by the 5th or 6th season (Breaking Bad, for example) in order to end "on a high note".

Dexter is also a perfect example. To a tee, with season 4 as the widely accepted "peak".

Could also think of it as the Hate for Love's Sake Rule.